Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees

Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees (Raggedy Ann and Andy)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The toy camel helps Raggedy Ann and Andy find their friend, the missing doll, Babette, and vanquish some pirates in the process.
Published November 1st 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1923)

Be the first to ask a question about Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees

Ben
This book gave me the most delightful nightmares when I was a child and I love to revisit it from time to time. When I have children they will have a full library of Gruelle original editions and I will comfort them gladly from the terrors that were the 1920's.
Kim
This is a part of the "My First Raggedy Ann" series. I'm not familiar with the original stories, but these must be shortened. I feel like there is something missing from the story. The illustrations are fun.
R.L.
This is a favorite from childhood that I found on the internet but what makes it even better is that it is a pop-up chapter book.
Dottie
Right alongside Slappy the Duck is this one! My two precious favorites complete with memories of swinging on the front porch nestled in my great-aunt's lap and snugged in a blanket while the cool evening air thickened and the fireflies danced and the moon rose in the sky until eventually long after the story had ended, I was carried off to bed. So you see -- books truly are life -- read to your child, read to the child you are or were.
Marley
I have the 1924 version of this book that was my dad's. It was one of m yfavorite books as a kid, and I reread it recently. What a delight. Absurd, trippy, imaginative. Although I'd forgotten the plot, I remembered well the wonderful illustrations. The Loonies, the pirates and their jumping ship. The witch. Five stars and more!
Rakisha
It was cute and I loved the idea of two stuffed dolls going on an adventure. My mind could not get around the constant references to Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy by their full names. It was tongue twister in my mouth and in my head. I had to stop. The illustrations were gorgeous.
Annie
Feb 28, 2008 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who don't like to rip up pop-up books
I checked this out from the Library and read it to my kids, I loved it so much (they did too)! I want to buy it, I'll have to keep it safe till my kids are out of the "lets rip up and destroy all the really cool pop-up books in the house" phase.
Chris Gager
Probably not the right book but I wanted one with a real cover. We had one of these books when I was a kid. It was probably pretty old. The illustrations were kind of scary. Date is approximate.
Meltha
These books were so... I'm looking for the right word, but "trippy" is coming to mind. They were odd, and strange, and delightful simultaneously.
Lisbeth Solberg
Bought at a neighbor's yard sale when I was very small, this one is c. 1924 and features the abduction of the French doll. Many Oz-like bits.
Jaime Contreras
This is a delightful story that was incorpoarted into the animated classic. I loved this when I read it for myself and later for my kids.
cat
all i can remember about this book series is that i liked the way the old books smelled and there was a not-very-nice french doll in it...
Cicely
Even though this is a "book for kids", it's very funny! The illustrations are beautiful.
Kelly
Kelly added it
Aug 18, 2014
Jana Swift
Jana Swift marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jesie Hanna
Jesie Hanna marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jenni
Jenni added it
Jul 10, 2014
Joy Gerbode
Joy Gerbode marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Micah House
Micah House marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Johnny Gruelle was an American artist, political cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator (and even songwriter). He is known as the creator of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. He had such confidence in his design that often he would create the final ink work without first sketching in pencil.

More about Johnny Gruelle...
Raggedy Ann Stories Raggedy Andy Stories Raggedy Ann in Cookie Land (Classic) The Original Adventures of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy Raggedy Ann in the Deep Deep Woods: Classic Edition

“What is all the racket about? Did you put red pepper on the lollypops?” 2 likes