Start by marking “The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)

The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation #8)

Captain Picard engages in a deadly contest of wills with an ambitious starfleet captain.
Mass Market, 255 pages
Published May 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Captains' Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captains' Honor

nnuk
Jul 16, 2014 nnuk rated it it was ok
Shelves: startrek
A 'blah blah' attempt to turn a mundane TOS episode (Bread & Circuses) into a mundane book; and the result is, yes you guessed it, 'mundane'.

One of the joy of reading Star Trek is, well, the many excitements of future possibilities, humanity and anything far far beyond. If I wanted to read about Romans or German war, I'd probably go for history section. By giving a warp-drive spaceship to some Romans doesn't make a good Science Fiction. It's just a ST-themed messy drama.
Bill
Mar 02, 2014 Bill rated it did not like it
Blech.

On page 30 of 255 of The Captains' Honor and the Mary Sue and the Romans aboard the former Farragut were making me flinch already. The artist put a Japanese sword on the cover, not a Roman sword because it was cooler. Obviously, no one thought Romans would sell the book...

Ninjas would have been cooler. But there wasn't a single cool thing about this book, unless you're a little interested in the alternate history of Rome.
Nathan Burgoine
Oct 14, 2014 Nathan Burgoine rated it it was ok
I barely recall this book in the Next Generation novel series. I do know it involved the Magna Romans, and that it was a butting-heads sort of tale between Captain Picard and a Magna Roman captain of another starship. Beyond that - a blank. It wasn't exceptional in any way, really.
Jefferson
Aug 28, 2014 Jefferson rated it really liked it
The Captains' Honor offers a layered plot based on a complex situation the Enterprise crew find themselves in. It rarely takes you down the obvious route (except possibly with Riker's romancing of one of the supporting characters), and it does a great job evoking the first season of Star Trek: the Next Generation, and connecting it with the Original Series in a subtle way.
Alan Grist
Not true to characters I know

Captain Picard does not ring true as well as word & some scenes, like a grieving ensign becoming romantic with a man right after her lover has died, just make no sense.
Robert
Apr 03, 2015 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek-tng
Was not a fan of this book. What was interesting though was learning what happened to the Magna Roma after Kirk visited. What was odd to me though is they didn't mention him by name and just said an earlier ship named Enterprise
Craig
Jan 19, 2015 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Honor is right. Interesting evaluation of all the perspectives of honor in different culture and what truly is the honorable thing to do. There in lies the book's strength.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Not the best one in the series, that's for sure. Most likely based on a TOS story, but I thought it was too fast and too easy.
Reuben Herfindahl
Dec 20, 2015 Reuben Herfindahl rated it really liked it
A good sequel to an original Trek episode. Entertaining.
Jerry
Sep 08, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
Interesting story; great writing.
Chris
Jan 15, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
I would like to know with the second ship so disappointing that way. Also I don't know why Worf is on the cover when he didn't play much of a role in the book.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 25, 2015 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
One of the strangest Star Trek novels. The alternate Earth from the TOS episode "Bread and Circuses" now a Federation memeber? An Enterprise populated with crewmembers from other strange pseudo-Earths? There's an interesting story buried in here, but some of the continuity elements are warped and stretched around it, to ridiculous proportions. It's almost worth reading for curiosity value.
Dark-Draco
Apr 19, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
I was a bit disappointed by this in the end. The set up was great - a much more blood thirsty story then you would ever have got on the TV, but right up my street :) But then it all kind of fell apart - it didn't really end and it felt a bit rushed. I want to know that Sejanus will get his comeuppance! But I still love it because it's Star Trek.
Travis
Feb 05, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Worf grumbles, wishing his Captain was more forceful, more of a warrior. Then the Enterprise is teamed with another starship, with a more forceful Captain and Worf learns a about a little thing I like to call 'be careful what you wish for'.
Pretty cool bits of intrigue and would have made a decent TV episode.
Angela
An odd TNG book, in that all the characters apart from Picard and Riker are sidelined. The author concentrates on his characters more, so that it doesn't really feel like a TNG book that much. It was a quick read.
Lovisa
Jan 16, 2013 Lovisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
A bit confusing in the beginning and not completely logical at all times. It also left alot of ends open which is again a bit confusing. It did pick up after a while though and towards the end it was not too shabby.
Camille
Oct 01, 2010 Camille rated it did not like it
An uninteresting plot with mundane "new" characters, meanwhile the Enterprise crew lifelessly strolled about the novel doing nothing, seriously, nothing. A terribly boring book... totally without honor.
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 Jeff added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Todd R
Jun 04, 2015 Todd R rated it liked it
Shelves: trek, trek-tng
A good enough read for a Trek novel. Good and fast and light on the description with a few morality challenges that make Trek what it is.
Kayla
Nov 21, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it
If you're interested in a philosophical battle of Non/Violence Philosophies, I highly recommend this to you.
K
Ciaran
Ciaran added it
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)