Start by marking “The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)

The Big Book of Weirdos (Paradox Press series of Big Book)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
SC, TPB, NM, New, Written by Carl Posey. Introduction by cartoonist, novelist, and self-confessed weirdo Gahan Wilson. Published in January of 1995, Softcover, 8 1/2-in. x 11-in. 224 pages, B&W. Cover price $12.95.
Published April 1st 1995 by Dc Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Weirdos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Weirdos

1984 by George OrwellThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerAnimal Farm by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Cult Classics
319th out of 628 books — 868 voters

More lists with this book...

Aaron Hollingsworth
Aug 11, 2014 Aaron Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic introduction to several great historical minds. Told in graphic novel style, this book shows us the quirks and eccentricities of Ambrose Bierce, Nikola Tesla, and Hetty Green, just to name a few. Highly entertaining and deftly illustrated, The Big Book of Weirdos is a treasure trove of odd facts about odd people.
I_nurhadi
Feb 26, 2016 I_nurhadi rated it liked it
Buku yang menarik.
Di antara tokoh-tokoh 'eksentrik' yang ditampilkan, yang paling berkesan bagi saya adalah bagian Franz Mesmer. Franz Mesmer adalah seorang dokter mujarab yang bisa menyembuhkan pasien2nya hanya dengan sentuhan tongkat sihir -nya. Dia menjelaskan bahwa metode yang ia pakai adalah 'animal magnetism' (i didn't get it either).

Sayangnya ada raja Louis XVI meragukan keabsahan metode Mesmer dan memanggil ilmuwan2 (termasuk Ben Franklin dr Amerika) untuk menguji metode Mesmer. Alhasil
Rachelle
Feb 02, 2014 Rachelle rated it really liked it
The biographies in this book are interesting, but even more interesting for me was the variety of ways different artists used the 9-panel grid and black and white artwork to produce such rich and unique results. Particularly noteworthy for me was Craig Hamilton's retro-inspired artwork in the Isadora Duncan piece. Now, where's my scarf?
Rob
Aug 23, 2007 Rob rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: wannane weirdos, psycho posers
Shelves: own
You get pretty much exactly what the title promises... An illustrated compendium of short biopics for some of history's greatest weirds, crackpots, and fringe visionaries. It runs the gamut from infamous imperial menaces (e.g., Ivan the Terrible, Ludwig the Mad) to relatively harmless common crackpots (e.g., Joshua Norton (Emperor of these United States)). There is some great artwork and some potent writing to accompany. Well done overall.
Jason
Jan 22, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: factoid
Another big book that proved to be an interesting read. I thought that the book would mostly contain weird individuals who were mostly unknown except for their weirdness. But I was surprised to see a lot of extra ordinary individuals who made big contributions to society who had their share of hidden weirdness. Greatness often demands that you deviate from normal thoughts and actions, I guess. Loved this big book as well.
Matimate
Oct 16, 2011 Matimate rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, graphic_novels
Short biographies of famous and very strange people were packed with some nutty art style. The famous and crazy with the not so happy ending was the best choice for the authors. Weirder...better from roman time to the modern age psychos. Rulers, actors and many more got their place in this book.I think be famous because you are nuts is not the greatest achievement, but still being famous is right...ehm never mind.
Jeb
Feb 28, 2008 Jeb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, comics
One of my favorites of the Factoid Books series, The Big Book Of Weirdos introduces us to the strangest folks in history, literature, art, religion and commerce, all told with concise comics illustrated by numerous artists. Absurd, disturbing, and often hilarious, it's a hard book to put down and educational to boot.

Nikola Tesla had a fear of women with pearl earrings? What's the deal with that?
Courtney
Feb 01, 2011 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The title was the first thing that got my attention. I loved this book and thought it was amazingly creative, and a brilliant way to learn about histories "weirdos". The whole book is in a comic book format which makes it even more enjoyable. And some of the things, or people that ended up in this book may surprise you. If you want a fascinating, and enjoyable quick read I would recommend this.
Honeybadger
Jun 27, 2016 Honeybadger rated it it was amazing
As the guy most often called "the weirdest guy I know" by friends and family, I was pretty drawn to this book. History is full of great eccentrics, people who walked to the beat of their own drummer. They were sometimes harmful and dangerous, but (exempting Hitler, obviously) I think we're better off with the crazies to liven up history.
Kelly Wagner
Mar 18, 2013 Kelly Wagner rated it really liked it
Graphic stories, from a few years earlier than when graphic novels really hit their heyday. Weirdos from Caligula to J. Edgar Hoover. Artists from Ed Hillyer to Rick Geary (whose Victorian Murderesses series I love).
Carrie
Apr 23, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Bought this in college and have probably lost my copy. The little bios were short and each were illustrated by a different artist, making it really new and exciting at every page.
Ryan Dilbert
May 25, 2007 Ryan Dilbert rated it really liked it
This book is fun, and a lot of the art is great. Also I didn't object to having a graphic novel teach me a little something.
T. Smith
Jul 29, 2011 T. Smith added it
Shelves: graphic
"Big Book of..." is great illustrated series on a wide variety of topics with lots of top-notch artists and authors.
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 Pascale rated it liked it
Oh, the supreme delight of finding this book at some friends’ cabin! Strange tales told in graphic novel format.
Matt Mazenauer
Jun 29, 2007 Matt Mazenauer rated it really liked it
Weirdos is a particularly vague topic, but that doesn't mean this isn't a great launching pad into bizarre people.
Christina
May 09, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Really Really original and very well written! Funny & interesting real stories throughout history.
Bo Blaze
Jul 29, 2009 Bo Blaze rated it really liked it
what's not to like. The life of various weirdos in comic book form!
Zeke
Zeke rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Roundwater
Roundwater marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Joanne Purdy
Joanne Purdy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Lowell Bartholomee
Lowell Bartholomee rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Tim Kubista
Tim Kubista rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Ami
Ami rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
Joe Cloyd
Joe Cloyd marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Elizabeth /Karra
Elizabeth /Karra marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
T Icon
T Icon rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Grimm (Factoid Books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • The Big Book of Martyrs
  • Cinema Sewer, Vol. 1
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • The Museum of Hoaxes
  • Savage Dragon, Vol. 1: Baptism of Fire
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • The Science of the X-Men
  • Bat-Manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan

Paradox Press series of Big Book (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Freaks
  • The Big Book of Little Criminals
  • The Big Book of Thugs: Tough as Nails True Tales of the World's Baddest Mobs, Gangs, and Ne'er do Wells! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Losers