24-Karat Kids

24-Karat Kids

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Meet Dr. Shelley Green - newly minted pediatrician. After graduating medical school at the top of her class, Shelley is hired by Madison Pediatrics, the Upper East Side's most exclusive practice. Suddenly this self-described 'schlumpy girl from Jackson Heights' is thrown into the world of the rich, famous, and very neurotic. Her life is about to change in a big way.

Hyper-...more
Published June 13th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 24-Karat Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24-Karat Kids

Diana
I was really into it... I mean, I really liked it. It's a very girly book, chick lit, beach read, whatever. I love books about the Upper East Side and this one was giving me what I wanted, descriptions of the snotty, rich and famous. Then all of a sudden...

Well, what would you do if you were speaking to someone and in the middle of telling you a story they just stopped. Like, "Well I was walking in the street, and all these cars were coming, and then there was a bear running towards me and then...more
Tanya Brunnelson
A light and quirky read. Even though I guessed every character's drama before the author revealed them (beyond predictable), I was totally let down by the ending. It was abrupt and left so many strings dangling. I hate wondering what happened to certain characters! Still - definitely the type of easy reading I needed at the moment.
Katie
A quick. light, chick lit read about an upper east side pediatrician - entertaining - especially b/c the main character does everything right and has all the right answers 2 weeks out of residency and always says the right thing to parents..ha!
stephanie
a welcome, wonderful surprise. seriously. first there's the fact that the cover is genius (i hate that they don't have the paperback cover for you to see) - but it looks like you could be reading a book about child-rearing, instead of a beach blonde book. i mean, it lists a DOCTOR as the first author.

then there's the fact that it's the first novel i've encountered that decided to chart the territory of the UES pediatricians' offices. (there is seriously so little territory left to write crap ab...more
A fast light read. Enjoyable as a beach-read, chick-lit type book.

I certainly don't think much of the nouveau rich or the sense of entitlement that the upper class set in this book has. I enjoyed the author's commentary on hyper-parenting and the wonderful rapport that the main character had with the children in her practice. I was a bit worried that the book was going to end with her having lost herself, however. I was eager for her to rediscover the person she was inside with the beliefs that...more
Maneesha
A cute book with a 'Devil Wears Prada' storyline...poor Queens girl gets job at upscale Manhattan practice, gets sucked into the lifestyle and then realizes how much better off she was before she changed etc., etc.

The heroine is lovable and it was nice to read a book where the protagonist is a successful career woman. My only problem with the whole book was that the ending was a little abrupt for me. I mean, you knew what was coming, but the book ended so soon after the climax it kind of felt t...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book. To me, it read like a memoir of a doctor named Shelley Green's first year as a practicing doctor, rather than fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed this very quick read. It gave me a glimpse into the lives of the affluent in New York's Upper East Side, as well as East Hampton society. I found it charming, and would recommend it to my friends as good light-hearted chick lit.
Valerie B
Its a light summer read. It was cute and entertaining but if you're looking for something with more meat on it, this isn't it. Its fluff. Not bad, just not Charles Dickens. It was a story about a pediatrician who's trying to balance her old life with her new one. She has to learn a few lessons in who her real friends are. Some romantic drama. All in all a good beach read.
Kara
Pediatrician figures out that everything isn't golden amongst the fabulous Manhattan set.
Lauren
I might be my love of medicine, combined w/ my love of kids, but I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a little short. I especially liked the pediatric cases that came into the dr. office. I do hope there is a sequal, there seems to be plenty of material for another story. It's a quick, delightful read!
Crystal
If your looking for a fun, easy, innocent, beach read than this is a good one.
A little humour, an little romance, a little life struggle, and just a little "yea right".
The book does end a little suddenly but since it's not a deep book I didn't feel it ruined anything.
Jess
this is the most recent book I picked up at the local library. An interesting beach read, reminiscent of Jennifer Weiner's "fish-out-of-water" style of writing as the young Jewish pediatrician tries to carve herself a place in Manhattan's most exclusive medical practice.
Christy
A doctor joins a practice that caters to only the most privileged children money can produce. She struggles to define her priorities in a world of fame and fortune. From the cover, I was expecting something less thoughtful. This was a pretty good chick lit.
Mirielle Korting
This book was very funny and I loved the characters!
Jamie
Along the same vein as The Devil Wears Prada and Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Nanny Diaries, but better, in my opinion. No "Southern-hating" like in DWP, no complete unreality like in COAS, and no complete self-absorption of the authors like in TND.
Richa
I thought the book was okay. I think the only thing that really held my attention was the medical part of the book. I could relate to the main character in some ways. Simple book, with a very simple storyline. It isn't to exciting but it's readable.
Erica
I read this while I was working at a summer camp where the campers were mostly from wealthy families from the Upper East Side of NY, so I really enjoyed the timing of the read.Overall I loved this book! Loved it!
Janelleehat
So I picked this book up at the library last week for a fun read and it was just that. A totally light-hearted, fun read. It was super funny and cute, some loose morals but she didn't go into any details. I enjoyed it.
Jen -only4lightn
This was a cute book about upper east side. It was mindless chick lit with some funny parts and a little life lesson too. While this book certainly wouldn't win any great literary awards, it is still an enjoyable read.
Bri
I really did enjoy this light easy book. I was disappointed that it ended so fast. Shelley is an easy to love character. Josh the bad boy I did not see coming. Great thrift store book find.
Cindy
The stories of upper east side parents are pretty humorous and probably true since the book is authored by a real NYC pediatrician. But the storyline is kind of predictable.
Karen
Dec 29, 2007 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes a quick, funny book.
If your are a person who deals with people who think they should be entitled, you'll get a kick out of this book. Even if you don't, you should have a good time reading it.
Karen
Um, yes, in a moment of weakness, i bought this for $4.99 at the local bookstore and finished it in a couple of hours last night. A great "i need to zone out book" ...
 Alysha Mae : )
I found this book while looking for a few other books in the library!!! Librarys are half of the mystry, it's what you find of them that makes it a full one!!!!
Omni
Jul 31, 2008 Omni rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fluff
ive been kind of bummed and exhausted and "as i lay dying" wasnt cutting it, so i picked up some fluffy distraction. This was vapid, quick, and mindless - perfect.
Michelle
She becomes a pediatrician for a bunch of stars and rich people, predictably falls into "the life", and just as predictably decides she's "deeper" than that
Monica
Incredibly predictable but a light, fun read. Quite possibly the quickest read of the summer - which is a feat considering I am only reading chick lit.
Jenlbot
I love mostly anything on the upper west side of NYC. Probably because it is my total fantasy to live there and will NEVER...cute story. Fun!
Sarah Krapec
Predictable story and mediocre writing at best. I finished it just to say I did but am looking forward to a little more substance in my next read.
Sherry Rebman
Mar 11, 2008 Sherry Rebman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nikki,Julie
This is a great laying by the beach book.
Or...such in my case..Not laying by the beach book! :)
It is an easy read and quite funny..
  • Tales from the Crib