Start by marking “Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail” as Want to Read:
Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demonstrating the Holy Spirit's power. Roberts Liardon faithfully chronicles their lives along with their teachings, their spiritual discoveries, and many revealing photos. William J. Seymour, Aimee Semple McPherson, Smith Wigglesworth, and Kathr ...more
Published May 15th 2003 by Whitaker Distribution (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gods Generals Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods Generals Volume 1

God by Robert WoegerThe Mystery of the Shemitah by Jonathan Cahn6 Lies People Believe About Divine Healing by Steve BremnerFoundations of Pentecostal Theology by Guy P. DuffieldThinking in Tongues by James K.A. Smith
Pentecostal Christianity
55th out of 73 books — 30 voters
William and Catherine Booth by Helen Kooiman HosierPaper Roses by Amanda CabotVisions Beyond the Veil by H.A. BakerKnight of the Purple Ribbon by Jennifer Leigh WellsCharles Spurgeon by J.C. Carlile
Historical Christian Stories
19th out of 28 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
I was fascinated by this book. I was inspired, humbled, but most of all hopeful that God can take the simplest person who is willing to be used and make changes in this world that we live in. I am recommending this book to everyone I know. It has given me a new vision as to what God meant for the church to be in the world.
Emily
WHEW. What a read. This book made me cry, made me shout out loud, and at times just made me close my eyes and praise God for His kindness and goodness. It's a book everyone on earth should read and come to some conclusion over - either dismiss the whole thing as a pack of lies, or ask God "Is this for real?" and wait for the Heavenly response. (If the inquiry is serious, everything is so carefully annotated in this book, that they can check it out themselves in the secular press records that com ...more
Brian
This book gives a short, but thorough description of the lives of 12 men and women who impacted the entire world for God, specifically in the realm of divine healing. The power and authority that God released to these men and women was nothing less than Awesome. Some of them, however, fell away from their divine call. Some used their God given gifts for their own glory and influence and they suffered much for those choices. What I love about this book is that it stretches me to ask God for more ...more
Yemic
hmm, Where can i start.. I was really humbled and challenged by the stories of the great men and women. Faith that moved mountains, Healing miracles that shut critics up. Even when things were not going well and in front of opposition, this people still going. I was really painful to know that other people (Christians) who lacks understanding, without knowledge of what the power of the Holy spirit, were part of those persecuting them.

One must always stay connected to the holy spirit at all time
The
I could have weep after reading this book. Thank God I'm a man. I must for every Minister of God. Let him that thinks he stand s be careful lest he falls.
Aaron
I had no idea the church Body had such a colorful historicity. This book deals with that history in the period of the late 19th century to the late 20th century. I don't know why we do not reference these people and the movements they were part of more often. How the past fades, the past fades in our memories.

I am most impressed with the people who have the least flaws. The people who seemed to truly seek God's will in their life for the entire span of their lives — they ran with patience.

John
Rubin Carpenter
Great book Not only a biography of spiritual leaders but many practical life lessons included. I've read this book many times never tire of returning to it this one isn't an add to the list this one should be on the shelf of your personal library.
Bj Richardson
On the one hand, this book is amazingly inspiring and I have found myself praying recently things like, "Where is the God of Smith Wigglesworth? Or of Amy Semple McPherson?" It has encouraged me to stretch my faith and to believe more from God.

On the other hand, Roberts Liardon clearly has his biases and favorites. He skims over or rationalizes away some of the failures or sins of certain "generals" while harping on much more minor issues or foibles from "generals" he approves of far less. At ti
Melissa Boggs
I really enjoyed reading this book! I found myself intrigued by the lives of these men and women who accepted the call to ministry. Many of them gave up tremendous dreams to follow the ministry call.
Bernard Bentley
Such a great book. This book shows how God utilizes every day and seemingly ordinary people and turns them into great masterpieces for the work of his kingdom. Such a great ministry encouragement.
Jeremiah
Great book about people that God has used in a mighty way. He does tend to gloss over some of their faults. I really enjoyed the Smith Wigglesworth and John Lake bios..
Jeff Carpenter
This is an excellent book. Features 12 mini biographies of some of the most spiritual revival ministers in history. This book was not what I envisioned when I picked it up, it was much more. Indispensable to any library of religious history. Inspires me to go out and find out more about the people that are covered in this edition. The author is obviously well versed in his subject and has a writing style that flows very well. The only drawback to this book is that only a chapter is devoted to ea ...more
Abraham Christonia
I want to be a blessing too
Thomas
The book chronicles the twelve very influential people Christian Church History that had sings and wonders manifested as part of their ministries. It is a GOOD read because it points out both their successes and their failures. It is a GREAT reference, that you will find yourself consulting again and again, as these names (like John G. Lake, Kathryn Kuhlman and John Alexander Dowie) are brought up by many other authors.

