The Big Book of Urban Legends

The Big Book of Urban Legends

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  18 reviews
/Robert F. Boyd, Jr. This collection of strange and bizarre anecdotal tales drawn (ostensibly) from real life contains 200 stories that have circulated across metropolitan areas--all invariably sworn to be true. "The Poodle in the Microwave", "The Mouse in the Coke Bottle", and "The Accidental Cannibals" are just a few of the legends presented in this volume. Illustrated b...more
Published 1995 by DC Comics

Brenda
I love this series and own them all. This book has some of the traditional urban tales that everyone knows, and then there are many that I haven't heard. As I was reading, I wondered where he collected the tales from, because I was annoyed to find some were scenes straight out of the movies like OLD VS YOUNG which was a scene in FRIED GREEN TOMATOES circa 1991, three years before this book. Was it an urban legend before the movie? Not that I'm aware of. My only other complaint is that many of th...more
Bradley
Fun, quick, fun graphic novel for all the sickos out there. I dare you to think up another Urban Legend that's not in this book. It's that comprehensive. Great art by plethora of graphic artists. And fun, entertaining writing (basically one page equals one urban legend) made this a very fun book to read. I could see this book being made into quick 15 minute shorts. You'd have enough quality stories to last at least two seasons on television. I was so moved by this book that I'm also going to che...more
Trin
A variety of artists provide graphic interpretations of famous urban legends as collected by Brunvand, whose books, starting with The Vanishing Hitchhiker, I find entirely too addicting. Depending on the artist, these versions are also fun, but I miss Brunvand's analysis and the variations of the stories—their evolution—that he provides. I'd recommend the more in-depth writings instead.
Helen
These are good, but a little disappointing after you've already read Jan Brunvand's other books and are hoping to see something really new or different on Urban Legends. The books, Vnaishing Hitchhiker, Choking Doberman, etc., are better if you're really interested on the subject, because they inform on the history of some of these legends, and have been researched and for the most part debunked. Still, this is a fun way to waste an afternoon.
Melissa
This would be a great choice for the reluctant reader (which is how it earned the second star), but it was really terrible for me. I used to LOVE urban legends, and I had read several of the books by this author when I was younger. However, most of the writing within the comics was really awful. The only vignette I really enjoyed was the first one, which framed the urban legend with a Freudian commentary. That cracked me up.
Jenn
What is there NOT to say about this book?! It was a great read. Ya, ya some of the same old stories were in there, but where would we be if it didn't always go back to the hook on the door handle and the call from inside the same house! There were some so funny and lame that I just had to chuckle and some I was like... hmmmm interesting! But a good read, especially getting close to that time of year for scares and screams.
Matimate
I am fond of comic books among other genres. One page per notoriusly well known urban legend was just right. Artwork was not pretty but it was fitting to the stories which ranges between horror and comedy. Life is bitch and the human mind made it clear in those modern legend. No matter what each era has its own legends, which shows fears and longings of the generarion.
Mike Da Silva
Everyone knows someone who has a friend's neighbor's cousin's co-worker's son's teacher's friend who had this happen to them. Great stories, some I knew, some I kinda heard of, some were new to me, but it's a great read to keep in the john.
Andy
And here are all those Urban Legends you've heard about all your life, conveniently packed into one volume in comic book form, complete with lavish artwork by a host of comic book artists from the various substrata of the field.
T. Smith
"Big Book of..." is great illustrated series on a wide variety of topics with lots of top-notch artists and authors. Jan Brunvand has written several books on urban legends, so it's no surprise he'd be involved in this volume.
Shana Dennis
Loved the variety of artists in this book! There are also a good number urban legends I hadn't heard before, which is impressive given my interest in them. I also want to check out the other entries in the Big Book of... series.
Jamie Brooks
This book was set up like a graphic novel making it a really easy read. I blew through it. I had only heard of about 25% of the urban legends mentioned in here so it was cool to learn about others.
Karl
Not as interesting as the others, I think just because Urban Legends are pretty well known and fairly simplistic.
Hoss
It didn't happen to your best friend's uncle's daughter's babysitter's plumber. Really, it didn't.
Matt Piechocinski
I never realized how very O Henrian many Urban Legends were.
Regina Hunter
I know where half of supernatural ideas come from!
Carrie
I wish I still owned this book. So much fun!
Scrabbles
Scrabbles marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Elias Hämäläinen
Elias Hämäläinen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
  • The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • Encyclopedia of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Grimm (Factoid Books)
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme
  • Book of the bizarre
  • The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • The Portable Obituary: How the Famous, Rich, and Powerful Really Died
  • The Tick: The Naked City
  • 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style
Lobo's Greatest Hits Alf: Mission To Mars Justice League of America (Super Powers Which Way Book) ALF in Old Predictable (Alf Storybooks, Series II) Rescuing a Neighborhood: The Bedford-Stuyvesant Volunteer Ambulance Corps