Start by marking “A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)” as Want to Read:
A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  642 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The "Enterprise discovers a lifeless Federation research vessel, orbiting a planet hidden behind a mysterious energy shield. Over the strong objections of his senior officers, Captain Picard and an away team beam over in search of the missing crew -- And vanish.

But soon his captain's disappearance is not the only problem facing Commander Riker. For a mysterious disease has
Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages
Published June 1st 1989 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Call to Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Call to Darkness

Stephen
Another satisfactory installment in the Star Trek TNG saga. This one makes good use of Worf and to lesser degrees Dr. Pulaski and Geordi to tell a tale about a world that has devolved into a gladiator entertainment centered society.

The story does raise some interesting issues about what develops strength of character and how a society that is decimated by an alien conflict might be psychologically scarred for generations. It doesn't make much use of the Star Trek mythos other than borrowing a f
Kati
Mar 12, 2010 Kati rated it it was ok
A ST:TNG tie-in. Boring. The characters behaved very out of character compared to their TV-selves and the story just dragged on and on and on. Maybe if this was a short story, it would have worked, but as it was - nope, not really. Too many characters in peril meant too many scenes with just one crew member doing... something... to show that he was in peril. I know that the author probably thought the book needed some world-building but it felt mostly tiresome. I even skipped a page here or ther ...more
Alan Grist
May 04, 2015 Alan Grist rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, made it to the end.

I'm compelled to read the series from beginning to end - that's the only reason I finished this, book. Name choices of new characters overly complicated. Too much unnecessary & boring extrapolationn. The whole disease plot was just a writer's device to put a time limit on the primary plot & was fixed to easily. Why would the natural antibody of the MUTATED bacteria from one planet be present in the daily gruel of a planet in a different star system? And of cou
J.W. Braun
Sep 30, 2009 J.W. Braun rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Star Trek books. It goes beyond the television series and delivers a story that could only be told in a novel format.
Maj
Jun 05, 2012 Maj rated it it was ok
Probably he worst Trek book I've read so far. But still serves the purpose...so if you decide to read it, you'll survive. :)
Chris
Jun 12, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Better than some of the Star Trek books that I have read. The only thing I didn't really care for was that it took too long to get into the main story. Chapter 2 was about recreational activities that the main characters enjoy and I wanted to get to the main plot.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Not bad, but the whole war thing was a bit too much for me. Story was full of holes, jumped all over the place and suddenly ended without any reason.
Camille
Jan 10, 2011 Camille rated it did not like it
The Enterprise is searching for a lost vessel. The Enterprise finds the vessel without its crew. An away-team beams down to investigate. The away-team (which includes Captain Picard much to Riker's disapproval) disappears. We find out a planet is stealing the crew of ships which come in its orbit in a Hunger Games (good book by the way) like situation to continue a faltering war but keeps its "lower caste" population entertained. I think my description sounds a lot more entertaining than the act ...more
Constance Augusta Zaber
Aug 07, 2014 Constance Augusta Zaber rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Only made it past 2 stars because of the inclusion of my beloved Pulaski.
Colin Ager
Sep 28, 2012 Colin Ager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
As a fan of Star Trek I want to read anything and everything that is written around Star Trek. As with most books it has started off well. From the first page of the book you are hooked and feel as if you are there, while reading the book you can imagine, all of the crews voices, and some of things and reactions they do, and that's a sign of a good book, as the author knows that fans of the TV series knows the personality's of all the Star Trek crew, so the author does have to stay in Character. ...more
Dana
Jan 25, 2015 Dana rated it liked it
Good old fashioned enjoyable nostalgia.
Barbara
Feb 19, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
The story was alright but it could have been any characters, it was not very Star Trek at all. In fact for almost all of the book the characters didn't know who they were so they really didn't act like themselves. It was ok as a bit of light sci fi drama but disappointing if you are expecting something that could have been a show story.
Melvin Lance
Plot: 3stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 stars

Again with the massive amounts of head hopping. I think I'm going to read one of the ones I remember liking as a teenager and see if it's just as bad. Might not actually read a bunch of these after all.
Thomas Melnik
Aug 30, 2014 Thomas Melnik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Michael Jan Friedman is the best Star Trek novel author.

I enjoyed the world he created for this novel. The known-character utilization was ingenious in this particular Star Trek novel. It was a fun read.
Lovisa
Jan 21, 2013 Lovisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
It was pretty ok, enjoyable but somehow it lacked substance. The original character Dan’nor was very interesting, the author could have done alot more with him. Overall a nice story.
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 Jeff added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 19, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
The opposite of everything "The Children of Hamlin" manages to be: it's dull, tedious, and a chore to finish. The TNG cast veers between bland and almost unrecognizable.
Angela
An ok story. Some characters did seem a bit disjointed compared to the TV stories. The world iswas set in was well done, and intriguing. But as a Star Trek book it disappointed.
Robert
Jun 26, 2015 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek-tng
Wasn't very good and the author kept calling the transporter the teleporter and things being teleported.
Travis
Oct 16, 2009 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
One those 'mysterious alien illness' stories, but an entertaining one.
Peggy Boyd
Aug 11, 2009 Peggy Boyd rated it really liked it
This was just to relax while school is out :)
Eric Elems
Feb 12, 2013 Eric Elems rated it liked it
A straightforward TNG adventure.
Jenn
Jun 21, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
i really liked this one alot.
Carmen
Mar 31, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Star Trek TNG. Nuff' said.
Maggie
Gemma
Gemma added it
May 01, 2016
Idiedforyou
Idiedforyou rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Reliant18642003yahoo.com
Reliant18642003yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)