This book reveals keen insight into how the modern day church has arrived at
NiceToMeetYou!
VERY PRECIOUS, VERY HELPFUL BOOK! Must must read as soon as possible!
Paul
Wonderful stories ... combined with comments from the author that are sometimes helpful and sometimes distracting. It's fuzzy how well researched the historical portions are, but the author makes a good attempt at portraying successes and disappointments. I re-realized how much evangelism was the focus of these "revivalists" and often via physical healing, especially since "renewal" amongst the Body has really been the only "move" in the past generation.
Breakthru International
Gods Generals made such an impact on me. It was inspiring and sad at the same time.

Looking at the lives of people who we sometimes elevate as superhuman, this book makes each individuals story real and transparent. They were ordinary people who had an encounter with an extraordinary God.

Some of the failures are still being repeated today but, for those who read this book with an open, teachable spirit their lives will be changed for good.
Jean
This is a great book outlining the lives of some of God's Generals. It's not only a biographical work but one of life lessons for any person pursuing the ministry. This book will give you insight of the cost to have a miraculous ministry. I recommend this book to any believer or non believer that's interested in Church History or the Miraculous.

Luke
If you ever want to learn about the Historical Great Christians that came before us and learn about their lives, successes and failures, you MUST read this book. I learned so much about the power of the Holy Spirit and what earnestly seeking Him and having a relationship with God looks like. Excellent book!
Ian
incredibly inspiring and interesting book on Charismatic and Pentecostal revivalists of the late 19th and 20th century. Liardon writes about a pot of people I've never even heard of. incredible to see how much God has done on a huge scale recently. You can learn a lot from this book I think.
Bright
Mar 10, 2012 Bright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every soldier in the Army of the Lord
Recommended to Bright by: Damanka, Eric Edem
Robert really did a great job to come out with this great piece. It is exactly what the Church needs to know. As a young minister, I constantly try to avoid their flaws. I need not experience it before I could learn. It might be too late.
Thandokwakhe
We are sharing this with my wife. I have read three profiles already of some great men and women that God used to initiate great revivals of the last century or two. I am still to read more once Sindi is done with it.
Edward Fong
Very in depth and resourceful book on how God used men in the past to show His power as well as the faults and failures of those men to be an example for us to learn from on what not to do in our walk with God.
Phoenix
I loved it. This book showed the miraculous side of the ministries of theses men and women, but it also showed the pitfalls and mistakes that were made.
Velyn Cooper
Fantabulous! Makes it very plain that the excellency of the power is of God and not of man, therefore we must stay correctly connected to God.
Vrbeyond
If you enjoy reading about the one's who have gone before us, who have ministered around this world. This is the book for you.
Jonathan
Well worth a read, outlines fathers / mothers of the faith and how they spread the message of Jesus and how God helped them out.
Catherine
Inspiring read. Also informative. Learned a lot about God and about revival by reading about revivalists from the past.
Flo
awesome. amazing. genius.
learned so much from it!

i think it.s one of my favourite books!!
Barry
Great book of some great men and women of God. Really encouraging to read.
  • The Supernatural Ways of Royalty
  • Face to Face with God: Transform Your Life with His Daily Presence
  • John G. Lake: His Life, His Sermons, His Boldness of Faith
  • The Call
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • The Blood Covenant
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
  • Compelled by Love: How to Change the World Through the Simple Power of Love in Action
  • Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • The Essential Guide To Healing
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • The Most Important Year in a Man's Life/The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life: What Every Groom Needs to Know/What Every Bride Needs to Know
God's Generals Volume 2: The Roaring Reformers Smith Wigglesworth: The Complete Collection of His Life Teachings God's Generals Volume 3: The Revivalists Kathryn Kuhlman: A Spiritual Biography of God's Miracle Worker I Saw Heaven