Start by marking “Pinky Pye” as Want to Read:
Pinky Pye

Pinky Pye (The Pyes #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Meet Pinky, a furious black kitten who adopts the Pye family. The Pyes have some of the smartest pets around-there's Ginger the intellectual dog , and Gracie the clever old cat- but Pinky is more than smart enough to earn a place in the Pyes' hearts. She can box with Ginger, play games with Mr.Pye, and - Rachel and Jerry can hardly believe their eyes - even type out her li ...more
258 pages
Published (first published 1958)

Shawn Thrasher
Oct 07, 2015 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how many times I read this book, I come away renewed and re-charmed. It's an almost 60 year old book, but it's still crisp and enchanting, with it's small mystery and chatty yet wry narrative; reading Pinky Pye - really, reading Estes period - arouses an overwhelming sense of nostalgia for a another time and place (albeit one most likely nonexistent outside of children's books and fuzzy memories). I hope there are still families like the Pyes out there, children who can still be fasci ...more
Drew Graham
Jul 06, 2011 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: me
I didn't even know there was a sequel to Ginger Pye until I looked up reviews after recently re-reading it, and then I thought I might as well pick it up and see if the author was able to maintain the nostalgic, if dated, charm that was so notable in her first book. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the sequel much more than the first book!

Pinky Pye tells of the Pyes' summer in the northeastern US sea on Fire Island, and their discover of a remarkable and precocious abandoned kitten. Unlike
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This is a cute little story about a kitten named Pinky who is abandoned on Fire Island, and adopted by the Pye family while they are on vacation there. Pinky and the other family cat, Gracie, are the only ones who know the secret hiding in the attic of the Pye's vacation cottage. Pinky astonishes everyone on the island with her feline prowess and intelligence. The little family adventures keep the story interesting and fun!

The plot is fairly obvious, and the writing is nothing special; but the w
Ashley Blake
Aug 26, 2008 Ashley Blake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, I thought this book was awful. Previously, I read its predecessor, Ginger Pye, which was a Newbery Medal winner. Well, this one was not and it is clear why. The plot was so loosely constructed I found many of the chapters absolutely unnecessary which really should never happen in a book, much less a book for children. It was, altogether, boring. It's a shame because Eleanor Estes is a really great author and I love most of her novels. But with this one, in my opinion, she should ha ...more
Bekka
I love all the Eleanor Estes books, but particularly those about the Pyes and Moffats. This one is no exception. This is a charming and sweet tale, and a great follow up to "Ginger Pye," Estes Newbery Award winning book. This is a great read for both children and adults - kids will enjoy the adventure of the people and the pets, and adults will enjoy the charm and nostalgia for a simpler time.
Jenni Joru
Luettu suomeksi nimellä "Lintumiehen perhe". Mainio ja lämminhenkinen kirja, kivaa perhe-elämän ja eläinten kuvausta.

Kirjaa ei löydy suomeksi tästä palvelusta, mutta jos haluat lukea kommenttini, se löytyy Kirjasammosta, mistä löytyy myös teoksen kirjastoittainen saatavuus. Linkki:

Sudra
Sep 30, 2009 Sudra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i also really really really liked this book too. although i read it when i was little, i still think it was a good book. i like books that tell about peoples lives and this was perfect! i love this book. i think it was just as good as gynger pie and should deserve a medal too :-p!
Owen
WORST book ever,VEARY poorly written
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I really can't give this more than two stars. We have a saying in Spanish: Sequels are never any good. (Segundas partes nunca fueron buenas). That's certainly true of the Pye family story. I really enjoyed Ginger Pye; Jerry and Rachel are real kids, dealing with real kids' situations such as finding a lost pet. Unfortunately, in the second instalment Ms Estes is back to being "cute" and engaging in anthropomorphism. Nothing wrong with that if it's well done, but here it just grated on me. I'm a ...more
Kelsey Yates
Feb 24, 2017 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute.
Wayne S.
Sep 14, 2012 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Pye family is back, with nine (almost ten) year old Rachel, brother Jerry who is ten, Papa who is a famous ornithologist or bird man, Mama, three (almost four) year old Uncle Bennie, cat Gracie, and very smart dog Ginger. Mr. Pye has an assignment to do a study of birds on Fire Island, so he takes the whole family with him and rents a cottage appropriately named The Eyrie from Mrs. A. A. Pulie. While there, the Pyes adopt a little black cat with one white paw whom they name Pinky. And what i ...more
(ha)Ley
I read and enjoyed Ginger Pye and have long awaited this sequel, Pinky Pye. It wasn't a bad book. It just could have been so much better.

Here's the problem: it's too simple. Which is why I put on my "for-younger-kids" shelf and not on my "middle-grade-juvenile- fiction". The writing was SO simplistic, even more so than Ginger Pye. And my other main complaint: there's no problem, no crisis that they have to resolve. It's kinda boring. The Pyes go to Fire Island for vacation because of Mr. Pye's w
BookSweetie
Aug 20, 2012 BookSweetie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile

The 1958 sequel to Newbery-winning GINGER PYE by Eleanor Estes (1906-1988) that features the likable Pye family of Cranbury, CT, and that almost entirely takes place one summer on Fire Island at a cottage named, by its owner Mrs Pulie, the Eyrie.

And, yes, that name is a hint for the bird part of this vintage early 1900s family story where plot is thin, but revealing glimpses into the unique thoughts and actions of the various characters offer a sort of simple, warm-hearted and, at times, quit
Drew
May 09, 2013 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old-fashioned, comfortable children's book. Better and more focused than Estes' Ginger Pye, to which this is a sequel, but with the same warmth, and with the author demonstrating the same ability to get into a kid's head.

Here, the Pye family spends the summer on Fire Island where the father intends to study birds, but finds himself laid up with a sprained ankle instead. Housebound, Pye bonds with the newly-adopted kitten, who fascinates herself with the typewriter. Much of the charm of the bo
Alicia
Nov 27, 2011 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Another great cute novel! I loved the addition of Pinky. She was so sassy and had a lot more spice than Ginger. She was a cute, feisty, conceited, talented, observant little kitten. I wish I had a kitten just like her.

This book was also considerably less sad than the first one. There was a nice little mystery though, even if it was pretty easy to guess. Even after you guessed it, you just had to see what happened, how things would work out.

It was quite hard to believe that Pinky could actually
Kathleen
Jan 30, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my current phase of rereading childhood favorites, I stumbled on Pinky Pye at the library, as I cruised down the aisle in the childrens' room. OMG I remember reading this! And I reread it with relish, all these years (50 or more) later. Some children' books just don't cut it for adults. The best ones, however, are just as satisfying, often in different ways. Eleanor Estes is one of those authors. Although I figured out the 'mystery' long before the characters in the book did -- possib ...more
Logan
Sweet, rather slow story about a family who moves to an East Coast island for the summer so that the ornithologist dad can do some research on the local bird population and ends up taking in a clever and funny abandoned black kitten. Gentle humor that appealed to all of us (including my husband, who is more of a horror/thriller reader). We solved the "mystery" early on, but it was still fun to hear about the family and their pets. Especially if you've enjoyed Estes' other books, or the books of ...more
Courtney
Jun 22, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't like to compare books as I think each can be loved for their own. Having said that, Pinky Pye was better than Ginger Pye. This is because while Ginger Pye is delightful, it was so stressful with Ginger's disappearance. Pinky Pye is still delightful and because they're just enjoying their vacation on Fire Island it seems far more light-hearted and happy. Also, it had some of the best quotes and I learned the root of the word, bodaceaous, it was explained in this book and it was de ...more
Sep 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this as a family on our drive to Florida one winter. The 4 year old wasn't a big fan, but it was a highlight of the trip for our 8 year old daughter and both parents who were listening. We couldn't wait to get back in the car to listen after pit stops!

