Start by marking “Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World” as Want to Read:
Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Many of us feel called to respond to the ecological destruction of our planet, yet we feel overwhelmed, immobilized, and unable to deal realistically with the threats to life on Earth. Noted spiritual and environmental thinkers Joanna Macy and Molly Young Brown contend that this crippling response to world crisis is a psychological defense mechanism that has been endemic s ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Life

Measures of Success by Nick SalafskyHow to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale CarnegieA Primer of Conservation Biology by Richard B. PrimackEcosystem Management by Gary MeffeBlessed Unrest by Paul Hawken
Chris Vaughan Recommendations
7th out of 19 books — 1 voter
Magic of Conflict by Thomas CrumPlaying with Fire by Fiona MacbethWe the People by John Buck Jr.The Empowerment Manual by StarhawkThe Change Handbook by Peggy Holman
Community building
7th out of 8 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Eric
Aug 16, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in waking up.
Recommended to Eric by: A Good Friend
Reading this book is like taking a cold shower that sobers you and wakes you up after a drunken stuper. Then it is like a friend standing by with a warm towel and some clean clothes. Then it is like a warm community gathering where everyone is included and compassionately held along the journey of deep healing. I can't say enough about this book. Words fall short.
Jonathan
Sep 16, 2007 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone

This book is a breakdown of what it takes to create a potent experiential workshop that truly changes lives. It is drawn from decades of activism, spiritual practice, and practical research by Joanna Macy, a woman i consider to be a valued elder of the community, a mentor, and a gift.

Joanna Macy has touched thousands of people through her life, training educators and clergy around the world in the implementation of group practices that range from eye opening to profound.

If you choose to read t
Suzy
An awakening book that provides a plethora of suggestions, experiences, and exercises that promise to be helpful if you are interested in leading workshops focusing on deep ecology, or interpersonal bonding.
Misha Fredericks
Very good if you want to lead a group using her principles. After years of feeling despondent over the state of our world, her book helped me cope with my feelings.
Cathy
This has a bunch of great group exercises about facing despair and finding hope, as well as the theory behind Macy's work on despair (systems theory, eg)
Carolyn Boyd
Another wonderful and important book from one of my favorite authors!
Rah~ri
Jun 25, 2009 Rah~ri marked it as to-read

one i'll have to take a closer look at...
only willing to pay two bucks for it though :)
(used) See if it decides to appear at a tag sale!

"MANIFEST!"

???

we'll see
Jaina Bee
Feb 28, 2012 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers, activists, systems geeks
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: fate
I have a feeling I'm going to be returning to this book many times to review its insights and practice the group exercises.
Lisa
Aug 16, 2012 Lisa added it
new
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Caitlin Skellett
Caitlin Skellett marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ilana
Ilana marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Mpho3
Mpho3 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
A N I A
A N I A marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Mo Tipton
Mo Tipton marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Elliot James
Elliot James marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Aria Tuki
Aria Tuki marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Eric Jacomet
Eric Jacomet marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lily Wardzala
Lily Wardzala marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Maura Cowley
Maura Cowley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • Earth Democracy: Justice, Sustainability, and Peace
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Healing With Form, Energy, And Light: The Five Elements In Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, And Dzogchen
  • The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community
  • Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet
  • The Next American Revolution: Sustainable Activism for the Twenty-First Century
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet
Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General Systems Theory: The Dharma of Natural Systems Despair and Personal Power in the Nuclear Age Dharma And Development: Religion As Resource In The Sarvodaya Self Help Movement