Start by marking “The Devil's Banker” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Banker

The Devil's Banker

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  594 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Hailed as “the John Grisham of Wall Street” by the New York Times, Christopher Reich returns to the world he knows so well--the dangerous, dazzling world of high finance and international intrigue. In this ingeniously crafted thriller, the bestselling author of Numbered Account and The First Billion introduces his most complex and engaging hero yet: forensic accountant Ada ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Dell (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Banker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Banker

James
The Story

Christopher Reich’s The Devil’s Banker is an old fashioned chase book. Except here the quarry is an international terrorist. And the hunter uses computers more than guns to corner his prey.

Of all of the ways to fight terrorism, this book covers perhaps the least understood but most important aspect: finance.

Adam Chapel is a forensic accountant whose biggest thrill is to discover and then pull out the “golden thread” of the terrorist transactions. Just as he is about to nab his first
Dipanjan
"Follow the money" is the one liner to describe the plot line of this book. In "The Devil's Banker", Mr. Reich has explored a very realistic approach to the counter-intelligence efforts against terrorism. All terrorism efforts indeed revolve around the critical availability of funds. Without money there is no revolution, no political campaign. What is intriguing about this story is the cat-and-mouse game between the forces of evil and the patriots of intelligence community. It's a simple idea, o ...more
Melody Benz
Crime solving the terrorist plot by following the money. I've already admitted to my lack of financial prowess but, the places I went to in this book and people I met were so intriguing to make it an adventure I couldn't end until the author allowed it.
Anna Mcfadden
Adam Chapel is a CIA forensic accountant teams up with British intelligence agent Sarah Churchill to stop a terrorist act by following the money. lots of different players, at first hard to remember who is who.
The underlying story is good...terrorists laundering their money around the world to fund their terror activities. But in typical Christopher Reich style, there are too many characters, too much going on, a lot of waffle and then everything happens quickly in the last 100 pages. I wish there were half stars because I'd rate this 2.5 rather than a 3.
Denitsa
Мисля, че за първи път четох нещо такова и изненадващо ми хареса.
Millicent
Another one of those books that illuminates parts of the world I know nothing about. The forensic accountants of this world have changed the way the "bad guys" do business. The author educated me about the importance of looking at the numbers, tracking the money, and catching the bad guys. It would seem to be very unreal, until reading Fareed Zakaria's book - Post American World and seeing his assessment that closing down access to funds has shrunk the possible impact of Al Queda....
A good read
Edward
I enjoyed this book as I have every one of Reich's books. He's one of the top thriller authors writing today IMO, but never seems to get mentioned with the real creme de la creme. Which is too bad, because he deserves it.

Reich doesn't do any one thing better than others - characters, pace, writing are all solid and that is what makes his books good. And he doesn't go overboard with too much action or too much introspection and several of my favorite thriller authors have begun to do in recent ye
Nathan
Dec 19, 2007 Nathan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Accountants
Shelves: but-wish-i-hadnt
Everyone wants an exciting job these days. Well, watch out, because the international FBI accountants are on the loose. Following a trail of money, these super action-hero-ish accountants are taking on the world of terror, and saving humanity one pinched penny at a time. My first sign that this book would be voted off the island was when the first mission was code named “Operation Overdrawn.” The only good thing I can say about this book is that the dust cover had a cool picture on it.
Lee
This book by Reich follows the money trail of terrorism. A bomb takes out a team of policemen in Paris and Adam Chapel a former account tries to follow the money trail to stop the terrorist attack. Aided by Sarah Churchill who provides the “boots on the ground” part of the duo they attempt to follow the banking trail to find the suspects. Okay action from Reich highlighting the glamorous part of stopping terrorism.
Mari
A compelling plot without a compelling protagonist. Clever international money laundering crime, described in detail that would satisfy the pickiest lawyer or accountant. The novel moves around a bit, and the author provides a good sense of each setting.
But I couldn't bring myself to care what happened to the main character, which ultimately made the book a not unpleasant but forgettable vacation read.
Frederick Bingham
This book is about a terrorist plot to set a nuclear bomb off in the White House. The case is pursued by Adam Chapell, a financial investigator with the Treasury Department. The angle in the story is that Adam uses his financial skills to follow the flow of money from one offshore bank to another.

The narrator is a Scot who does a decent job with all the accents in the story.
Luann
I wanted to like this book - it had all the elements I look for in a good thrilling, espionage story. However, there were too many characters (and aliases), too many story lines and way too much emphasis on banking and accounting practices and acronyms. I didn't really empathize with any of the characters and couldn't wait until the ulterior motives were revealed by all.
Judi
A very complex story with Reich's way of twits and turns.
Mark
Ironically I'm reading three Reich stories right now...In this one Reich has created a run-of-the-mill chase novel of a forensic accountant's search for a terrorist that is targeting the House of Saud and the US...compelling story and characters...international intrigue and a surprising twist at the end...good summer reading!!!I'm off to a good start
London Steverson
Christopher Reich has done for unconventional financing what John LaCarre did for spycraft, and what John Grissom has done for the law. The dialogue is so believable, and the characters are so attractive, it makes you want to live your life all over again and choose another profession.
Bruce Henderson
An enjoyable read in the thriller genre with forensic accounting being a welcome change. Plot twists kept the interest alive through the book to the end. I agree with another reviewer that jihadist terrorism is an overused schtick, but this book used it in an interesting fashion.
Jessica
Three stars is generous.
This is just pulp, not much thinking, like watching an action movie in my head.
There are too many characters and side-plots to keep track of, and the Muslim threat of terrorism is overdone.
Yeah, three stars is very generous.
Darren
A decent book about an agent using financial information to track down terrorists, but not as good as the others I've read by Reich. I was never really drawn into the story. If you haven't read Numbered Account, read it instead.
Mark
Fascinating plot. Also relevant and easy reading. But for those of us looking to get the down and dirty of money laundering (in a fictional sort of way) it doesn't get detailed enough. No surprise though.
Ace
Though I, personally, have had my fill of post 9-11 Arab threats and would rather avoid them if I can, I have to admit this one was pretty good and original in enough ways to hold my interest.
Victorvanr
Sun, sea, holiday and the Devil's Banker. Good combination.
Ben Rand
Very rushed ending. Really hate when authors do that, particularly ones I rather like. It was an enjoyable ride, right up to the "let's get this over with in two pages" ending.
Denise
John Lee does a wonderful job reading this thriller. I've just discovered Reich and am enjoying his fast paced, twisty plots in an international setting.
Shriram Narayanan
Not bad, interesting concept, esp using numbers to track terrorists down. Plot development, and raciness (what keeps one turning the pages) was a bit lacking
Bgrayyoung
Another post 9/11 thriller of us vs the terrorist....in this case the money brokers. An interesting look into fanaticism. Great ending!
Kathrine
not as good as The Runner or Numbered Account. too many characters to keep track of. though the ending pulled it all together.
Fred
Much, much better than The First Billion. Devil's Banker was just about non-stop from the get go. Recommended.
Jessica
did not finish this - will try another of his books but will punt this author if this one is a dud.
Linda
Lots of acronyms and I'm just not that interested in reading terrorist anything.
  • Free to Trade
  • The Hit List
  • The Takeover
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • The Assassin (Tommy Carmellini, #3)
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Revelation
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • The Getaway (Sam Archer, #2)
  • Magnus
  • Flesh & Bones (Jake Lassiter, #7)
  • Esperanza (Hungry Ghosts, #1)
  • The Gods of Greenwich
He was born in Tokyo and moved to Los Angeles in 1965. He attended Georgetown University and the University of Texas and worked in Switzerland before returning to the United States to become an author. He lives in San Diego and is the author of seven novels. He has a wife and 2 kids. His father is Willy Wolfgang Reich

"A relentlessly fast-paced espionage thriller, ripped from tomorrow's headlines b
More about Christopher Reich...
Rules of Deception Rules of Vengeance The Runner Numbered Account Rules of Betrayal