The story follows the Pye family for a summer month on Fire Island, which is a new place for them to explore while their father studies birds. They adopt a cat, Pinky, as a companion to their dog Ginger (another Estes story we will h
Janet
May 05, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute story about a family's summer on Fire Island, where their father is supposed to be studying birds but hurts himself and is confined to the yard. Mr. Pye spends more time studying the antics the homeless kitten the family adopts. Everyone agrees that the kitten - Pinky Pye - is quite brilliant - especially as she learns to type. Other members of the family take over the bird-watching (that is, his daughter and the two cats) and they make a remarkable discovery in their attic!! At times this ...more
Aarti
Apr 16, 2014 Aarti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentle and sweet story about the Pye family's summer adventure on Fire island. I read it together with my daughter. The language is excellent and appropriate for 3rd-5th grade. Lot's of little anecdote's to amuse the kids, about animals, birds along the way as the story builds up to a nice climax. The characters are entertaining with distinct personalities. I thought it was funny that the author even wrote from the point of view of the cat, she must be a cat owner.
Jen (Austentatious)
I previously read Ginger Pye and loved the book. I enjoyed this book just as thoroughly. It was a sweet read with a small mystery and lots of kitten antics. I would have adored this book as a child because I loved books that took place around the turn of the (last!) century. I was completely charmed and plan on reading more of Eleanor Estes books... I love the language, descriptions, and pace of the book. The storyline is engaging and amusing even to an adult reader.
Amber
Oct 10, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, sy10-11
Another great book by Eleanor Estes, we laughed a lot with this story. Pinky is by far the most interesting member of the family! "She is adorable, lovable, enchanting and fascinating. A whole book could be written about her and has been. Look in the library for it. Don't skip a word of it, it's all true." -a quote from Pinky Pye about Pinky Pye from the book Pinky Pye.
Annabel
Jul 02, 2008 Annabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I liked Ginger Pye a little more than Pinky Pye, but it still was pretty well- written! I'm sure many people would agree with me. Cat lovers would adore this book! It was a somewhat long read, but it wasn't too long that it would become uninteresting. People would really enjoy this book.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just can't get enough of the wonderful town of Cranbury, Connecticut and two of the most endearing families that happen to live there--the Moffats and the Pyes. This time the Pyes leave Cranbury for a summer vacation on Fire Island. It's perfect to read in the summer. My six year old son and I loved it!
Just_ann_now
Jul 29, 2013 Just_ann_now rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorite, 2013, 2016
LOLarious even after all these years! It was published in 1958, so I must have been in fifth or sixth grade when I read it the first time. I was an avid reader, even then, and in this reread the vocabulary seemed quite advanced. But then, I don't know what fifth or sixth graders are reading now. I hope there's still a place for books like this, that they haven't become dated or irrelevant.
Alicia Farmer
When the 9 year old to whom I was reading this (at his request) said, "Mom, I'm kind of tired of this. Nothing is happening." I kind of had to agree. He chose this after his teacher read Ginger Pye to the class and he loved it. This was harmless and, for an adult reader, had some cute characterizations of children. But the kid was right: nothing to keep you returning to the book.
Jennifer Johnson
Fun, fun, fun! A great "Old Fashioned" read aloud that brings a much needed relief from the cynical drama of most modern grade school novels. Good clean fun. And Estes is a GREAT vocabulary builder- she consistently incorporates a sophisticated yet never intimidating vocabulary that expands children's understanding as they infer meaning of new words in context.
Featherheart
Oct 20, 2008 Featherheart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What better story for someone called Featherpaw than the story of a kitten who can typewrite?! Her story is very sweet. But this is not only Pinky's story. It starts, in fact, with a puffin, marches past the New York Cat, Gracie, Ginger, the smartest dog in the world, Uncle Bennie, who is turning four, and leads up to what is In The Eaves, which Pinky reveals at the end.
Kristen Gurri
I loved this book and it was a joy to read REAL sentences out loud. Kate lost interest after a few chapters. This surprised me a lot. I'm going to try again in the summer and pass the book on to Colin.
  • Romeow and Drooliet
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • Thomasina
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Three Billy-goats Gruff: A Norwegian Folktale
  • Bandit (The Puppy Place, #24)
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • The Golden Name Day
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • Baby
  • Back to School with Betsy
  • Martin's Mice
  • I am Sharing (Toddler Books)
  • Pinkerton, Behave!
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...

The Pyes (2 books)
  • Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)