Start by marking “Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail” as Want to Read:
Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  918 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demonstrating the Holy Spirit's power. Roberts Liardon faithfully chronicles their lives along with their teachings, their spiritual discoveries, and many revealing photos. William J. Seymour, Aimee Semple McPherson, Smith Wigglesworth, and Kathr ...more
Published May 15th 2003 by Whitaker Distribution (first published January 1st 1997)

God by Robert WoegerThe Mystery of the Shemitah by Jonathan Cahn6 Lies People Believe About Divine Healing by Steve BremnerThinking in Tongues by James K.A. SmithActivating a Prophetic Lifestyle by David   Edwards
Pentecostal Christianity
75th out of 92 books — 33 voters
William and Catherine Booth by Helen Kooiman HosierPaper Roses by Amanda CabotVisions Beyond the Veil by H.A. BakerKnight of the Purple Ribbon by Jennifer Leigh WellsCharles Spurgeon by J.C. Carlile
Historical Christian Stories
19th out of 28 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Mar 02, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated by this book. I was inspired, humbled, but most of all hopeful that God can take the simplest person who is willing to be used and make changes in this world that we live in. I am recommending this book to everyone I know. It has given me a new vision as to what God meant for the church to be in the world.
Kingsley Okei
Jun 08, 2015 Kingsley Okei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love God's Generals. I read this book the first time in 2003 when I saw it with friend, I think. I read the book, and then went ahead to buy my own copy...read it again and again, until the pages all removed and went autonomous; and now, I've bought a new copy (I guard this one like life, though).

God's Generals shot some fire into my spirit as a young believer with a call into the ministry. I saw how ordinary men and women like John Alexander Dowie, John Lake, Smith Wigglesworth, Maria Woodwor
Brian
Jan 27, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
This book gives a short, but thorough description of the lives of 12 men and women who impacted the entire world for God, specifically in the realm of divine healing. The power and authority that God released to these men and women was nothing less than Awesome. Some of them, however, fell away from their divine call. Some used their God given gifts for their own glory and influence and they suffered much for those choices. What I love about this book is that it stretches me to ask God for more ...more
Yemic
Apr 05, 2014 Yemic rated it it was amazing
hmm, Where can i start.. I was really humbled and challenged by the stories of the great men and women. Faith that moved mountains, Healing miracles that shut critics up. Even when things were not going well and in front of opposition, this people still going. I was really painful to know that other people (Christians) who lacks understanding, without knowledge of what the power of the Holy spirit, were part of those persecuting them.

One must always stay connected to the holy spirit at all time
The-Evangelist
Sep 22, 2013 The-Evangelist rated it really liked it
I could have weep after reading this book. Thank God I'm a man. I must for every Minister of God. Let him that thinks he stand s be careful lest he falls.
Karla
Apr 01, 2015 Karla rated it it was amazing
This book took my faith to another level. Life changing!
Aaron
Apr 18, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I had no idea the church Body had such a colorful historicity. This book deals with that history in the period of the late 19th century to the late 20th century. I don't know why we do not reference these people and the movements they were part of more often. How the past fades, the past fades in our memories.

I am most impressed with the people who have the least flaws. The people who seemed to truly seek God's will in their life for the entire span of their lives — they ran with patience.

John
Ellie
Aug 25, 2015 Ellie rated it it was ok
Really inspiring stories mixed with sloppy scholarship. In some sections only one external text was quoted, leading me to believe I could've read the quoted book instead. There is also a strange lack of comment about the early Pentecostal church's involvement with the Ku Klux Klan. It is usually cast in the light of "well, money is money" and that the leaders knew the KKK was wrong *while thinking they follow God!* but hey, they had to build the church. Had to drop it.
And7883
Sep 16, 2015 And7883 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I couldn't put this down. Holy Spirit is all over this book and it is wonderful. I learned so much from these past men and women of God . After every chapter I found myself reflecting over my own personal walk with God and praying for his help and guidance. Plus the history is just fascinating! God is so good. Thank you for this book!
Rubin Carpenter
Sep 16, 2014 Rubin Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Great book Not only a biography of spiritual leaders but many practical life lessons included. I've read this book many times never tire of returning to it this one isn't an add to the list this one should be on the shelf of your personal library.
Bj Richardson
Dec 09, 2014 Bj Richardson rated it liked it
On the one hand, this book is amazingly inspiring and I have found myself praying recently things like, "Where is the God of Smith Wigglesworth? Or of Amy Semple McPherson?" It has encouraged me to stretch my faith and to believe more from God.

