Start by marking “The Big Book of Urban Legends” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Urban Legends

The Big Book of Urban Legends (Paradox Press series of Big Book)

/Robert F. Boyd, Jr. This collection of strange and bizarre anecdotal tales drawn (ostensibly) from real life contains 200 stories that have circulated across metropolitan areas--all invariably sworn to be true. "The Poodle in the Microwave", "The Mouse in the Coke Bottle", and "The Accidental Cannibals" are just a few of the legends presented in this volume. Illustrated b ...more
Published 1995 by DC Comics

Rebecca McNutt
This book is like a Bible of classic urban legends. Here in Canada there are different variations of these ones in one form or another, but The Big Book of Urban Legends is the first I've come across that actually keeps the original stories straight and true to the history and eras that influenced them.
description
Melki
Nov 19, 2016 Melki rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, folklore
Urban legends are true stories that are too good to be true, and they are always said to have happened to a Friend of a Friend.*

They're all here! The Convertible Filled with Cement, The Vanishing Hitchhiker, Kentucky-Fried Rat, The Killer in the Back Seat, Spiders in the Beehive, and The Call is Coming from INSIDE the House! - every urban legend I'd ever heard, and plenty I hadn't. What makes this book unique is that the 200 "true" tales of horror, humor, and revenge are told in a graphic format
Brenda
I love this series and own them all. This book has some of the traditional urban tales that everyone knows, and then there are many that I haven't heard. As I was reading, I wondered where he collected the tales from, because I was annoyed to find some were scenes straight out of the movies like OLD VS YOUNG which was a scene in FRIED GREEN TOMATOES circa 1991, three years before this book. Was it an urban legend before the movie? Not that I'm aware of. My only other complaint is that many of th ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
What is there NOT to say about this book?! It was a great read. Ya, ya some of the same old stories were in there, but where would we be if it didn't always go back to the hook on the door handle and the call from inside the same house! There were some so funny and lame that I just had to chuckle and some I was like... hmmmm interesting! But a good read, especially getting close to that time of year for scares and screams.
Chloe A-L
May 04, 2017 Chloe A-L rated it liked it
Shelves: want-to-buy, art-insp
this is another book I read over and over (and over and over and over... you get the gist) as a kid. I'm pretty sure I never actually checked it out if the library, but I have probably read this book on every square inch of the children's floor. I was pleasantly surprised by how not terrible it was! most of the stories were overly abrupt bcs of the page limitations, and because they were urban legends some were racist or otherwise ethically sucky, but I enjoyed rereading this!
Daniel A.
The Big Book of Urban Legends was the first "Big Book" in DC Comics' now-defunct imprint dealing with non-superhero, non-fantasy—basically non-conventional—comics; as far as débuts go, The Big Book of Urban Legends does a rather good job of setting the standard for what would come, even if it had a few snags, that the editors eventually worked out.

