Start by marking “The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory” as Want to Read:
The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory

The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory (Ivory #1-3)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The three acclaimed novels from the Ivory trilogy - The Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, and Guilt-Edged Ivory - chronicle the fantastical adventures of Theodora, an anthropology student whose travels to the planet Ivory unleash her own magical talents, in an omnibus edition.
Published September 1st 2001 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Ivory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Ivory

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Highbrow Fantasy Books
94th out of 296 books — 432 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
279th out of 903 books — 472 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
I generally have trouble coming up with "favorites," even within narrow genres. If I had to choose though, The Ivory is my favorite (set of) fantasy book(s). Easily. The blending of the Science Fiction and Fantasy elements is elegant. The protagonist, Theodora, comes from a culture similar enough to our own to allow us to access the fantasy world on Ivory as though we are transported there ourselves, but she also comes from a culture somewhat removed from ours, giving her a compelling biography ...more
Annmarie
This was a reread for me, after finally remembering enough plot details to sleuth it out in the library's Novelist database. It's a blend of futuristic planetary sci fi, fantasy, and mystery, with romantic elements. It's about a young folklorist student who gets stranded on another planet, Ivory, while on vacation from university. She does tarot card readings in the bustling marketplace to make ends meet & gets hired by a young man who is Ivory's version of a minor lord. He is a magician who ...more
Birgit
Being a mixture of fantasy and science fiction, Doris Egan's book is mostly a great piece of story-telling. Her characters, their interaction and adventures, bring the book to life and literally suck you into the world which the author created.
Just like all the characters in the book are three dimensional and never bland, the world itself is a wonderful example of the interplay between different cultures - Ivorian and "barbarian" - and it's engrossing to see how the characters develop with each
Hmr28
Oct 05, 2014 Hmr28 marked it as to-read
Is this series ever going to be out in e-book format?
Victoria Gaile
I've had this book on my shelf for years. I generally pass right over it when deciding what to read because I can't remember a thing about it. But every once in a while when I'm looking for a good thick book to reread, I pull it down and remember, oh yes, it's that one. And it rereads pretty well.

It has a science fiction feel to it even though the use of magic, or sorcery, is absolutely central to the book. This is because the viewpoint character, Theodora, is not native to Ivory, the only plane
Michelle
Sep 01, 2012 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michelle by: Jo Walton (tor.com)
somewhere between 3 and 4 stars: each of these books are fun and very well-written, but with overly-leisurely pacing. they're probably better if you don't sit down and chew through all 3 of them in a go, give them a little time to breathe in between stories.

a review by Jo Walton on tor.com got me interested in these:

and I agree with most of what she has to say about them. the dialogue is indeed snappy & clever (delightfully so, and nowhere near obnoxi
Darla Stokes
This is an omnibus of the Ivory trilogy of science fiction/fantasy novels.

***** The Gate of Ivory.
This first book introduces Theodora of Pyrene. An Athenian scholar, with no family (as is the norm on Pyrene and Athena), used to science and logic, she's stranded on Ivory, where families are all-important, and magic is real. She's working as a fortune teller to earn enough for transport back to Athena, when she gets a job offer from soceror Ran Cormallon, head of the influential Cormallon family
Anna
Doris Egan is an author that I stumbled across, completely by accident, and I'm thrilled that I did.
I was in Dark Delicacies years ago, and was intrigued by the back cover of "The Gate of Ivory". The book was only a few dollars in paperback, so I took a chance.
This is a book that, while an easy read, reads smart, if that makes any sense. The heroine is smart, sarcastic and likeable - I read enough so that I really appreciate these characters when I find them, I grin.
So go find her books - you
Walter Underwood
Theodora is a great character and the plots are pretty twisted. A fun ride. There are a few character continuity problems, like when Theo practices kata with a staff for months in the first book, then never does it in the other books and even starts as a beginner in hand-to-hand training. But those are only noticeable because the rest of the story flows so well.

I wish there were more of these, but the author is a busy TV writer now.

If you are bothered by the unresolved questions at the end of th
Corvidae
I picked up the first of this trilogy at a used bookstore and really enjoyed it. Later I found this omnibus edition with two more books in the series and picked it up. The three books are very different in their feel. One's sort of adventure, one's sort of mystery.... But I really like the characters.

