Start by marking “Love and Marriage” as Want to Read:
Love and Marriage

Love and Marriage

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  589 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Remember your first kiss? Your first crush? Your first date? Bill Cosby remembers his - and he's telling all! With the warmth and wit that made millions laugh at the foibles of Fatherhood and the madness of the way Time Flies, Cosby merrily tackles the "only subject that no one has ever been able to study for." From dating to mating, from scoring to snoring, from saying "I ...more
Published April 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Marriage

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingBorn Standing Up by Steve MartinYes Please by Amy PoehlerAmerica (The Book) by Jon Stewart
Written by Comedians
15th out of 117 books — 69 voters
Domination & Submission by Michael MakaiMama's Child by Joan Steinau LesterPieces of it All by Tracy KrimmerWhen It Comes to Relationships, You've Been an Idiot by Dr. MattHow to Find and Create Lasting Love by Dylan Thrasher
Dating, Relationships and Marriage
22nd out of 81 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

J Elsie
Dec 31, 2014 J Elsie rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, list-bio
The first half of the book on "Love" was very repetitive as I am sure is the case in real life. We think we're in love like we've never been, "this guys the one", when we are 14, then 15, then 16, and 17. In fact, when you're that young, you might fall in love with someone new every couple of weeks. Life and infatuations feel so looong when you're young. Anyway, after reading the first couple of chapters, I felt like I'd gotten the gist. I skipped to the last chapter of the section, the one wher ...more
Jen Mays
Feb 22, 2016 Jen Mays rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Review: In a series of short "stories", Cosby provides personal insight on his trip through the relationship warzone, from being a randy teenager to an earnest young man in love with someone so much classier than he.

The rating here is lower due in large part to my own expectations. I was disappointed that I didn't find this book to be laugh out loud funny, since seeing Cosby's stand-up routines over the years (both on tv and live) usually has me in pain and out of breath from laughing too hard.
Go
Aug 07, 2012 Go rated it liked it
Very relatable. I was surprised to read that Bill's wife struggles with him leaving his shoes around the house like my husband does. It drives me crazy too, especially finding his socks in every room. I am tempted to hide his shoes and clothes that he carelessly leaves lying around the house. Some couples make marriage look easy but you never know what goes on behind their doors. It is hard work to stay together when you know each other so well and the kids take so much of your energy. I love hi ...more
Mme.
Dec 18, 2013 Mme. rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Bill Cosby is the father, the comedian, the husband and the "Man"! He shows his clever wittiness, lyrical on love, courtship and my favorite, life's greatest institution--Marriage! Anyone who reads this book will be in touch with their inner side. Mr. Cosby shares some pretty intimate stories about his personal life when he married Camille. He's so funny! Especially when he talks about his lyrics of the corniest songs, which made him realize he was ready to climb the highest mountain for her and ...more
Nick Galieti
Aug 20, 2008 Nick Galieti rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for what it is. Bill Cosby is one of my favorite comedians if not my favorite single comedian. I enjoyed the honesty and the candid way that Bill Cosby approaches subject matters in general and this is no exception. While admittedly this is not some super deep book or clinical treatment of love and marriage, it does have some helpful advice along side the approachable and humorous stories. I almost wish I didn't have it on paper back because the book is falling apart now. One o ...more
Amelia Chameleon
Nov 06, 2014 Amelia Chameleon rated it it was ok
Another thrift store find... I have read some other Cosby books and was exciting to read this one, but it has a very different feel. I think this book would benefit a LOT from an audio version -- I think hearing Bill Cosby tell these stories would be great, but written out there's not a great cadence.

Overall, it's a pretty "standard" look at relationships -- boys are like this, girls are like this. Then you get married and husbands are the poor schlubs and the wives are martyrs. Just not very in
Ashley
Apr 19, 2010 Ashley rated it liked it
I read this book a long time ago, when I was definitley too young for it. I don't know that I really understood a lot of what he was talking about (I think I was like, 10 or so when I read this) but I was really bored, had nothing else to read in the house and wasn't able to get to the library. I had recently discovered The Cosby Show and loved it, so I decided to read this book of my dad's. I was kind of bored, but I do remember liking it as much as a young kid can like a book like this...
Joseph
Oct 21, 2014 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should really get 2 ratings. The first part of him growing up and his love section wasn't really funny at all. I am not sure if it wasn't supposed to be funny or not, but I just thought it was going to be. He really just talked about growing up and how and what girls meant to him and how he always thought the new one was always the "one."

The second part with him being married and the stories with his wife where funny and good. The banter between the two were great.
Jacob O'connor
Mar 08, 2014 Jacob O'connor rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one as well as Fatherhood. It was better near the beginning when Bill Cosby was quipping about his early forays into love. Funny revelation: Cosby was almost a school teacher. All our favorite famous people had fallback options. Cosby as a teacher. Harrison Ford as a carpenter. Kanye West as God. ...more
Ryan
Jun 09, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok
A sloppy, disjointed account of Cosby's journey to find love and happiness with his wife Camilla.

