Start by marking “The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)

The Moffat Museum (The Moffats #4)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  22 reviews
There has never been a museum in Cranbury...until now.
Among its treasures are the first bike each of the Moffat kids rode, stardust from a meteor that fell to earth, a beautiful painting made by Sylvie, and-most spectacularly-Rufus, the Waxworks Boy, who is as funny as he is waxy. The museum is so interesting that Mr. Pennypepper even brings tourists to visit.
But the museu
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Moffat Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moffat Museum

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favoritest Children's Books Ever!
354th out of 453 books — 405 voters
The Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Adventures of Tempest & Serena by Marty Mokler BanksThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. PendletonA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Books my niece might enjoy
84th out of 156 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Violet
August 2009 review:

This is the last story in the Moffat series. Janie, Joey, and Rufus Moffat decide to create a museum in their old barn out of all of the stuff that represents the Moffat family. People from all over town come to the free Moffat museum to see things like the bike that they all learned to ride on, a painting by done by their sister Sylvie, and much more. Besides the starting of the museum, Sylvie gets married, Rufus gets a paper route, and Joey gets a real job. Only Janie is lef
Chris Zupke
I read this to my 9 yo son at bed time. We both enjoyed it very much. Eleanor Estes' books are wonderful reads for the 8-10 range.
Isabelle G
This book was about the Moffat's lives and adventures. Each chapter was a new and different adventure. The first chapter was about how the kids made the first Mueseum in their neighborhood. The fourth chapter held a different adventure- the older sister's wedding! After she moved, in the seventh chapter, her younger sister went to visit her. Each in between chapter carried on about that adventure and every adventure held lots of new and interesting characters. The ninth chapter was about a holid ...more
Yagmur Akyurek
Once again the Moffat family is my most favorite family to read about!! SO TOUCHING
MomRd2Me
I love the all the Moffat books !
Trish
The last book in the Moffat series. I enjoyed this book, especially the details of the Moffat Museum. This book was written long after the other books in this series, and I feel it didn't stand up quite as well as those. I would still recommend it though. Eleanor Estes writes beautifully, and I love her mix of humor and bittersweet observation (i.e. the family's financial situation).
Melissa
I think this is the last book in the Moffat series, and I'm so sad to say goodbye to this darling family. Each book has made me love them even more. These books have made Paul and me laugh, and brought me close to tears. The Moffats are one of the happiest families I've ever met in a book, and yet they are poor, fatherless, and living with all the hardships of life during WWI.
Alice
It is always a joy to spend time with the Moffats. I just adore the stories of Cranberry, Ct in the 1910's by Eleanor Estes. I love that she shares these stories about 4 fatherless children who basically live in poverty and yet they are not poor--they are so rich with love and care and living life like children do--day to day glorying in simple things.
Emily
Estes excels at relating difficulties with a light touch rather than a heavy hand, such as when Joey quits school to go to work.

Cover art note: that huge meteor behind the stanchion is Tricia Tusa channeling Jane's imagination. All the Moffat museum had in it was "stardust". And the meteors weren't that large even before they were dynamited.
Jeannie
My favorite chapter was the train trip Jane took. This part seemed to capture the old series best for me. There were many moments throughout the book where I felt that, but overall I don't think it had quite the magic of the earlier books. I'm so glad Eleanor Estes wrote this last book, though. The best part was catching up on the family!
Amy
The 4th Moffat book. We liked the other 3 better but we kept on with this because we wanted to finish the series. We love slow moving books - but this one was SO repetitive that it was actually pretty annoying. OK then - I still loved the Moffat series and recommend it to anyone that likes to read sweet stories of childhood past.
Linda
The Moffat children create a museum in their old barn of artifacts from their lives. Sylvie gets married. Jane has an adventure on the train when she goes to visit her sister and her new husband. Joey leaves school to go to work. This charming story perfectly captures small-town life in turn-of-the-century Connecticut.
Lia
The Moffats and the Pye books accomplish something difficult. They capture the innocence and the angst of childhood with innocence without ignoring the larger world. They are sweet and sad, brilliant and beautiful.
Carolien
Sweet, adorable book. Eleanor Estes writes brilliantly about childhood. I love the idea of a family museum. Every child should make one.
Carrie
Feb 02, 2008 Carrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This Moffat book was written much later than the first three, and it's not as good.
Alicia
I love reading aloud the 4 Moffat books. They are so sweet and innocent!
Kate
Yet another book of adventures! What will they do next?!
Nora
MCL. I liked the first Moffat book best.
Montana Phan
Can you really start your own museum?
Linden
The last Moffat book.
Ursula
My 9YO girl loved it.
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Heather Albers
Heather Albers marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Alzia Ridlwan
Alzia Ridlwan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • When the Sirens Wailed
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
  • The Singing Tree
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...

The Moffats (4 books)
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)
The Hundred Dresses Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1) The Moffats (The Moffats, #1) The Witch Family The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)