None So Blind: A Short Story Collection

None So Blind: A Short Story Collection

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"In action, a writer looks pretty much like a clerk." So Joe Haldeman writes in the introduction to this collection. But Haldeman, like Einstein, proves that clerks can have enough vision to rock the cosmos. This book includes 11 stories and four story poems, ranging in length from two pages to just over 100. Together they have earned two Nebula, two Hugo and one World Fan...more
Published March 1st 1997 by Harper Voyager (first published 1995)

Buck Ward
I read None So Blind by Joe Haldeman because his The Forever War is not available in eBook or audiobook format for download from my public library. I hadn't read Haldeman before. So, now, I've added him to my mental list of good authors.

One thing I liked about None so Blind is the author's afterword following each story. It was clear that his service in Viet Nam and his wounds had a significant impact on his writing, and presumably, his life.

The stories are mostly good. The narrator of the audio...more
Rebecca
This was an unintentional but interesting juxtaposition to follow The Things They Carried. Both authors are Vietnam vets; both are clearly processing their experiences through their writing. But unlike O'Brien's searing nonfiction, Haldeman chooses to mix in some elements of the fantastic. There's some common threads through some of these stories--a couple have similar "there's a monster in the jungle and it's coming to get you" themes that I can see easily arising from long nights of peering in...more
Alex
"None So Blind" is set of short stories interesting for those who remember the Vietnam War because much of the book deals with short stories about that war. The book is dated though not terribly so.

Probably the most interesting story in this collection is one about a college professor who decides to create a forgery of lost works of Earnest Hemingway. Most of the story has nothing to do with Hemingway. It is a story of multi-universes... somewhat like the movie Source Code.

BTW, the book is quite...more
Mentes Literarias
Leído por: Jrm•Redbird
Brigid
Nov 17, 2013 Brigid rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sf fans, HS and up
Shelves: sf-fans
Audiobook: Solid collection of some of Haldeman's most famous stories, most of which are connected by some hint of the author's own experiences in Vietnam. I appreciated the author's notes at the end of each story. My favorite one was about warmongers and how much your reality depends on what people tell you.
Mckinley
Lots of variety in stories all from a male perspective many deal with war/fighting and hunting. I liked some more than others.
Eric
A collection of short stories including the novella "The Hemingway Hoax." All were very readable. Some were slightly pointless in my opinion, but others made up for it. His straightforward style makes for easy and quick reading.
Mike Scott
A collection of short stories by Joe Haldeman, I absolutely loved them! The Hemingway story was awesome. I had never heard of Joe Haldeman before, I will most certainly be looking for more of his work.
Jason
Not his best but another solid sci-fi entry by Haldeman. Good short stories and the novella, "The Hemingway Hoax" was great.
Jessi
Jul 27, 2007 Jessi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Haldeman is such a good writer. I liked every story in this collection, especially "The Hemingway Hoax."
Ayman Fadel
Wonderful collection of short stories and a novella about Hemingway. Enjoyed almost every one.
Joe Osborne

Excellent short story collection of Haldeman's best and most award winning stories.
Dev
Haldeman is an excellent storyteller. Interested more in the people than what they create.
Dave
Short science fiction stories. Mixed bag. Some seem ho-hum, others amazing.
Craig J.
None So Blind: A Short Story Collection by Joe Haldeman (1996)
Mush
Great collection of short sci-fi.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
J Hopkins
J Hopkins marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Gerhardt Himmelmann
Gerhardt Himmelmann marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ronny
Ronny marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres...more
More about Joe Haldeman...
The Forever War (The Forever War, #1) Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2) The Accidental Time Machine Camouflage Forever Free (The Forever War, #3)