Start by marking “Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees” as Want to Read:
Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees

Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees (Raggedy Ann and Andy)

The toy camel helps Raggedy Ann and Andy find their friend, the missing doll, Babette, and vanquish some pirates in the process.
Published November 1st 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1923)

Be the first to ask a question about Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees

Ben
Sep 15, 2011 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me the most delightful nightmares when I was a child and I love to revisit it from time to time. When I have children they will have a full library of Gruelle original editions and I will comfort them gladly from the terrors that were the 1920's.
Pat
Dec 19, 2016 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-fare
The Raggedys set out to save poor Babette, the French doll, who, in the book's one scary episode, is stolen from home. The Camel and the Tired Old Horse are charming companions, and the cast of characters--a genuine fairy, Granny (a spider), Loonies, cross-dressing pirates, and others--is pretty choice.
Emily
Jan 11, 2017 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Morgan
My mother bought the Raggedy Ann and Andy book series for my younger sister as an enticement to read. I don't know if she ever did read them, since I kept them in my area of the room all the time. I loved my Raggedys and couldn't get enough of the gentle stories that Johnny Bruelle wrote. I wanted to believe that all my dolls and animals had a life of their own once the lights went out. These stories gave me hope.
Dottie
Right alongside Slappy the Duck is this one! My two precious favorites complete with memories of swinging on the front porch nestled in my great-aunt's lap and snugged in a blanket while the cool evening air thickened and the fireflies danced and the moon rose in the sky until eventually long after the story had ended, I was carried off to bed. So you see -- books truly are life -- read to your child, read to the child you are or were.
Alyssa
Raggedy Ann, Andy, and the Camel are off to find their friend, Babette. They were looking for it and stumbled upon more friends who were going to help them. Eventually, the ran into some pirates who captured Babette. This was a good lesson for kids to understand. Go looking for your friends, no matter what!
Marley
Oct 08, 2012 Marley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the 1924 version of this book that was my dad's. It was one of m yfavorite books as a kid, and I reread it recently. What a delight. Absurd, trippy, imaginative. Although I'd forgotten the plot, I remembered well the wonderful illustrations. The Loonies, the pirates and their jumping ship. The witch. Five stars and more!
Kim
Feb 05, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-kids
This is a part of the "My First Raggedy Ann" series. I'm not familiar with the original stories, but these must be shortened. I feel like there is something missing from the story. The illustrations are fun.
Annie
Feb 28, 2008 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who don't like to rip up pop-up books
I checked this out from the Library and read it to my kids, I loved it so much (they did too)! I want to buy it, I'll have to keep it safe till my kids are out of the "lets rip up and destroy all the really cool pop-up books in the house" phase.
Rakisha
Mar 29, 2012 Rakisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
It was cute and I loved the idea of two stuffed dolls going on an adventure. My mind could not get around the constant references to Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy by their full names. It was tongue twister in my mouth and in my head. I had to stop. The illustrations were gorgeous.
R.L.
Aug 04, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a favorite from childhood that I found on the internet but what makes it even better is that it is a pop-up chapter book.
Emily
Dec 20, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Raggedy Ann and Andy story is creative but I think the illustrations by Jan Palmer are not as good as the illustrations by Kathryn Mitter or Simon Galkin.
Lisbeth Solberg
Bought at a neighbor's yard sale when I was very small, this one is c. 1924 and features the abduction of the French doll. Many Oz-like bits.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 03, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a delightful story that was later made into the animated classic. I loved this when I read it for myself and later for my kids.
Meltha
Mar 24, 2016 Meltha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
These books were so... I'm looking for the right word, but "trippy" is coming to mind. They were odd, and strange, and delightful simultaneously.
cat
all i can remember about this book series is that i liked the way the old books smelled and there was a not-very-nice french doll in it...
Chris Gager
Feb 02, 2012 Chris Gager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably not the right book but I wanted one with a real cover. We had one of these books when I was a kid. It was probably pretty old. The illustrations were kind of scary. Date is approximate.
Danielle Boccio
Danielle Boccio rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 09, 2007
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Joi Malkin
Joi Malkin rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2009
Kirsten Bansen
Kirsten Bansen rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Natalie Harding
Natalie Harding rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
Delaney Michaels
Delaney Michaels rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2013
Kristal
Kristal rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2016
Elisa Clawson
Elisa Clawson rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2008
J.E. Bright
J.E. Bright rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2010
Mary sipp rigby
Mary sipp rigby rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2009
Dani Maupin
Dani Maupin rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • Tomie dePaola's Mother Goose
  • Small Pig
  • Winter's Tale: Winter's Tale
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Lola Loves Stories
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • I'm a Manatee
Johnny Gruelle was an American artist, political cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator (and even songwriter). He is known as the creator of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. He had such confidence in his design that often he would create the final ink work without first sketching in pencil.

More about Johnny Gruelle...

Raggedy Ann and Andy (1 - 10 of 141 books)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Raggedy Ann's Lucky Pennies
  • Raggedy Ann in Cookie Land (Classic)
  • Marcella: A Raggedy Ann Story
  • Raggedy Ann and Rags
  • The Original Adventures of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
  • Raggedy Ann's Secret
  • Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
  • Raggedy Ann and the Golden Ring
  • The Paper Dragon: A Raggedy Ann Adventure

“What is all the racket about? Did you put red pepper on the lollypops?” 2 likes