While I am normally a huge Cosby fan, his tendency to focus on teenage dance parties and to mix those with hard-to-follow jokes about the differences between the sexes made the laughs few and far between.
Stacy Fetters
Nov 28, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Cosby is the man and will always be the man!
He has a pure heart and will always love Jello Pudding pops
Well ya see!
A hilarious tale of looking for "J-o-n-e-s" in all the wrong places, dating and marriage.
Joelle Gibson
Mar 03, 2014 Joelle Gibson rated it it was ok
I didn't even bother finishing. I tried to enjoy it I really did, but I just couldn't get into it.
Kaethe
Feb 02, 2015 Kaethe rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
I grew up on Cosby's Fat Albert, so he's kind of a feature in my mental landscape.
Devery
Dec 16, 2013 Devery rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Randomly picked this jem off the bookshelves of the library. Simply hilarious.
Mark
Jul 06, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of his better collections.
Winter Sophia Rose
Sep 21, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Fun & Entertaining!
Bitsy
Apr 01, 2010 Bitsy rated it really liked it
A lot of people were disappointed in Love and Marriage because, unlike his book Fatherhood there was humor but no wit, no advice on what to do to survive the uncertain waters of love or marriage. Because Bill Cosby, like the rest of us, is just as clueless about what makes love and marriage work. He has a general idea, as do we all, but a lot of it remains a mystery as he himself admits. I didn’t read Fatherhood but I also didn’t feel like I could hold him not being in a position to dole out adv ...more
Dolly
Jan 01, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bill Cosby fans
This was a nice book that offered a little bit of an autobiography for Dr. Cosby, at least from the perspective of love. The early chapters, about growing up and discovering love and sexual feelings are funny and written from the heart. But I laughed out loud during the second half of the book when he talks about marriage and love in marriage. These were truly the insights I could appreciate, especially since he combined his thoughts with comments from his wife. Very funny!
Christina
I'm glad to have read this, and will keep it on hand for the little important nuggets throughout, but at the same time, it feels that reading it once was for now, enough. True to form, Mr. Cosby manages to weave his points with personal stories and anecdotes that had me laughing several times out loud.

This is a quick read, and I'd call it persevering enough that couples should peruse it at least once in their lives.
Sowmya
Aug 10, 2011 Sowmya rated it liked it
The initial part where he talks about 'love' is pretty boring. The book is more a collection of anecdotes from his marriage than a commentary on marriage itself. The anecdotes are extremely funny and quick wit that is traditional with Cosby is there. But the book doesn't deliver what he promises. I liked his "Time Flies" better.
Luisa
May 23, 2011 Luisa rated it liked it
Hilarious... although quite a bit racy. I didn't know that Bill had such the twisted sense of humor. He was a riot though. I can't recommend it to anyone, because he really did have no filters, but it is really cute. I thought it was going to be like a self-help book, with marital advice, but it wasn't really down that venue.
Arthur Nicewander
Mar 15, 2014 Arthur Nicewander rated it really liked it
Okay
Ashley
Mar 24, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
Billy Cosby delivered his sense of humor. I laughed during the entire book and had enjoyed the light reading. This book is written in late 80's, but the lessons still resonates even to today. It's a light, funny reading, but not the best book I've ever read.
Elizabeth Joseph
Jul 18, 2012 Elizabeth Joseph rated it liked it
It was fun reading this book about love and marriage, but I felt that Bill Cosby just touched rather grazed the surface of the subject. I would have loved to read some more deeper written with lots of comedy :)
Brenda
Feb 07, 2008 Brenda rated it it was ok
This book did not meet my expectations. It was only mildly entertaining. Still, it was entertaining enought that it was not a waste of time. If you start the book with low expectations, you will probably love it.
Sacha Head
Dec 20, 2011 Sacha Head rated it liked it
It's not exactly like watching one of his comedy shows. Some of this stuff he talked about here was a little TMI. It was still funny, though I liked the marriage section much better than the first half.
Heather
Oct 15, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I wasn't aware how much I loved Bill Cosby until I read this book. Its smart and funny and just tries to make sense of everyday things you don't think twice about. Easy read.
Jo
Jun 06, 2010 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Cosby and the Cosby show. I find his humor real yet respectful. The book was good. I didn't like it as much as watching him, his antics are priceless.
Mlerro
Jan 25, 2011 Mlerro rated it liked it
Funny, more often than not on target. I like Bill and his ability to deal with life through his humor. I think it helps us step back and laugh at ourselves.
Doris
Aug 29, 2007 Doris rated it liked it
FUNNY!
My friend gave me this book as an engagement gift.
Very enjoyable. I recommend it to everyone who is a fan of Bill Cosby and his type of humor.
  • Babyhood
  • I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability
  • Mama Made the Difference
  • I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story
  • Her Stories: African American Folktales, Fairy Tales, and True Tales
  • Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati
More about Bill Cosby...

“Suddenly, this romantic agony was enriched by a less romantic one: I had to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I couldn't let her know about this urge, for great lovers never did such things. The answer to "Romeo Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?" was not "In the men's room, Julie.” 25 likes