Start by marking “Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects” as Want to Read:

Internationally celebrated designer Lotta Jansdotter collects 24 of her most popular sewing patterns into one irresistible collection. Our innovative packaging makes for easy usereusable pattern sheets are neatly tucked into a folder inside this full-color, lay-flat spiral bound book. Lotta has included patterns for handy tote bags, smart aprons, chic bed linens, and much ...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing

Meagan
Mar 10, 2008 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sewing
Recommended to Meagan by: Barnes & Noble
Shelves: how-to
This book is the ONLY instructional sewing book that has worked for me. As a very head strong, "I can teach myself how to do anything...without a book" personality, it took me a long time to even look into books about sewing. But after a year of using my machine I realized that I needed to know more and that I needed someone else's wisdom to help me do this. Lotta Jansdotter is the one! This book comes complete with great and simple projects, easily modified or changed to suit your particular ne ...more
angela
Jul 10, 2008 angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
I highly recommend this book for it's projects. It has projects appropriate for beginner's to get used to their machines (place mats), projects to help you expand your sewing skills (tote bags), projects that allow you to get used to using patterns (a sun hat), and more advanced projects (gardening tote).

A true beginner will need some assistance (she gives brief explanations of techniques, but a real novice will probably be slightly confused). But after you understand your machine and the basic
Erinn Batykefer
Another disappointing Lotta Jansdotter book. This one earns an extra star for actually having projects and patterns that are usable (unlike Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style), but to be honest the projects are so simple that the patterns are a joke. Simple sewing books are great, but the sophistication of Jansdotter's fabric designs are likely to attract readers who will be disappointed with this book, as I was. Readers looking for clean design and simple pro ...more
Darcy
Sep 12, 2009 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
Lotta has such a distinctive style and this book definitely shows it off. I love the little hand-drawings, to say nothing of the way she mixes different kinds of fabrics. The photography is lovely. I've had this book for two years, though, and have yet to make any of the projects. That's not exactly because they don't seem useful or fun--the chopstick placemat, for example, is both easy to make and functional--but just because none of the patterns seem very . . . unusual? I guess what I'm saying ...more
Renee
Dec 13, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the novice sewista,the sewing enthusiast, the person who is easing back into sewing
Shelves: reviews, sewing
Sep 05, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: diy
I picked this book up based on the good reviews. The projects in this book work because the fabric is fabulous. You may want to pick it up for the list of websites in the back. (Oh, forget it. Three of the websites are no longer active.) As for the actual projects, most struck me as things that I don't want to make. However, those projects that I do want - place mates, I am better off using place mats that I like and using them as a guide. If you want a book to help that process, this book may b ...more
KJ
Mar 20, 2009 KJ added it
I was not totally inspired by this book. Actually I am looking to gift it to someone else. There is nothing wrong with this book...The projects are just not my style. They are cute and kitchy with no bad-ass mixed in. I, however, ran with her idea for making "draft snakes" for single-paned windows. I did not have to use her instructions and pattern for the project...Even as a totally novice seamstress I was able to put it togehter!
Amy
Aug 27, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Once you pick up this book, you'll recognize the simple, Sandinavian-inspired prints and stitcheries right away as Lotta Jansdotter's. Inside the front cover lies a packet of patterns to help you along with the projects. There is also a pattern sheet for appliques and embroidery. The graphics are simple and beautiful, just as you would expect from Lotta.

This book is entitled Simple Sewing as the projects promise to be free of complications like zippers and buttonholes - it's a beginning sewers d
Jessica Hopkins
Mar 22, 2010 Jessica Hopkins rated it really liked it
This book made me realize I am not as novice a sewer as I tend to think. I would dare say that at least 50% of the projects are so easy that it shouldn't qualify as one of the 24, and require little more than a rolled hem and sewing a straight line.

On the other hand, the fact that she breaks super easy projects into even super easier steps really helps motivate you to tackle the projects if you're the sort that requires more motivation than most (as I most certainly am). She supplies some fanta
Anne
Sep 25, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
For beginner beginners. Thinks are cute but overly simplistic, and there are some techniques, like turning corners, that, if undertaken as written won't get the results one wants...
Lana.
Nov 21, 2011 Lana. rated it liked it
Shelves: diy
Simple Sewing offers exactly just that: 24 easy projects that are charmingly simple and functional. Pleasantly soothing photographs, show projects fitting instantly into one of the more rustic IKEA showrooms, while at the same time hint at green / eco friendliness tendencies.

However, because simple lines and elegance are key, there lacks the punch and edge that catch the eye. As the books description indicates, this is definitely chic – as in understated style – and also comfortable.

Will defini
Bethany
Feb 23, 2012 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: project-books
3.5 stars. Jansdotter released her first fabric line this year and it is lovely. Clean modern prints in trendy colors like mustard and grey. Love it! She keeps her projects extremely simple so this is a great book for the beginner. She has some fun organizing stuff in here and some easy patterns for simple bags. My favorite is the pattern for a duvet cover in K, Q and Twin--it's so nice she's figured out the proportions for you! I could update my bedding every other year!
Catherine
Oct 14, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I made my first project from the book--the reversible apron--and was very pleased with the outcome. The instructions were easy to follow, the pattern well-designed, and the finished apron turned out so pretty. I know my way around a sewing machine and found this pattern to be a great project to turn out in a few days. I imagine this project would provide the right amount of challenge for a motivated beginner as well. I can't wait to try out the other patterns!
Betsy
Apr 15, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
Very simple, appealing projects. I like that finished dimensions are given for projects. Problem: some of the patterns/directions are a touch incomplete (e.g. the tote bag). I also think that some of the projects are almost too simple--I'd prefer my placemats to be a little more substantial than simply a hemmed rectangle of fabric. That being said, this is a fantastic beginner book, and the projects are easy to "run with"--to embellish, expand, etc.
Erin
Oct 08, 2007 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I want to make every single thing in this book. So, so pretty I can't even stand it. Once again, I haven't actually made anything in here yet (but I've been eyeing that curtain with pockets deal since I first saw it)and my understanding is the patterns can be...uh...challenging and maybe not so "simple." Maybe not for beginnners but if you've got a brain, a calculator, and basic sewing skills you'll most likely be fine.
Lily
Dec 31, 2013 Lily rated it it was ok
I wouldn't say these patterns are easy. I'm a beginner and the book immediately intimidated me. The blankets and some of the other patterns are beautiful. I would like to try a few out. I like that the patterns are in the book. I checked it out fron the library and was pleasantly surprised they were there.
Becky
Aug 25, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Again i love the aesthetics of this book, the photography is beautiful and really shows off the projects inside. The first two projects I ever made with my sewing machine are from this book and I was so impressed how they turned out - very professional looking for such simple designs. It is a great book for a new sewer and I think I will make many more projects from here.
Tamara
Dec 17, 2007 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
The projects look like they came out of an Urban Outfitter's catalog. Cute and trendy and simple. However, I never actually follow the instructions or use the patterns, so I can't rate how easy they are. Projects include handbags, magazine racks, and a yoga mat/art print tote.
Inder
Dec 24, 2008 Inder rated it liked it
I'm finally gettting my money's worth out of this book by using the tote bag pattern. In general, wonderful, tasteful, minimalist designs that aren't nearly funky enough for my tastes or difficult enough to warrant the price tag for me (however, good for real beginners).
Feb 21, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
I LOVE this book! Lotta Jansdotter has loads of easy-sew patterns and instructions in this book. I love her bags, and have made loads of them using different fabric and small changes to style. I've also made 2 aprons (one for me and one for Emma--8).
Love it!
Anne
Feb 15, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
The projects are simple and fun. The book is informative and accessible. It's also very attractively designed. It would be a great resource for someone embarking on sewing for the first time. I especially liked the list of resources at the back of the book.
Rebecca
Jun 30, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
I love this book and practically every project in it. Lotta's ability to simplify and created homemade goodness make me want to sew more and more. Her instuctions are easy to follow and easy to understand. Her designs are simple and full of beautiful function.
Erika
Mar 08, 2008 Erika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning or advanced beginner sewers
Shelves: sewing
This is an AWESOME sewing book. The author speaks in plain, down to earth language and gives great advice about sewing supplies and fabrics. Projects are stylishly simple and absolutely do-able for a beginner or someone getting back into sewing after a long hiatus.
Jeanne
May 22, 2008 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: howto, creativity
Quite a few of the projects in here are so basic I didn't need to buy the book...but there are two great bag patterns in here that I really love. The backpack pattern though needs a much longer strap that indicated, otherwise it looks like it was made for a child.
nicole
Aug 25, 2008 nicole added it
Unrated since I haven't made a single thing from this. But it is fun to look at and some of the projects seem doable for a novice like me. Though my friend Lisa points out the unhelpful instructions which go something like:
1) cut out the pattern
2) make the item
Jenn/Yana
Apr 10, 2008 Jenn/Yana rated it really liked it
Very clear instructions, excellent for a beginning seamster. Modern Euro-style designs without being too trendy. Nice selection of patterns, includes paper patterns in front pocket of book. Good duvet pattern that I will probably use.
crystal
Feb 09, 2008 crystal rated it it was amazing
one of the best sewing books i've seen. great for beginners, simple projects. also includes some more advanced projects for those who are a little more advanced. the reversible apron is the best! includes patterns.
Jessica
May 29, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I've had this book for a few years and I'm finally making something from it - the simply lovely apron. Actually, I'm making four at a time for graduation gifts and it's going great. Great book with great projects!
Katherine
Feb 15, 2010 Katherine rated it it was ok
I've had this book on my Amazon wishlist for a while, so finally decided to get it from the library and preview it. I've only just flicked through it, so I'm not decided yet whether it's worth buying.
Tasha
Oct 28, 2007 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: crafts
I want to make every single thing in this book but I only managed to make the pot holders. Simple, funky and cute patterns. The patterns are written clearly enough so even a newbie like me can understand.
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens