Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Many of us feel called to respond to the ecological destruction of our planet, yet we feel overwhelmed, immobilized, and unable to deal realistically with the threats to life on Earth. Noted spiritual and environmental thinkers Joanna Macy and Molly Young Brown contend that this crippling response to world crisis is a psychological defense mechanism that has been endemic s...more
Published October 1st 1998 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Life

Measures of Success by Nick SalafskyHow to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale CarnegieA Primer of Conservation Biology by Richard B. PrimackEcosystem Management by Gary MeffeBlessed Unrest by Paul Hawken
Chris Vaughan Recommendations
7th out of 19 books — 1 voter
Magic of Conflict by Thomas CrumPlaying with Fire by Fiona MacbethWe the People by John Buck Jr.The Empowerment Manual by StarhawkThe Change Handbook by Peggy Holman
Community building
7th out of 8 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Eric
Aug 16, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in waking up.
Recommended to Eric by: A Good Friend
Reading this book is like taking a cold shower that sobers you and wakes you up after a drunken stuper. Then it is like a friend standing by with a warm towel and some clean clothes. Then it is like a warm community gathering where everyone is included and compassionately held along the journey of deep healing. I can't say enough about this book. Words fall short.
Jonathan
Sep 16, 2007 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone

This book is a breakdown of what it takes to create a potent experiential workshop that truly changes lives. It is drawn from decades of activism, spiritual practice, and practical research by Joanna Macy, a woman i consider to be a valued elder of the community, a mentor, and a gift.

Joanna Macy has touched thousands of people through her life, training educators and clergy around the world in the implementation of group practices that range from eye opening to profound.

If you choose to read t...more
Suzy
An awakening book that provides a plethora of suggestions, experiences, and exercises that promise to be helpful if you are interested in leading workshops focusing on deep ecology, or interpersonal bonding.
Misha Fredericks
Very good if you want to lead a group using her principles. After years of feeling despondent over the state of our world, her book helped me cope with my feelings.
Cathy
This has a bunch of great group exercises about facing despair and finding hope, as well as the theory behind Macy's work on despair (systems theory, eg)
Carolyn Boyd
Another wonderful and important book from one of my favorite authors!
Rah~ri
Jun 25, 2009 Rah~ri marked it as to-read

one i'll have to take a closer look at...
only willing to pay two bucks for it though :)
(used) See if it decides to appear at a tag sale!

"MANIFEST!"

???

we'll see
Jaina Bee
Feb 28, 2012 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers, activists, systems geeks
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: fate
I have a feeling I'm going to be returning to this book many times to review its insights and practice the group exercises.
Lisa
Aug 16, 2012 Lisa added it
new
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Josef Kreitmayer
Josef Kreitmayer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Zoe Ainsworthgrigg
Zoe Ainsworthgrigg marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Akos Laboda
Akos Laboda marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Azadeh Zaarekar
Azadeh Zaarekar marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Cathy
Cathy is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Lindu Pindu
Lindu Pindu marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mutual Causality in Buddihism and General Systems Theory: The Dharma of Natural Systems (Suny Series, Buddhist Studies) (SUNY Series in Buddhist Studies) Despair and Personal Power in the Nuclear Age Dharma And Development: Religion As Resource In The Sarvodaya Self Help Movement Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General Systems Theory: The Dharma of Natural Systems