What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers

What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  789 ratings  ·  46 reviews
An essential to any writer's library, What If? is comprised entirely of specific exercises intended to help the reader master the art of writing fiction.The exercises isolate the various elements of fiction - dialogue, plot, characterization, point- of-view, etc. - and present specific problems to solve through writing.Directed toward both beginners and professional write...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 528 pages
Published December 4th 2003 by Longman (first published 1990)

Bonnie
This second edition of What if?, a tome of a book, is labeled “College Edition” and would appeal to anyone teaching fiction writing, or to anyone who writes fiction. This book would also appeal to readers: the final two sections – 200 pages of this over-500-page book – contain a dozen short-short stories; and a collection of contemporary short stories by stellar authors such as Margaret Atwood, Raymond Carver, and Alice Munro.

The book is organized around fourteen topics: Beginnings; Notebooks,...more
Kaecey
This is the kind of book that you like more or less depending on where you are in the writing process, what your goal is in consulting the book, and your state of mind at the time.

This book is useful and provides many exercises which help the reader write, get it down, get it out, and get through a block or obstacle that is preventing words from flowing. The exercises are relatively short and manageable. Some feel uncomfortable, silly, or strange - when I react like that to a writing exercise,...more
Bonnie
I have the newest version which I had to order from the states, but I refer to it often. There aren't quite the same exercises as this original, but there are more of them, and the new text includes a good number of short, short stories and short stories, as well.
Erin George
Oct 05, 2010 Erin George is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Many great writing exercises for writers of fiction. Unique section that gives student examples of writing prompts. Great for teachers of writing.
Dennis
Although I liked this book, my two main quibbles are: (1) the selection and arrangement of the collection of short stories, the lengthier ones, that is; and (2) not enough exercises. If you want an exercise on irony, it's not in here. How about one on subtext in dialogue? Zip.

Although the short stories aren't bad, I prefer them to be grouped together. A good example is the anthology Points of View by James Moffett. It is solely about POV and Moffett arranged the stories from straight internal mo...more
Rabia Bashir
Jam packed full of writing exercises - a great resource to keep handy when writing or experiencing 'blockage'!
Hella
prachtige oefeningen, en veel voorbeelden van uitwerkingen door studenten
Nena
This is a wonderful writing exercise book! There are several exercises that I already do in my writing, and I either skip them or tweak them a bit, but it is still helpful because now I know why those tips work or are necessary in writing. I try to do one exercise a day, but I find myself excited by the writing prompts and I end up doing two or three, or even stopping so I can work on a story the exercise has just inspired. I'm getting so much writing done these days! I will keep using this unti...more
Deborah
This book is the most condescending, poorly written book on writing that used to grace my shelves.

The authors spoke to their audience like we couldn't write, and their sentences were so wordy that I started removing the excess words. When I did this, I was able to cross out 50% of the words in the sentences and still maintain the original meaning of the sentence. If you are going to write poorly to inexperienced writers, then you certainly shouldn't condescend to them.

I threw this book away. It...more
Erin Landers
Great, wonderful, book! Tons of easy, relevant exercises, categorized in an easy-to-read manner, complete with student examples. And don't skip out on the short stories at the end of the book!

For anyone interested in workshopping, I am posting (almost) all of these exercises on my blog here: http://www.erinlanders.com/category/w...

I'd love to get someone participating with me.

Self-promotion aside, do pick up this fantastic book that is applicable to both novel writers and those who do short stor...more
David
I haven't tried any of the exercises in this book yet, but they look intriguing. Very practical oriented, not nuts and bolts technical, philosophical, or advice on how to live as a writer. Just a series of exercises (tons) to work on different fiction writing skills. Thorough. They've got some nice stories tossed in at the end, though they just kind of say "these are good stories" without providing any commentary as to why they were selected or what aspects are particularly well handled.
Robin
This was an okay book. My idea in reading it was that I would do each of the writing exercises as I read them, but most of them I felt would not help me achieve my current goals. I did get some great ideas though and I wouldn't discourage any writer from trying this book out. But I would recommend skimming through the book to find exercises that will help you work through your current kinks, and not to work through the book cover to cover.
Ryan
Sep 03, 2007 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring writers of any sort
This book has some fantastic characterization and plot exercises. My friend Colin recommended it to me after his summer class on writing, and it happened to be in my curriculum the next semester. While I haven't sat down and done all these yet, I certainly think it presents an amazing way to build full...not just characters, but people...and see stories from all ends. If you want to write, pick it up.
jacky
Nov 26, 2008 jacky marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I'm looking for books that have writing exercises. I think that some of my students could really use a few books of these in the room to turn to when they are stuck. If the books were available, I then wouldn't have to force the whole class through an exercise, but rather teach the kids to go to one of these sources when stuck. Now I just need to find the sources. This is a possibility.
Elizabeth
This is my favorite of the writing exercises genre, not a genre I love. I like this book best read from cover to cover rather than as a tool per se. That way, you get a sense of the authors' philosophy of writing, why to write, what makes authentic writing, what the point is of the whole venture. In the end I found myself agreeing with them often.
Andd Becker
Numerous writing exercises teach the student how to write exercises. What is the usefulness? Is the skill transferable?
Can't the student learn to write by reading about how to write? Must the student do the assignments? Wouldn't the same amount of time spent on freewriting serve the purpose?
Charlene Smith
Very useful book, so much junk is written as How To Write books, and as a writer I cast most of them aside. But this was very useful, I would read only a few pages and then stop and with my mind aglow dash to the computer and begin writing... very useful for new or experienced writers.
Cata Chacón
Very useful, I really recommend it.
Angela
There is one short story included in here that I absolutely LOVE: 'No One's a Mystery' by Elizabeth Tallent. It's only two pages but there is something really perfect about them. I still come back to this story every now and then just to re-read it.
Wendy
Oct 16, 2007 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all teachers of creative writing
All prose writers -- and perhaps poets too -- will find good food for thought here. I've used the exercises in this book for creative writing workshop with writers aged 15 to 75, young men in jail, university students, Mexican journalists, and many others.
H.J. Swinford
A great textbook for the Intro to Creative Writing class I was in. Gives some great tips for getting the creative juices flowing and some good points and examples. Keeping a journal with the reading of this book turned out to be really helpful.
Nic
This is one of the best collections of advice and exercises for fiction writers in existence today. While the other editions, which contain sample stories in the index, are better, this is a must-have for anyone looking to improve their fiction.
Judy Mayhew
What if I read a book of writing exercises? Would my writing improve? I hope so, but even if you're not a writer, this book is worth picking up for the fabulous collection of short stories at the back.
Zora
Taught out of it once upon a time. That it had exercises and short story examples made it a cheaper alternative for students than big anthology plus a couple craft books. Perfectly acceptable for that use.
Margaret
quite a good exercise book and perfect chrimbo present for budding writers

not jut outlines exercises but enlightens as to theories too so you can work through deficit,, good practical book that works
Anthony

Books like this are a must have for writers. Sometimes, when you can't push past a block, an exercise from a book like this will help you to work around it.

So will jogging. FYI.
Carl
Not bad. I don't hold too much to writing or learning to write through anything other than doing it, but that's the focus here, and some of the exercises are kind of fun.
Rob
Went through this on quickly. I had a go at a few of the exercises, but didn't really take much time with it. Might have to go through this again at some point.
Misty Provencher
I've got the first edition of this and I loved it. I really enjoy the writing aids like this, that ask the question and leave you to spin off into new directions.
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
Trophy House The Man on the Third Floor Back Then: Two Literary Lives in 1950s New York Growing Up Rich Professor Romeo