Start by marking “Four Texts on Socrates: Plato's Euthyphro, Apology and Crito, and Aristophanes' Clouds” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is the only collection of the Platonic dialogues that also includes the Clouds, a work that is fundamental for understanding the thought of Socrates in relation to the Athenian political community and to Greek poetry.
Published September 1st 1984 by Cornell University Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Four Texts on Socrates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Texts on Socrates

Joel Allyn Skoda
Good and challenging read, but I found it extremely difficult to masturbate to.
Jessica Evans
The texts themselves are a 5 (with the exception of Aristophanes Clouds, which is a 3), but the person who wrote the analysis and footnotes is highly motivated to assassinate the character of Socrates, which I don't appreciate or find in good form. The author's religious pretensions get in the way of his competence, as the concept of a pre-christian martyr who claimed a personal relationship with the divine is taken to endanger the divinity of christ by making martyrdom a mere recurring human pa ...more
Michael Griffith
I read Apology and Clouds in college, but wanted to take a look at Euthyphro & Crito and re-read Apology. I'll probably re-read Clouds fairly soon.

As a whole, the collection is sensible, but it missing Phaedo and Phaedrus (too lazy to Google these spellings), but then it would be six texts. The translation reads well, but the notes are often too long and should have been end-notes or shortened.

Individually, Euthyphro is a good "intro" to Apology and reads more like a traditional dialogue, ve
John Wiswell
Nov 15, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy readers, religious readers, classics readers, all thinking readers
All four including texts are interesting, but none so much as Socrates' own Apology. Today an apology is an expression of doing something wrong and the wish to make amends. Socrates was not apologizing as we apologize. In line with Christian apologetics, his Apology was the explanation and defense of his views and actions. He deconstructed reason and perception in a very humble way, one that he might not have done if he wasn’t facing execution. Regardless of biographical psychoanalysis, this mig ...more
Apr 08, 2013 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Reading Socrates's methods of logic and arguments was just like getting in an argument with my husband - neither forgets a single twist of the conversation, and both will lead you down a path using questions of logic until you end up trapped into agreeing to the opposite of what you had originally thought. It was fun to not be on the receiving end of it and for once just enjoy the journey through logic land.

I enjoyed each of the four parts of this book, although all of Plato's items went on too
David
This is one of the best translations of Plato I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I've read Euthyphro and parts of Apology and Crito in Greek, and I was deeply impressed by West and West's rigorous fidelity to the original (in all its strangeness, with all its wordplay and intricate phrasing) while producing intelligible English. Their notes are very good and offer insight for the reader without Greek into the tricks Plato and Socrates are playing with their language. I can't comment on the t ...more
Kerry Price
An interesting effort at a more literal translation from the Greek. The attempt to put the language in context was much appreciated. Not at all pleased with the introduction - the outright rejection of relativist morality seems ridiculous in an introduction to the Euthyphro in particular.
Emo
Wish there was more context provided to the material. Also was not impressed that translation was meant to be more literal then other translations--I don't like literal--it misses the poetic value of Plato-on Socrates. So only 4/5 since the original texts are already awesome.
Jonathan
I give it only four stars because of the great care that must be taken when reading the style of writing that Plato used. Five stars though for the philosophical revelations hidden inside the pages.
Jacob Stubbs
Excellent for providing an introduction to Socrates and Plato. Read this as an introduction to the Republic. Allows for great insight into the Republic.
Ashton
I only read Aristophanes' Clouds, and the least one might say is "vulgarity." Although at times I laughed at some humorous parts...
Dylan
written in a way that seems unnecessarily complicated, not all that captivating or interesting. just same old Socrates
Elizabeth
This is not for the basic philosophy student but a comprehensive study of Plato's writtings on Socrates.
Michael
Great collection of dialogues with a wonderful translation.
Maria
Really enjoyed them all.
Shantanu Singh
Shantanu Singh marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Aster Brown
Aster Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Gayathri
Gayathri marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Dean Brickland
Dean Brickland marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Crazyarms777
Crazyarms777 marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kayla Mannlein
Kayla Mannlein marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Harley
Harley marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
  • Treatise on Law
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
  • Augustine: A Very Short Introduction
  • Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins
  • Letters and Sayings of Epicurus (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius
  • History of the Theatre
  • Greek Art and Archaeology
  • Plato: A Very Short Introduction
  • On Tyranny
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Philosophical Fragments (Writings, Vol 7)
  • The First and Second Discourses
  • The Stoic Philosophy of Seneca: Essays and Letters
  • On the Advantage and Disadvantage of History for Life
  • New Atlantis and the Great Instauration
  • Discoveries and Opinions of Galileo
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo