Start by marking “Anthony Burns: The Defeat and Triumph of a Fugitive Slave” as Want to Read:
Anthony Burns: The Defeat and Triumph of a Fugitive Slave

Anthony Burns: The Defeat and Triumph of a Fugitive Slave

Now in Laurel-Leaf, Virginia Hamilton's powerful true account of the sensational trial of a fugitive slave.

The year is 1854, and Anthony Burns, a 20-year-old Virginia slave, has escaped to Boston. But according to the Fugitive Slave Act, a runaway can be captured in any free state, and Anthony is soon imprisoned. The antislavery forces in Massachusetts are outraged, but th
Published January 4th 1993 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Anthony Burns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony Burns

Duffy Pratt
Mar 04, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, history, law
This book alternates between two aspects of the tale. One part deals with Burns' apprehension in Boston, and the subsequent proceeding to extradite him to Virginia under the Fugitive Slave Act. The Fugitive Slave Act was a federal law that allowed slave owners to recapture their slaves who had successfully escaped and settled in free states.

Remember, Southerners were huge fans of State's rights, and thought that the Federal Government should not be able to interfere in their definitions of what
Rosalinda
Nov 17, 2012 Rosalinda rated it it was amazing
Main Character/s: Anthony Burns
Setting: 1854 in Boston
POV: Anthony Burns

Summary: This novel is actually a true account of Anthony’s trial as a fugitive slave as well as his life as a slave. In this book Anthony Burns, a twenty-year-old slave from Virginia, is the main character. He tells his story of how he escapes slavery in Virginia and travels to Boston. Unfortunately he is captured in Boston, a free state. During this time period the Fugitive Slave Act, which is part of the Compromise of 1
Moe Aviandy
Feb 21, 2013 Moe Aviandy rated it liked it
Jan 13

I like how the first chapter showing Anthony's current situation and on to the next chapter, the story starts to build up when he was a child.

Jan 20

I was expecting Anthony's childhood story starting from Chapter 2 until the second last chapter where the last chapter will show what will happen to him on the court however it was the opposite. I can already tell the sequence will be odd chapters are present time and even chapters are past time which might confuse the reader. Nevertheless the
Jaina
Aug 27, 2016 Jaina rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I read Anthony Burns as a summer reading assignment for my new AP US History class. The assignment was to read a book connected to US history and then write a review of it, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and post my review on here as well as on the class website. The format is a little different from my usual reviews, because there are some specific questions I'm supposed to be answering, so sorry if it sounds a little stil
Kobe
Feb 20, 2014 Kobe rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good.It really keeps you wanting to read more since every time you think it'll stop more drama rises and you think Anthony will go back to slavery but you never know till the end of the trial.I also like how inbetween parts during the case it goes back to Anthony's childhood as a slave who was more privledged than others it really puts you in a slave's perspective just wanting to be free.
And even after the case so much goes on after the books main focus too like th
Kim
Jul 27, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Wow, the things that people were allowed to do to slaves and legally under the law too. I enjoyed this book, and learned a few new things like because of Anthony Burns, we now have the Habeas Corpus law. Interesting read. I would recommend it.
Leonard
Jan 03, 2013 Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Burns was born and raised as a slave until the part where he and his parents ran away because their owner's wife threatens to sell him or his mom away. once in Boston, his owner finds him and a debate starts. judging is Edward Loring and they argue for days about whether he should be free or a slave again. he is sold awhile later and receives his freedom.
Mason N
Sep 07, 2010 Mason N rated it liked it
This book is a good story for people who enjoy reading historical fiction. In this book I was surprised when the soldiers attacked the crowed of people. This happened when Anthony Burns was being taken to the ship because he was still a slave. The people were mad at the soldiers because of this so they started booing and hissing at them.
 Imani ♥ ☮
So...the only things I remember about this book are that he escaped from slavery, got recaptured and then escaped again as a free man. Yay! He's freed. But then in the epilogue it says he dies when he's like 30 or something. Boo :(
Judah
Feb 27, 2013 Judah rated it did not like it
if i could rate this book a zero i would because this was the most incredibly boring and unbearable to read. I do not recommend anyone in the world reading this because this book will make any person want to kill themselves. DO NOT READ.
Saytun
May 26, 2011 Saytun added it
I thought it was a triumphant book of epic proportions; it takes a great deal of patients though not an easy read for the most part it was very interesting.
Hannah
Apr 20, 2013 Hannah rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
So this was a class book, which made it that much worse. Maybe if I had chosen it I would have liked it better?
Erica
Jan 10, 2009 Erica added it
This book was alright. It wasn't a fast reader, and was pretty confusing, but it had a good message.
Tina Vanessa
where can i read it? xD lol
Erick Clemons
Erick Clemons marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Silver
Silver marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Annie Bishop
Annie Bishop rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Michael Belpedio
Michael Belpedio rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
SElizabeth
SElizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Audrey Brannon
Audrey Brannon marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Shawna Haughton
Shawna Haughton marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Heaven_hooks
Heaven_hooks marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Joseph Guaigua
Joseph Guaigua marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016