Adapted from the folklore studies of Prof. Jan Harold Brunvand by Robert Loren Fleming and Robert Boyd, Jr.—and, indeed, a much closer adaptation of t
tony dillard jr
Sep 23, 2016 tony dillard jr rated it really liked it
Urban legends. We've all heard of these stories. Whether we've told these stories around a glowing campfire or heard that these really happened (to a friend of a friend), our culture is filled with these stories. Some tales have were born from a bit of truth. Others are steeped in our fears or prejudices. But no matter where these urban legends came from, they've become a little bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.
I found the Big Book of Urban Legends in a bargain bin in one of my favorite local
Bradley
May 07, 2012 Bradley rated it really liked it
Fun, quick, fun graphic novel for all the sickos out there. I dare you to think up another Urban Legend that's not in this book. It's that comprehensive. Great art by plethora of graphic artists. And fun, entertaining writing (basically one page equals one urban legend) made this a very fun book to read. I could see this book being made into quick 15 minute shorts. You'd have enough quality stories to last at least two seasons on television. I was so moved by this book that I'm also going to che ...more
Trin
Jun 06, 2009 Trin rated it liked it
A variety of artists provide graphic interpretations of famous urban legends as collected by Brunvand, whose books, starting with The Vanishing Hitchhiker, I find entirely too addicting. Depending on the artist, these versions are also fun, but I miss Brunvand's analysis and the variations of the stories—their evolution—that he provides. I'd recommend the more in-depth writings instead.
Helen
Jul 03, 2009 Helen rated it it was ok
These are good, but a little disappointing after you've already read Jan Brunvand's other books and are hoping to see something really new or different on Urban Legends. The books, Vnaishing Hitchhiker, Choking Doberman, etc., are better if you're really interested on the subject, because they inform on the history of some of these legends, and have been researched and for the most part debunked. Still, this is a fun way to waste an afternoon.
Melissa
This would be a great choice for the reluctant reader (which is how it earned the second star), but it was really terrible for me. I used to LOVE urban legends, and I had read several of the books by this author when I was younger. However, most of the writing within the comics was really awful. The only vignette I really enjoyed was the first one, which framed the urban legend with a Freudian commentary. That cracked me up.
Jonathon Jones
Jan 17, 2015 Jonathon Jones rated it liked it
This book is decent as far as it goes, but the problem is that they try to cram too many legends into the book, the result of which is that a lot of the stories are much shorter than they should be. It makes most of the stories much less interesting than they normally are. But it was entertaining nonetheless.
Matimate
Sep 26, 2011 Matimate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, graphic_novels
I am fond of comic books among other genres. One page per notoriusly well known urban legend was just right. Artwork was not pretty but it was fitting to the stories which ranges between horror and comedy. Life is bitch and the human mind made it clear in those modern legend. No matter what each era has its own legends, which shows fears and longings of the generarion.
Shana Dennis
Jun 27, 2012 Shana Dennis rated it it was amazing
Loved the variety of artists in this book! There are also a good number urban legends I hadn't heard before, which is impressive given my interest in them. I also want to check out the other entries in the Big Book of... series.
Harris
Oct 16, 2015 Harris rated it liked it
Check out my review of this nostalgic comic and others in the Factoid Books series on my Booklikes article, Big Book of Factoids! 100% true, maybe not, but 100% '90s definitely!
Laura Cushing
Jan 07, 2016 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing
Entertaining graphic novel with urban legends. Many I had heard before, but some were new and surprising. A lot of fun and nice to see all the different illustration styles of the many comic artists who contributed to the book. Will seek out others in the series.
Mike Da Silva
Aug 12, 2008 Mike Da Silva rated it it was amazing
Everyone knows someone who has a friend's neighbor's cousin's co-worker's son's teacher's friend who had this happen to them. Great stories, some I knew, some I kinda heard of, some were new to me, but it's a great read to keep in the john.
Pinko Palest
Oct 06, 2016 Pinko Palest rated it liked it
intriguing in parts, great artwork, but it seemed that some of the stories would have worked better with one more page, or at least with a bit more text. The one bit I found tiring was the very first part, concerning cars
T. Smith
Jul 29, 2011 T. Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
"Big Book of..." is great illustrated series on a wide variety of topics with lots of top-notch artists and authors. Jan Brunvand has written several books on urban legends, so it's no surprise he'd be involved in this volume.
Andy
Feb 19, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
And here are all those Urban Legends you've heard about all your life, conveniently packed into one volume in comic book form, complete with lavish artwork by a host of comic book artists from the various substrata of the field.
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it really liked it
Not as interesting as the others, I think just because Urban Legends are pretty well known and fairly simplistic.
Carrie
Jul 23, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I wish I still owned this book. So much fun!
C.
Jul 30, 2015 C. rated it did not like it
Nothing worth mentioning.
Matt Piechocinski
Mar 11, 2013 Matt Piechocinski rated it really liked it
I never realized how very O Henrian many Urban Legends were.
Hoss
Mar 22, 2007 Hoss rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
It didn't happen to your best friend's uncle's daughter's babysitter's plumber. Really, it didn't.
Zanne
Jul 03, 2012 Zanne rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
17.95
Jamie Brooks
Jun 22, 2009 Jamie Brooks rated it liked it
This book was set up like a graphic novel making it a really easy read. I blew through it. I had only heard of about 25% of the urban legends mentioned in here so it was cool to learn about others.
Regina Hunter
Mar 03, 2013 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing
I know where half of supernatural ideas come from!
Nevs
Nevs rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Luigi Cartagena
Luigi Cartagena rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
  • The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of the Unexplained
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • Encyclopedia of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Grimm (Factoid Books)
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Urban Legends: 666 Absolutely True Stories That Happened to a Friend...of a Friend?of a Friend
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme
  • Worst Ideas Ever: A Celebration of Embarrassment
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
  • Thinning the Herd: Tales Of The Weirdly Departed
  • Book of the bizarre
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • The Fatal Lozenge

Paradox Press series of Big Book (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Freaks
  • The Big Book of Little Criminals
  • The Big Book of Thugs: Tough as Nails True Tales of the World's Baddest Mobs, Gangs, and Ne'er do Wells! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Losers