On the other hand, Roberts Liardon clearly has his biases and favorites. He skims over or rationalizes away some of the failures or sins of certain "generals" while harping on much more minor issues or foibles from "generals" he approves of far less. At ti
Melissa
Aug 07, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book! I found myself intrigued by the lives of these men and women who accepted the call to ministry. Many of them gave up tremendous dreams to follow the ministry call.
Bernard Bentley
Mar 03, 2014 Bernard Bentley rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. This book shows how God utilizes every day and seemingly ordinary people and turns them into great masterpieces for the work of his kingdom. Such a great ministry encouragement.
Jeremiah
Mar 28, 2014 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Great book about people that God has used in a mighty way. He does tend to gloss over some of their faults. I really enjoyed the Smith Wigglesworth and John Lake bios..
Ruth Ropper
Apr 12, 2015 Ruth Ropper rated it really liked it
Very interesting book, although quite focused on American revivalists with only a couple from the UK. Would be good to have more from other countries as well as more recent ones as well.
It gave a very interesting insight into a lot of well known names in the Christian arena over the last couple of centuries. It does not spare anything and shares they downfalls as well as their amazing teaching, miracles from God of healing and salvations.
The one thing I think it shows is that everyone is fallib
Christopher Huszar
Apr 09, 2015 Christopher Huszar rated it it was amazing
So great to get to learn of the successes and failures of many of God's vessels of honor from the 19th and 20th centuries.
Jeff Carpenter
Mar 26, 2012 Jeff Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This is an excellent book. Features 12 mini biographies of some of the most spiritual revival ministers in history. This book was not what I envisioned when I picked it up, it was much more. Indispensable to any library of religious history. Inspires me to go out and find out more about the people that are covered in this edition. The author is obviously well versed in his subject and has a writing style that flows very well. The only drawback to this book is that only a chapter is devoted to ea ...more
Abraham Christonia
I want to be a blessing too
Thomas
Jan 01, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book chronicles the twelve very influential people Christian Church History that had sings and wonders manifested as part of their ministries. It is a GOOD read because it points out both their successes and their failures. It is a GREAT reference, that you will find yourself consulting again and again, as these names (like John G. Lake, Kathryn Kuhlman and John Alexander Dowie) are brought up by many other authors.

This book reveals keen insight into how the modern day church has arrived at
Michael
Aug 26, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!
NiceToMeetYou!
May 18, 2014 NiceToMeetYou! rated it it was amazing
VERY PRECIOUS, VERY HELPFUL BOOK! Must must read as soon as possible!
Paul
Nov 27, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Wonderful stories ... combined with comments from the author that are sometimes helpful and sometimes distracting. It's fuzzy how well researched the historical portions are, but the author makes a good attempt at portraying successes and disappointments. I re-realized how much evangelism was the focus of these "revivalists" and often via physical healing, especially since "renewal" amongst the Body has really been the only "move" in the past generation.
Breakthru International
Apr 16, 2012 Breakthru International rated it it was amazing
Gods Generals made such an impact on me. It was inspiring and sad at the same time.

Looking at the lives of people who we sometimes elevate as superhuman, this book makes each individuals story real and transparent. They were ordinary people who had an encounter with an extraordinary God.

Some of the failures are still being repeated today but, for those who read this book with an open, teachable spirit their lives will be changed for good.
Jean
Jan 21, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
This is a great book outlining the lives of some of God's Generals. It's not only a biographical work but one of life lessons for any person pursuing the ministry. This book will give you insight of the cost to have a miraculous ministry. I recommend this book to any believer or non believer that's interested in Church History or the Miraculous.

Luke
Jan 02, 2009 Luke rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to learn about the Historical Great Christians that came before us and learn about their lives, successes and failures, you MUST read this book. I learned so much about the power of the Holy Spirit and what earnestly seeking Him and having a relationship with God looks like. Excellent book!
Ian
Jun 23, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing
incredibly inspiring and interesting book on Charismatic and Pentecostal revivalists of the late 19th and 20th century. Liardon writes about a pot of people I've never even heard of. incredible to see how much God has done on a huge scale recently. You can learn a lot from this book I think.
Bright
Mar 10, 2012 Bright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every soldier in the Army of the Lord
Recommended to Bright by: Damanka, Eric Edem
Robert really did a great job to come out with this great piece. It is exactly what the Church needs to know. As a young minister, I constantly try to avoid their flaws. I need not experience it before I could learn. It might be too late.
Thandokwakhe
Oct 29, 2010 Thandokwakhe rated it liked it
Shelves:
We are sharing this with my wife. I have read three profiles already of some great men and women that God used to initiate great revivals of the last century or two. I am still to read more once Sindi is done with it.
Edward Fong
Dec 03, 2009 Edward Fong rated it it was amazing
Very in depth and resourceful book on how God used men in the past to show His power as well as the faults and failures of those men to be an example for us to learn from on what not to do in our walk with God.
Phoenix
Apr 21, 2012 Phoenix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. This book showed the miraculous side of the ministries of theses men and women, but it also showed the pitfalls and mistakes that were made.
  • John G. Lake: His Life, His Sermons, His Boldness of Faith
  • The Supernatural Ways of Royalty: Discovering Your Rights and Privileges of Being a Son or Daughter of God
  • When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles
  • The Call
  • The Two Kinds of Righteousness
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • Visions Beyond the Veil: Visions of Heaven, Angels, Satan, Hell, and the End of the Age
  • Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • The Happy Intercessor
  • Compelled by Love: How to Change the World Through the Simple Power of Love in Action
  • The Ultimate Treasure Hunt: A Guide to Supernatural Evangelism Through Supernatural Encounters
  • The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life/The Most Important Year in a Man's Life: What Every Bride Needs to Know / What Every Groom Needs to Know

“Never sway from what God has commanded you to do in the earth. No matter what your age, your generation has not passed until you exit the earth and enter heaven. So if God has commanded you to fulfill a commission, make it your utmost priority as long as you live.” 1 likes
“The lesson here is this: Do what God says to do, nothing more and nothing less. There is no game here. There is one move, and it belongs to God. Your job is to follow it.” 0 likes