Start by marking “The Loner” as Want to Read:
The Loner

The Loner

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The powerful new bestseller from Josephine Cox -- the country's favourite storyteller.
Unknown Binding, 3 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published February 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Loner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loner

Charlotte
For a start, I thought that Josephine Cox was meant to be quite an acclaimed author - I expected a really high standard of writing and on reading the back of 'The Loner' was looking forward to a gripping page-turner.

I was disappointed.

The writing style was so lacking energy and enthusiasm and certainly the first 2/3 of the book dragged on and on and was nothing more than an over-flowery attempt at setting the scene. In fact, by the middle of the book I was bored and willing a plane crash, hurr
Margaret aka serenityblue Jackson
I tend to really enjoy these traditional historical fiction novels by this author and interestingly enough Cox is my mum's maiden name and I always pass them along to her
CoryHoneyBadger SlapAAshliTribeVickers
I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.I think this timeless tail was a good choice of my time to read.It was humorous and exciting in some parts but hard to read most of the time.It was followed by boring details.Home is where the heart is - but it's also where the pain lurks! After a tragic accident involving his mother, and the disappearance of his father, young Davie flees his hometown of Blackburn, unsure of what the future holds. Devastated, he must escape the haunting memories of the worst nig ...more
Rebecca Haslam
I've read a number of her books over the years and I have to say I think, for me, this is one of the better ones. It took me a while to read, about three and a half hours while on a night shift, but nevertheless, it was one I could put down and come back to rather easily. The only negative for me was that the ending was rather cheesy, but other than that it was an enjoyable enough read, though not one I'll return to.
Penny
Jul 28, 2009 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a tragic accident involving his mother and the disappearance of his father, young Davie flees his hometown of Blackburn. Devestated, he must escape the memories of the worst night in his young life. With little more than the shirt on his back and a fierce determination to find his father, he sets off on a lonely, friendless road.

Back home, those Davie has left behind wait anxiously. Will they ever see him again? Exhausted and afraid, Davie finds friendship and a place to stay. Maybe he wil
Arlene
Jan 22, 2016 Arlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All her books are repetetive - she fills her pages with the same things oer and over. I read this in 1 day.
Yasira
Mar 06, 2014 Yasira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book. Very enjoyable, one of my favourites.
Rowlie
Sep 16, 2014 Rowlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Jo Cox full of intrigue.
Lesley Cuttle
an easy read but not really a page turner and a little predictable
Kathy
Aug 05, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Enjoyed This Story
Laura Haigh
May 05, 2014 Laura Haigh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Kept reading in hopes it'd get better....nope!
Keiran Broadhurst
Mar 10, 2011 Keiran Broadhurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is not a book I would have picked up off the shelf, I must admit. It was this months book club read and so i was more than happy to give it ago and guess what I loved it from the first chapter! I do think it ended a little too quickly and I suppose it was all a bit coincidental but don't we all hold on to fate... I really enjoyed it.
Debra
Aug 07, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. I read this one last year and although it was not one that I 'could not put down' it has a very beautiful story, the type of story that fills you with butterflies in the tummy....

Another great book, if you like reading Nicholas Sparks books, this one is a great one as well...
Grace
Jun 10, 2012 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I liked this book but felt that this was not the authors best work. It was a good story but I felt it had a predictable ending. It's still worth reading though. What I do like about this author is that the stories she tells are different but interesting.
Jules
Sep 13, 2014 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few novels by Josephine Cox, & find I always thoroughly enjoy them. I find her writing style easy to read, & the stories & characters she creates are always believable. It's easy to get emotionally involved when it comes to her books.
Eddy
Feb 04, 2011 Eddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Sam
Oct 06, 2011 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book. the first page is slightly boring but as the story progresses, it gets so much better. I'm not sure if Josephine Cox' books are all like this, but if they are they must be good books.
Emma
Feb 07, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always find Josephine Cox a nice read, with a bit tension and then it all works out in the end.
It made it even better this time as there was even horses in the storyline!
Dayana  Hindi
Feb 24, 2013 Dayana Hindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-s-reads
this is a great book , very interesting and exciting . you would defiantly enjoy the way Josephine describes scenes , feelings and ideas , i recommend it to every one ..
Brenda Shiru
This book was a real challenge for me.it took me FOREVER to finish it!!!!and i felt like the finish was really rushed
Yasmin Rofidi
Jan 24, 2013 Yasmin Rofidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it quite a touching story, I'm pretty surprised it's had as many bad reviews. U enjoyed reading it.
Janet Randon
Thought this one a tad slower than other of her books and guessed the ending. But still a good read.
Jus
Mar 09, 2014 Jus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable and could have been shorter. Too many coincidences but a light enough read.
Lili
May 20, 2012 Lili rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, hardback
I was disappointed in this book as I was expecting it to be pretty good from the reviews.
Lois
Jul 21, 2013 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every minute of it. Just goes to show you that, love does really conquer all.
Kylie
May 20, 2012 Kylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. It did take a little to get into but then I couldn't put it down.
Janeli
Jan 10, 2013 Janeli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending wasnt what i would call a 5 star ending
overall it was good.
Susanne
Sep 08, 2011 Susanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Sentimental. Unbelievable characters and plot.
Mercy
A really good book, the story is very touching.
  • Sadie
  • Friends Forever
  • The Flamboya Tree: Memories of a Family's War Time Courage
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • An Outrageous Affair
Josephine Cox was born in Blackburn, one of ten children. At the age of sixteen, Josephine met and married her husband Ken, and had two sons. When the boys started school, she decided to go to college and eventually gained a place at university but was unable to take this up as it would have meant living away from home. Instead, she went into teaching – and started to write her first full-length n ...more
More about Josephine Cox...