I think she could have done a little bit more with the world she created; the way it was sketched out on the back cover gave me a lot more rich ideas and feelings than the way it was developed. But
Jenn
This is one of those trilogies I wish I'd read as a teen, although with a 1989 pub date for the first that one would have barely squeaked in. I like the worldbuilding fine but what really stood out were the characters in the first two books especially: Theo, a strong and smart female protagonist, a not bad love- interest, and a complex antagonist. The moral choices in the first book especially were gripping at times. The last book suffered a bit plot-wise but I was cheered by the lack of err, Di ...more
rachelish Slater
I have just finished the second of the three books in this book - 'Two-Bit Heroes' (#2) was a bit of a slog to get through, frankly, but 'The Gate of Ivory' (#1) was excellent, so I am still keen to continue. The narrator, Theodora, is very sympathetic, and honestly the only reason I didn't give up on #2 was because it is nice to spend time in her company.

Now finished 'Guilt Edged Ivory' (#3), which falls somewhere between #1 & #2. Not as fast-paced as I'd have liked, a tad too much introsp
Leah
I recently reread these books, which I remembered loving years ago. I loved them again, though it's hard to say exactly what is so great about them. There's no single outstanding factor -- it's the combination of intriguing characters, good writing, fascinating world-building, and a plot that never seems to lag. The second book (Two-Bit Heroes) started out a bit slow, but it's well worth getting past that. Highly recommended.
Ikarus
Nette Mischung zwischen Fantasy- und Abenteuerromanen auf einem fremden Planeten, auf dem Zauberei existiert.
3 Romane in einem Band, der erste ist der Beste, da hier auch die Zauberei im Vordergrund steht, später nimmt dies leider stark ab. Aber immer noch gute Abenteuerromane.
Die Welt Ivory ist sehr lebensecht: Armut und akzeptierten Mord, sehr weit verbreitete Drogensucht.
Emily
What a weird book. Theodora, the main character, becomes like an old friend, and creeps into your consciousness. The romance in the book is very understated - no sweeping declarations, no fiery burn, but by the same token you understand affection by what is not said. The book happens to some extent, in the spaces between the words.
Michelle
Aug 30, 2009 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michelle by: Rachel Anderson
Very different from the usual fantasy books that I read (more of a sci-fi/fantasy combination, really). Really good trilogy. The first book is the best and it really drops from there, but still maintains a high quality for the whole read.
Rebecca
One of my favorites. Have retread until the binding is falling apart and chapters are held in by packing tape. Would love an ebook, but alas, not available!
Rosemary
It's so nice that an Omnibus is out of this fun trilogy. I have the original 3 novels and always wished that Egan would have returned to Ivory.
T
Jul 13, 2014 T rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: gave-up
I started this and it was all right but it didn't grab me, so I took it back to the library. Might try again another time.
Nancy
Apr 19, 2013 Nancy marked it as to-read
five best-ever-female-authors-you’ve-never-heard-of by Rachel Neumeier
Fatbaldguy60
The first two books were good. The third was the best of the set.
Meg
Lovely comfort books for me, with a wonderfully dorky heroine.
Sylvitha Chandra
Sylvitha Chandra marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Trucidar
Trucidar marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Ari Pettit
Ari Pettit marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • The Language of Power (The Steerswoman, #4)
  • Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe, #8-10)
  • The Nothing Girl
  • Stealing Magic
  • Vanishing Point
  • Undertow
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • Felaheen
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Water Witch
  • The Seeker (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1-2)
  • The Mirador (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #3)
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)
  • The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1)
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • Windmaster's Bane (David Sullivan, #1)
Doris Egan (1955—) is an American screenwriter, producer, and writer. She has worked on Smallville, Dark Angel, and House as well as many other television programs.

Also publishes as Jane Emerson.
More about Doris Egan...
The Gate Of Ivory (Ivory #1) Two-Bit Heroes (Ivory, #2) Guilt-Edged Ivory (Ivory, #3) The Complete Ivory (Daw Book Collectors) The 1987 Annual World's Best SF