Start by marking “The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)

The Big Book of Weirdos (Paradox Press series of Big Book)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  16 reviews
SC, TPB, NM, New, Written by Carl Posey. Introduction by cartoonist, novelist, and self-confessed weirdo Gahan Wilson. Published in January of 1995, Softcover, 8 1/2-in. x 11-in. 224 pages, B&W. Cover price $12.95.
Published April 1st 1995 by Dc Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Weirdos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Weirdos

1984 by George OrwellThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerAnimal Farm by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Cult Classics
265th out of 566 books — 700 voters

More lists with this book...

Aaron Hollingsworth
This is a fantastic introduction to several great historical minds. Told in graphic novel style, this book shows us the quirks and eccentricities of Ambrose Bierce, Nikola Tesla, and Hetty Green, just to name a few. Highly entertaining and deftly illustrated, The Big Book of Weirdos is a treasure trove of odd facts about odd people.
Rachelle
The biographies in this book are interesting, but even more interesting for me was the variety of ways different artists used the 9-panel grid and black and white artwork to produce such rich and unique results. Particularly noteworthy for me was Craig Hamilton's retro-inspired artwork in the Isadora Duncan piece. Now, where's my scarf?
Rob
Aug 23, 2007 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wannane weirdos, psycho posers
Shelves: own
You get pretty much exactly what the title promises... An illustrated compendium of short biopics for some of history's greatest weirds, crackpots, and fringe visionaries. It runs the gamut from infamous imperial menaces (e.g., Ivan the Terrible, Ludwig the Mad) to relatively harmless common crackpots (e.g., Joshua Norton (Emperor of these United States)). There is some great artwork and some potent writing to accompany. Well done overall.
Jason
Another big book that proved to be an interesting read. I thought that the book would mostly contain weird individuals who were mostly unknown except for their weirdness. But I was surprised to see a lot of extra ordinary individuals who made big contributions to society who had their share of hidden weirdness. Greatness often demands that you deviate from normal thoughts and actions, I guess. Loved this big book as well.
Matimate
Short biographies of famous and very strange people were packed with some nutty art style. The famous and crazy with the not so happy ending was the best choice for the authors. Weirder...better from roman time to the modern age psychos. Rulers, actors and many more got their place in this book.I think be famous because you are nuts is not the greatest achievement, but still being famous is right...ehm never mind.
Jeb
One of my favorites of the Factoid Books series, The Big Book Of Weirdos introduces us to the strangest folks in history, literature, art, religion and commerce, all told with concise comics illustrated by numerous artists. Absurd, disturbing, and often hilarious, it's a hard book to put down and educational to boot.

Nikola Tesla had a fear of women with pearl earrings? What's the deal with that?
Courtney
The title was the first thing that got my attention. I loved this book and thought it was amazingly creative, and a brilliant way to learn about histories "weirdos". The whole book is in a comic book format which makes it even more enjoyable. And some of the things, or people that ended up in this book may surprise you. If you want a fascinating, and enjoyable quick read I would recommend this.
Honeybadger
As the guy most often called "the weirdest guy I know" by friends and family, I was pretty drawn to this book. History is full of great eccentrics, people who walked to the beat of their own drummer. They were sometimes harmful and dangerous, but (exempting Hitler, obviously) I think we're better off with the crazies to liven up history.
Kelly Wagner
Graphic stories, from a few years earlier than when graphic novels really hit their heyday. Weirdos from Caligula to J. Edgar Hoover. Artists from Ed Hillyer to Rick Geary (whose Victorian Murderesses series I love).
Carrie
Bought this in college and have probably lost my copy. The little bios were short and each were illustrated by a different artist, making it really new and exciting at every page.
Ryan Dilbert
This book is fun, and a lot of the art is great. Also I didn't object to having a graphic novel teach me a little something.
T. Smith
Jul 29, 2011 T. Smith added it
Shelves: graphic
"Big Book of..." is great illustrated series on a wide variety of topics with lots of top-notch artists and authors.
Pascale
Oh, the supreme delight of finding this book at some friends’ cabin! Strange tales told in graphic novel format.
Matt Mazenauer
Weirdos is a particularly vague topic, but that doesn't mean this isn't a great launching pad into bizarre people.
Christina
Really Really original and very well written! Funny & interesting real stories throughout history.
Bo Blaze
what's not to like. The life of various weirdos in comic book form!
Ellipticalsaw
Ellipticalsaw marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Sae Kaetsu
Sae Kaetsu marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Grecia Calderón
Grecia Calderón marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Annacomix
Annacomix marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Grimm (Factoid Books)
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • The Museum of Hoaxes
  • A Right to Be Hostile: The Boondocks Treasury
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • Cinema Sewer, Vol. 1
  • The Science of the X-Men
  • The Dylan Dog Case Files
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Bat-Manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan
  • The Marvel Encyclopedia
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)

Paradox Press series of Big Book (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Freaks
  • The Big Book of Little Criminals
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Thugs: Tough as Nails True Tales of the World's Baddest Mobs, Gangs, and Ne'er do Wells! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Losers
  • The Big Book of the Unexplained
  • The Big Book of Martyrs
Red Danube Kiev Footprint Bushmaster Fall Benchley's Chip Bushmaster fall.