Start by marking “Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Jinxed

Carol Higgins Clark

Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mystery #6)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,049 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Fresh from tracking down a diamond thief in Manhattan, Regan Reilly returns to her Los Angeles office only to discover her horoscope says now is not really the best time to get started on a new case. Undaunted, she sets out to locate a missing young heiress. But Regan finds herself thwarted by a string of misadventures, inexplicably jinxed as she races up and down the Paci ...more
Audio CD
Published November 1st 2002 by Sound Library (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jinxed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jinxed

Carol
Aug 16, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a charming story with lots of quirky characters. Even the bad guys were inept, bumbling idiots so this was a mystery without a grusome mudrer to solve.
Lauren
Dec 09, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
The Regan Reilly books get a little better each time. I don't like the reviews that compare her books to her mother's work, criticizing it as not as suspenseful. Of course it's not as suspenseful! Mary writes suspense novels, Carol writes mysteries. That's like hating the movie Philadelphia because Tom Hanks wasn't as endearing in that as he was in Forrest Gump. Same general genre, different subgenre.
This definitely falls in the cozy mystery category. Great for a rainy day or an extra long bus
Laurie
Jun 07, 2017 Laurie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Boring.
Gabriela
We have a private detective who is hired by this family of hippies who need to find their daughter so they can all attend to the wedding of a 93 year old millionairess actress who happens to be marrying for the 6th time and who's 5th husband used to be their uncle. If they attend to this wedding, they get 2 million dollars each just for being there because this old lady is kind and giving I guess. The lady of course is marrying a younger guy who only wants her for the money. And our lovely detec ...more
Kristen
Apr 16, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-cozy
In the 6th installment of Carol Higgins Clark's Regan Reilly PI series, Jinxed, Regan returned in this new cozy mystery to solve another puzzling mystery. This time, we found her in Los Angeles, when Lilac Weldon requested her to find her daughter, Whitney, to attend her aunt's wedding. If she did, she would inherit a boatload of money. But Lilac's soon-to-be-uncle-in-law is a con artist, who would do anything to prevent Whitney from showing up in the wedding. It was now up to Regan to foil the ...more
Shannon Glen
Waaaay too many characters for me! I'm not sure what is going on when you have blow by blow details about where people are walking, what they are thinking, what they are eating.... come on. Tell the story we can infer, and we are smart enough to know how some things work without being told it in such great detail!
Billie
Nov 25, 2008 Billie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore the entire Regan Reilly series. They read so quickly. I don't think it's taken me a day to read any of them.
Denise Spicer
Jun 02, 2017 Denise Spicer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Regan Reilly is off on a rollicking romp through California wine country trying to track down a missing actress. The crazy cast of characters includes a former movie star from the silent film era, her much (MUCH) younger and suspiciously shady husband-to- be, hippie winery owners, and a motorcycle gang (The Road’s Scholars). Hilarious, sometimes almost slapsticky, antics keep our attention to the exciting end amid wildfires and buried treasure.
Marie
Jun 12, 2017 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Libby
Jun 17, 2017 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
funny ,clean loved the main character . One of my favorites that i've read of hers so far
Morgane Zambrelli
Feb 19, 2017 Morgane Zambrelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup aimé ma lecture !
De nombreux personnages, de nombreuses intrigues (un peu compliqué à suivre par moments) qui rejoignent l'intrigue principale.

Lu pour le challenge "petit mois, petites lectures"
Jen Mays
A silent movies screen star who lost her career when the "talkies" came into existence is about to fall victim to a swindler out for her fortune. She's blind to his false charisma, though everyone around her seems to know his true colors. In an effort to reunite with long-lost family, invitations to the wedding are sent, along with a secret revealed by the star's housekeeper---if they all show, they each get a cash reward. A private investigator is brought in to help track down the family member ...more
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Sep 11, 2009 Lyn (Readinghearts) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Mom
Shelves: books-i-own
I would definitely class this book in the cozy mystery category. It is a light and fun read. Reagan Reilly, Daughter of Nora Reagan Reilly of Mary Higgins Clark fame is a P I from Los Angeles. She and her boyfriend stop at a winery in the Santa Barbara area while on vacation, where Reagan gets hired to find a relative that has gone AWOL for the weekend. From there things go downhill for everyone involved. This book had many characters, most of which are hiding something, and of course money is a ...more
Vivienne Neal
Nov 28, 2015 Vivienne Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Mystery

The saga is filled with so many twists and turns, and complicated, flawed and funny characters that you can identify with. On Mother’s Day, an aging silent film star is about to marry a swindler, but, in steps Regan Reilly, a private investigator, hired to locate a missing woman who must attend the wedding in order to receive two million dollars. Set in Napa Valley, the author takes you on a delightful ride filled with betrayal, deceit, deception, greed, and manipulation and gives
Lisa
Mar 01, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book on CD - since I now commute 30-minutes each way to work. I was getting bored with radio and wanted to give audio books a try. On purpose I chose a light 'fluffy' read. I've read some of Carol Higgins Clark's books before - and knew what to expect - 'formula' type of writing with predictable plots. The author did the reading - and I felt she tried too hard to do different voices for each character. I also wanted the reading to be a little quicker in speed. All in all, this ...more
Cactuskid
Her books aren't as good as her mother's writings but this was still interesting to see how it would all end. Very predictable but flowed well even with a lot of different characters. A 93 year old very wealthy ex-silent film actress was going to marry someone 47 years younger. She wanted to meet her last husband's family and have them come to the wedding (and give them money) but they couldn't find one granddaughter, also an actress, so they called in P.I. Regan Reilly to find her. They all end ...more
Ellen Moore
Jan 07, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting mystery with lots of action. I think Carol Higgins Clark has improved as a writer as her series has progressed. I enjoyed this book more than others I have read in this series. The lives of the regular characters have developed with each book, and the new characters in each story have added interest. This one involved the wedding of a wealthy 93-year-old former silent screen star and several relatives she did not know but wanted to attend her wedding. All the events leading ...more
Jen
Mar 11, 2013 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good listen while on a road trip. I was a little confused because there really didn't seem to be much of a mystery involved since the reader always knew what was happening. However this was my first book by this author so maybe they're all that way, and it's about the characters putting it together and not the reader.

I liked the madcap feel to this, including the ridiculous conclusion with everyone ending up at the winery. It was silly, but for a lighthearted listen to pass the time,
Deborah Darsie
Oct 22, 2012 Deborah Darsie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kinda Cozy mystery readers
Nothing special mystery-wise, but some fun characters who seemed more giddily self obsessed than I have read in a while.

The first 1/3 of the story was a bit of a mire...I was struggling with being motivated to complete this puppy. But I am glad I got to see how the baddies got caught, the target(s) survive and triumph and Lucretia endears herself to darn near everyone around her...no matter how unusual.
Becky
Aug 02, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim Bourner
A laugh-out-loud, make people think "what the heck is she on?" book.

There are many characters involved, most of them are all money-hungry or greedy. The story(ies) are a snowball effect. There are no 'quiet' moments in this book. I had to curse myself several times for getting sleepy when I wanted to keep reading!

I'm envious of those of you who will be reading this for the first time, you're in for a treat!
Rachel
Jul 29, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regan Reilly is hired by the owners of Altered States winery to track down one of the owners daughters, Whitney Weldon. Whitney is an actress who is working on a movie but has taken off for a relaxing weekend. Whitney's family wants her to show up at their aunt Lucretia's wedding so they will all get a share of her fortune. As is typical is Carol Higgins Clark books a wide array of characters is brought into the story. There isn't much of a mystery here but the book is lighthearted fun.
April Suter
I believe I read this book before but it was worth reading it again. A rich much older woman is getting married, Reagan's parents are in town, an actress is missing, an employee is digging holes behind the barn and Jack is looking for some bad guys on the East Coast. In true Clark formula all those events are related.
Jun 08, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Grandma
Shelves: mystery
This was probably my least favorite of the 3 books I read by this author because they gave away the bad people and motive at the end. You just had to wait for them to get caught at the end. It did have some interesting characters and a setting I liked (most of the books did), but that was about it.
Anna
Dec 30, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy read chick-lit. Regan Reilly is a private eye with a novelist for a mom and a NYC cop for a boyfriend. I've read Regan's capers before. They're funny, fairly predictable, but have great characters and she goes to fun places. I recommend it. Carol Higgins Clark, like her mother, knows what people like and gives it to them.
Wanda
Apr 06, 2015 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about a 93 year old past silent movie star who is planning to marry a much younger gold digger. More and more characters come along for the ride. It is all solved and resolved before the barn burns down. I recommend it!
Kimberly
Jan 28, 2017 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quirky and ridiculous mystery -- in a good way. I was in the mood for something breezy and this fit the bill. The plot was a bit predictable. I enjoyed the bumbling bad guys and the utter randomness of it all.
Cecilia Valetti
Jul 21, 2016 Cecilia Valetti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny

The more books you read by Carol Higgins Clark, the more you appreciate the funny and lighthearted entertainment they offer. You can see the complete solution only in the end, and always with a surprise....... and love and true feelings win in the end!!
Melissa
Sep 19, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, but the plot was pretty predictable if you ask me. I read it in a couple of days during the summer during my bus ride to and from work. It served it's purpose- it kept me busy and kept people from striking up a conversation with me :)
Alice
Oct 29, 2013 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3 and a half stars
I love how everybody's lives interconnects and all the serendipity that needs to happen for it to be a Carol Higgins Clark mystery. The lightest of light mysteries. Great for a quick escape.
Rachelle
I like this author, she combins mystery, suspense & humor. If you like the tv show Monk, you'll proabably like her books. Just purely for entertainment, not going to change your life. But sometimes I like those books!
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
Carol Higgins Clark (1956– ) is an American mystery author. She is also the daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark , with whom she has co-authored novels, and the former sister-in-law of author Mary Jane Clark.

Born in New York City, Clark received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1978 and then studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. She is the author of the Regan Reilly mystery series.
More about Carol Higgins Clark...

Regan Reilly Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
  • Twanged (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #4)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)
  • Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #11)