Start by marking “A Hard Rain” as Want to Read:
A Hard Rain

A Hard Rain (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A clever, page-turning thriller in which the world of the Starship Enterprise and the holodeck world of 1940s San Francisco entertwine. It was raining in the city by the bay. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the slime out of the streets and back into the holes they crawled out of... In the hardboiled style of a classic West Coast crime novel, HARD RAIN seamlessly blends th ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Pocket Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Hard Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hard Rain

Paul Lunger
The idea of a Dixon Hill novel seems like a good idea in theory; however, Dean Wesley Smith's "A Hard Rain" fails miserably in that category. The Dixon Hill story is called the "The Case of the Missing Heart" which plays out twofold as the holodeck malfunctions again & the Enterprise is caught in an area of space known as the Blackness. The story itself is essentially written as a bad murder mystery with the primary players being Picard as Dixon Hill, Beverly as Bev & Data as Mr. Data. T ...more
Angela
Dixon Hill has a case to solve. The Enterprise has lost an experiment in the holodeck. The Dixon Hill story is a lot of fun, and the way it is told is different from your normal Trek books. You don't really know what happened until near the end, and that meant that there were 2 mysteries. Though I do wonder about the holodeck sometimes as it always goes wrong. If you enjoy the Dixon Hill episodes, then this is the book for you. A good read.
James
dean Wesley smith delivers a great read in a hard rain. I always liked Dixon hill.
Moses Operandi
I can't say I enjoyed this book, but frankly, it was intriguing. The plot, the dialogue, and the fake patina of a 30s pulp crime novel were bizarre, and it had almost no substance at all. Strangely, I finished it. I guess something about it appealed to me subconsciously, and I was hooked from the first few lines: "It was raining in the city by the bay. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the slime out of the streets and back into the holes they crawled out of."

It wasn't good. In fact, it was prett
Cheryl
Don't expect a serious mystery, or a thought-provoking SF. Don't expect complex characters or dramatic encounters with non-humans. Don't be put off by a lot of bloodshed. It's just a fun quick casual read, in the tradition of classic pulp.
Clarissa
I was never quite sure what was going on, and by the time I figured it out, I had stopped caring. It feels like it was intended to be an entirely separate story, and last minute someone tried to make it fit within the TNG universe.
Maggiemay1992
Mar 13, 2014 Maggiemay1992 marked it as to-read
Shelves: star-trek
This is the only Star Trek book that I've ever thought was terrible. It was very repetitive and lacked the strong story line that I have come to expect from a Star Trek book.
Ivy
Different writing style then I am use to but good none the less. Liked to watch Picard and Dix solve their respective problems. Would recommend it to other Star Trek fans.
Travis
Didn't finish it. Couldn't finish it. Worst Star Trek book I've ever read. I never liked the Dixon Hill story lines in the show.
Ralph McEwen
An interesting little mystery and writing format. I was able to suss out who done it, fairly early on.
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
John Campbell
John Campbell is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Fernandabernardes
Fernandabernardes marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Andurilx
Andurilx marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation #50)
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #43)
  • Tooth and Claw (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #60)
  • The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Forgotten War (Star Trek: The Next Generation #57)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 2 of 3 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • The Death of Princes (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #44)
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
Pen Names
Edward Taft
Dee W. Schofield
D.W. Smith
Sandy Schofield
Kathryn Wesley

Dean Wesley Smith is the bestselling author of over ninety novels under many names and well over 100 published short stories. He has over eight million copies of his books in print and has books published in nine different countries. He has written many original novels in science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, and r
More about Dean Wesley Smith...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2) Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4) The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2) Echos (Star Trek Voyager, #17) Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)