Start by marking “Four Texts on Socrates: Plato's Euthyphro, Apology and Crito, and Aristophanes' Clouds” as Want to Read:

This is the only collection of the Platonic dialogues that also includes the Clouds, a work that is fundamental for understanding the thought of Socrates in relation to the Athenian political community and to Greek poetry.
Published September 1st 1984 by Cornell University Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Four Texts on Socrates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Texts on Socrates

Sep 17, 2011 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and challenging read, but I found it extremely difficult to masturbate to.
Having read other dialogues, I found Euthyphro and Crito standard Socratic fare: many questions, bit of back and forth, no-one knows anything. The apology was different though, and refreshing for it. We get to hear more of a speech from Socrates, and what seems like, a bit of a straighter talk. Its in the Apology we find the eternal phrase "The unexamined life is not worth living". If the accounts we find here are reflective of what happened, then the whole thing is very sad. We still don't have ...more
Jessica Evans
Jan 15, 2015 Jessica Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The texts themselves are a 5 (with the exception of Aristophanes Clouds, which is a 3), but the person who wrote the analysis and footnotes is highly motivated to assassinate the character of Socrates, which I don't appreciate or find in good form. The author's religious pretensions get in the way of his competence, as the concept of a pre-christian martyr who claimed a personal relationship with the divine is taken to endanger the divinity of christ by making martyrdom a mere recurring human pa ...more
Michael Griffith
I read Apology and Clouds in college, but wanted to take a look at Euthyphro & Crito and re-read Apology. I'll probably re-read Clouds fairly soon.

As a whole, the collection is sensible, but it missing Phaedo and Phaedrus (too lazy to Google these spellings), but then it would be six texts. The translation reads well, but the notes are often too long and should have been end-notes or shortened.

Individually, Euthyphro is a good "intro" to Apology and reads more like a traditional dialogue, ve
John Wiswell
Nov 15, 2007 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy readers, religious readers, classics readers, all thinking readers
All four including texts are interesting, but none so much as Socrates' own Apology. Today an apology is an expression of doing something wrong and the wish to make amends. Socrates was not apologizing as we apologize. In line with Christian apologetics, his Apology was the explanation and defense of his views and actions. He deconstructed reason and perception in a very humble way, one that he might not have done if he wasn’t facing execution. Regardless of biographical psychoanalysis, this mig ...more
Apr 08, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!
Reading Socrates's methods of logic and arguments was just like getting in an argument with my husband - neither forgets a single twist of the conversation, and both will lead you down a path using questions of logic until you end up trapped into agreeing to the opposite of what you had originally thought. It was fun to not be on the receiving end of it and for once just enjoy the journey through logic land.

I enjoyed each of the four parts of this book, although all of Plato's items went on too
Feb 29, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best translations of Plato I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I've read Euthyphro and parts of Apology and Crito in Greek, and I was deeply impressed by West and West's rigorous fidelity to the original (in all its strangeness, with all its wordplay and intricate phrasing) while producing intelligible English. Their notes are very good and offer insight for the reader without Greek into the tricks Plato and Socrates are playing with their language. I can't comment on the t ...more
Broc Christian
Kerry Price
Sep 10, 2008 Kerry Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting effort at a more literal translation from the Greek. The attempt to put the language in context was much appreciated. Not at all pleased with the introduction - the outright rejection of relativist morality seems ridiculous in an introduction to the Euthyphro in particular.
Alex Ryan
Jan 09, 2016 Alex Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex by: Philosophy Class
Shelves: philosophy
I really enjoyed this book, the way that Plato demonstrates the way that he reasons through issues is fascinating. His arguments are brilliant and i really enjoyed the dialogues. Also interesting to read about the development of a real person through more or less fictional writings.
Mar 26, 2012 Jerad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish there was more context provided to the material. Also was not impressed that translation was meant to be more literal then other translations--I don't like literal--it misses the poetic value of Plato-on Socrates. So only 4/5 since the original texts are already awesome.
Dec 09, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it only four stars because of the great care that must be taken when reading the style of writing that Plato used. Five stars though for the philosophical revelations hidden inside the pages.
Jacob Stubbs
May 16, 2011 Jacob Stubbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, drama
Excellent for providing an introduction to Socrates and Plato. Read this as an introduction to the Republic. Allows for great insight into the Republic.
Sep 25, 2007 Ashton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only read Aristophanes' Clouds, and the least one might say is "vulgarity." Although at times I laughed at some humorous parts...
written in a way that seems unnecessarily complicated, not all that captivating or interesting. just same old Socrates
This is not for the basic philosophy student but a comprehensive study of Plato's writtings on Socrates.
Mar 05, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of dialogues with a wonderful translation.
John Bird
Apr 01, 2016 John Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, philosophy
Everyone should read 'Apology'.
Mar 10, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed them all.
Tracy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Syed Kalam
Syed Kalam marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Jonathan Biascan
Jonathan Biascan rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Mike Alday
Mike Alday marked it as to-read
Mamoun Elbadry
Mamoun Elbadry marked it as to-read
Buddy Luh
Buddy Luh marked it as to-read
Akande R
Akande R rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Morganfurore rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Siti Hodizah
Siti Hodizah marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
  • Women in the Classical World: Image and Text
  • Protagoras/Meno
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
  • Plato: A Very Short Introduction
  • Treatise on Law
  • Letters and Sayings of Epicurus (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • History of the Theatre
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • Greek Art and Archaeology
  • Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins
  • The First and Second Discourses
  • On Tyranny
  • Augustine: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius
  • The Political Writings of St. Augustine
Aristophanes (Greek: Αριστοφάνης; c. 446 BCE – c. 386 BCE) was a playwright of ancient Athens.

About 11 of his works are known in full, and they are the only plays of the "Old Comedy" style to have survived. They are The Acharnians, The Birds, The Clouds, The Ecclesiazusae, The Frogs, The Knights, Peace, Plutus (Wealth), The Thesmophoriazusae, and The Wasps. These plays have been translated into m
More about Aristophanes...