Start by marking “Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World” as Want to Read:
Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Many of us feel called to respond to the ecological destruction of our planet, yet we feel overwhelmed, immobilized, and unable to deal realistically with the threats to life on Earth. Noted spiritual and environmental thinkers Joanna Macy and Molly Young Brown contend that this crippling response to world crisis is a psychological defense mechanism that has been endemic s ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Life

Measures of Success by Nick SalafskyHow to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale CarnegieA Primer of Conservation Biology by Richard B. PrimackEcosystem Management by Gary MeffeBlessed Unrest by Paul Hawken
Chris Vaughan Recommendations
7th out of 19 books — 1 voter
Magic of Conflict by Thomas CrumPlaying with Fire by Fiona MacbethWe the People by John Buck Jr.The Empowerment Manual by StarhawkThe Change Handbook by Peggy Holman
Community building
7th out of 8 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Aug 16, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in waking up.
Recommended to Eric by: A Good Friend
Reading this book is like taking a cold shower that sobers you and wakes you up after a drunken stuper. Then it is like a friend standing by with a warm towel and some clean clothes. Then it is like a warm community gathering where everyone is included and compassionately held along the journey of deep healing. I can't say enough about this book. Words fall short.
Sep 16, 2007 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone

This book is a breakdown of what it takes to create a potent experiential workshop that truly changes lives. It is drawn from decades of activism, spiritual practice, and practical research by Joanna Macy, a woman i consider to be a valued elder of the community, a mentor, and a gift.

Joanna Macy has touched thousands of people through her life, training educators and clergy around the world in the implementation of group practices that range from eye opening to profound.

If you choose to read t
Daniel Behn
We repress what we really feel about the future, a growing anxiety that we are losing it. We are losing nature bit by bit. We are losing community, we are losing possibilities for future generations of enjoying biodiversity, and we are risking the very future of sustaining life itself. In our race of time, we repress these feelings, we replicate a model that plunders the earth, based on a false need of continuous production, consumption, division of labor and marginalization of great parts of so ...more
An awakening book that provides a plethora of suggestions, experiences, and exercises that promise to be helpful if you are interested in leading workshops focusing on deep ecology, or interpersonal bonding.
Misha Fredericks
Very good if you want to lead a group using her principles. After years of feeling despondent over the state of our world, her book helped me cope with my feelings.
This has a bunch of great group exercises about facing despair and finding hope, as well as the theory behind Macy's work on despair (systems theory, eg)
Carolyn Boyd
Another wonderful and important book from one of my favorite authors!
Michelle Merrill
This is a book I keep coming back to for engaging activities to share with groups and workshops. Beautiful!
Jun 25, 2009 Rah~ri marked it as to-read

one i'll have to take a closer look at...
only willing to pay two bucks for it though :)
(used) See if it decides to appear at a tag sale!

we'll see
Jaina Bee
Feb 28, 2012 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers, activists, systems geeks
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: fate
I have a feeling I'm going to be returning to this book many times to review its insights and practice the group exercises.
Aug 16, 2012 Lisa added it
OoOo marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Sérgiopp marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Níké Nys
Níké Nys marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Tinie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Kyja Wilburn
Kyja Wilburn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Chelsea Carlson
Chelsea Carlson marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
K.O. marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Søren Esbjørn
Søren Esbjørn marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Sharon Miller
Sharon Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Paul Trimble
Paul Trimble marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
  • Earth Democracy: Justice, Sustainability, and Peace
  • Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community
  • Citizens Dissent: Security, Morality, and Leadership in an Age of Terror
  • Flight Maps: Adventures With Nature In Modern America
  • Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement