Start by marking “The Devil's Banker” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Banker

The Devil's Banker

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  813 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Hailed as “the John Grisham of Wall Street” by the New York Times, Christopher Reich returns to the world he knows so well--the dangerous, dazzling world of high finance and international intrigue. In this ingeniously crafted thriller, the bestselling author of Numbered Account and The First Billion introduces his most complex and engaging hero yet: forensic accountant Ada ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Dell (first published January 1st 2003)

James
May 21, 2009 James rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
The Story

Christopher Reich’s The Devil’s Banker is an old fashioned chase book. Except here the quarry is an international terrorist. And the hunter uses computers more than guns to corner his prey.

Of all of the ways to fight terrorism, this book covers perhaps the least understood but most important aspect: finance.

Adam Chapel is a forensic accountant whose biggest thrill is to discover and then pull out the “golden thread” of the terrorist transactions. Just as he is about to nab his first
Marcie Sasso
Apr 17, 2016 Marcie Sasso rated it it was amazing
Reich is the best! I've read all his books. I'm late to post a review on The Devil's Banker, but like all my Review's for the MASTER, 5 STARS!
Graeme Stuart Waymark
Nov 01, 2015 Graeme Stuart Waymark rated it liked it
Shelves: 8-2015
Any review or the cover will describe the plot and the cast of characters involved in finding and stopping terrorists. A lot of well researched data around that theme is presented and can be both understood and followed. BUT, oh my gosh, the number of characters, with a novel approach to having a protagonist - my advice to the author or editors: don't!

Do not compell the reader to choose one main character from many. Is the reader faced with a choice such as: who is first amongst equals? Or perh
Dipanjan
May 15, 2013 Dipanjan rated it liked it
"Follow the money" is the one liner to describe the plot line of this book. In "The Devil's Banker", Mr. Reich has explored a very realistic approach to the counter-intelligence efforts against terrorism. All terrorism efforts indeed revolve around the critical availability of funds. Without money there is no revolution, no political campaign. What is intriguing about this story is the cat-and-mouse game between the forces of evil and the patriots of intelligence community. It's a simple idea, o ...more
Melody Benz
May 23, 2014 Melody Benz rated it really liked it
Crime solving the terrorist plot by following the money. I've already admitted to my lack of financial prowess but, the places I went to in this book and people I met were so intriguing to make it an adventure I couldn't end until the author allowed it.
Ida
Sep 30, 2015 Ida rated it it was amazing
A highly suspenseful thriller involving terrorists and banking. The twists and turns keep it fast-paced and compelling, definitely plausible and thoroughly entertaining from beginning to end. This was my first Christopher Reich novel and it won't be my last.
Anna Mcfadden
Nov 28, 2014 Anna Mcfadden rated it really liked it
Adam Chapel is a CIA forensic accountant teams up with British intelligence agent Sarah Churchill to stop a terrorist act by following the money. lots of different players, at first hard to remember who is who.
Fussnik
Jan 21, 2016 Fussnik rated it liked it
there wasn't any love or affection in the book; even a father trying to kill his son. Not sure I'll retain any of the info on spying through data on figures, banks, passport numbers. It was gripping though.
May 22, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
The underlying story is good...terrorists laundering their money around the world to fund their terror activities. But in typical Christopher Reich style, there are too many characters, too much going on, a lot of waffle and then everything happens quickly in the last 100 pages. I wish there were half stars because I'd rate this 2.5 rather than a 3.
Michael
May 16, 2015 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
Got a little over halfway, waiting to begin to care about the characters. Never happened. I felt that this book was purely action-based, and the action wasn't even exciting or memorable.
Denitsa
Nov 18, 2014 Denitsa rated it liked it
Мисля, че за първи път четох нещо такова и изненадващо ми хареса.
John
Apr 28, 2015 John rated it did not like it
2008 grade F

Audio novel

Spy/Terrorist story
Tim Johnson
Aah, the romance of forensic accounting!
Millicent
Jan 15, 2011 Millicent rated it really liked it
Another one of those books that illuminates parts of the world I know nothing about. The forensic accountants of this world have changed the way the "bad guys" do business. The author educated me about the importance of looking at the numbers, tracking the money, and catching the bad guys. It would seem to be very unreal, until reading Fareed Zakaria's book - Post American World and seeing his assessment that closing down access to funds has shrunk the possible impact of Al Queda....
A good read
Edward
Oct 20, 2010 Edward rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as I have every one of Reich's books. He's one of the top thriller authors writing today IMO, but never seems to get mentioned with the real creme de la creme. Which is too bad, because he deserves it.

Reich doesn't do any one thing better than others - characters, pace, writing are all solid and that is what makes his books good. And he doesn't go overboard with too much action or too much introspection and several of my favorite thriller authors have begun to do in recent ye
Nathan
Dec 19, 2007 Nathan rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Accountants
Shelves: but-wish-i-hadnt
Everyone wants an exciting job these days. Well, watch out, because the international FBI accountants are on the loose. Following a trail of money, these super action-hero-ish accountants are taking on the world of terror, and saving humanity one pinched penny at a time. My first sign that this book would be voted off the island was when the first mission was code named “Operation Overdrawn.” The only good thing I can say about this book is that the dust cover had a cool picture on it.
Lee
This book by Reich follows the money trail of terrorism. A bomb takes out a team of policemen in Paris and Adam Chapel a former account tries to follow the money trail to stop the terrorist attack. Aided by Sarah Churchill who provides the “boots on the ground” part of the duo they attempt to follow the banking trail to find the suspects. Okay action from Reich highlighting the glamorous part of stopping terrorism.
Mari
Aug 17, 2012 Mari rated it liked it
A compelling plot without a compelling protagonist. Clever international money laundering crime, described in detail that would satisfy the pickiest lawyer or accountant. The novel moves around a bit, and the author provides a good sense of each setting.
But I couldn't bring myself to care what happened to the main character, which ultimately made the book a not unpleasant but forgettable vacation read.
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it liked it
This book is about a terrorist plot to set a nuclear bomb off in the White House. The case is pursued by Adam Chapell, a financial investigator with the Treasury Department. The angle in the story is that Adam uses his financial skills to follow the flow of money from one offshore bank to another.

The narrator is a Scot who does a decent job with all the accents in the story.
Luann
Jun 14, 2013 Luann rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book - it had all the elements I look for in a good thrilling, espionage story. However, there were too many characters (and aliases), too many story lines and way too much emphasis on banking and accounting practices and acronyms. I didn't really empathize with any of the characters and couldn't wait until the ulterior motives were revealed by all.
Judi
Mar 04, 2014 Judi rated it it was amazing
A very complex story with Reich's way of twits and turns.
Mark
Jun 07, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
Ironically I'm reading three Reich stories right now...In this one Reich has created a run-of-the-mill chase novel of a forensic accountant's search for a terrorist that is targeting the House of Saud and the US...compelling story and characters...international intrigue and a surprising twist at the end...good summer reading!!!I'm off to a good start
London Steverson
Apr 10, 2010 London Steverson rated it really liked it
Christopher Reich has done for unconventional financing what John LaCarre did for spycraft, and what John Grissom has done for the law. The dialogue is so believable, and the characters are so attractive, it makes you want to live your life all over again and choose another profession.
Bruce Henderson
Feb 13, 2009 Bruce Henderson rated it liked it
An enjoyable read in the thriller genre with forensic accounting being a welcome change. Plot twists kept the interest alive through the book to the end. I agree with another reviewer that jihadist terrorism is an overused schtick, but this book used it in an interesting fashion.
Jessica
Oct 16, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Three stars is generous.
This is just pulp, not much thinking, like watching an action movie in my head.
There are too many characters and side-plots to keep track of, and the Muslim threat of terrorism is overdone.
Yeah, three stars is very generous.
Darren
Dec 05, 2008 Darren rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, audio
A decent book about an agent using financial information to track down terrorists, but not as good as the others I've read by Reich. I was never really drawn into the story. If you haven't read Numbered Account, read it instead.
Mark
Mar 02, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Fascinating plot. Also relevant and easy reading. But for those of us looking to get the down and dirty of money laundering (in a fictional sort of way) it doesn't get detailed enough. No surprise though.
Ace
Sep 07, 2012 Ace rated it liked it
Though I, personally, have had my fill of post 9-11 Arab threats and would rather avoid them if I can, I have to admit this one was pretty good and original in enough ways to hold my interest.
Victorvanr
Sun, sea, holiday and the Devil's Banker. Good combination.
Ben Rand
Very rushed ending. Really hate when authors do that, particularly ones I rather like. It was an enjoyable ride, right up to the "let's get this over with in two pages" ending.
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 94 Mar 14, 2016 09:19AM
  • Free to Trade
  • The Takeover
  • The Hit List
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • The Assassin (Jake Grafton Universe, #13)
  • Long Way Down (Jason Stafford, #3)
  • Revelation
  • Top Producer: A Novel of Dark Money, Greed, and Friendship
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Silent Night (Sam Archer, #4)
  • The Grey Man
  • Chameleon
  • The Dutch Wife
He was born in Tokyo and moved to Los Angeles in 1965. He attended Georgetown University and the University of Texas and worked in Switzerland before returning to the United States to become an author. He lives in San Diego and is the author of seven novels. He has a wife and 2 kids. His father is Willy Wolfgang Reich

"A relentlessly fast-paced espionage thriller, ripped from tomorrow's headlines b
More about Christopher Reich...