Start by marking “The Book of Runes” as Want to Read:
The Book of Runes

The Book of Runes

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Book of Runes issomething very special: a part of the ancient past and, perhaps, a part of your future...

Based on a tradition over one thousand years old, the Runes are seen by manyasa contemporary Oracleandcollectively, have establishedthemselves as a remarkable aid in practical decision making.

A huge success with over 900,000 copies sold, since its original publicati
Hardcover, 25th Anniversary Edition, 160 pages
Published November 11th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Runes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Runes

Jason Koivu
I thought this was about how to decipher and read Nordic runes. It's not. Boy howdy am I glad I didn't spend much on this book, otherwise I would've tracked down Ralph Blum and shoved it up his ass.

Not only does The Book of Runes not teach you the real meaning behind the long mysterious letters, Blum randomly invented their meaning and turned an entire people's way of writing into a tea leaf reading game. The book originally came with a bag of tiles with one of 25 of the rune letters printed on
Pete daPixie
A King he was on a carven throne,
In many-pillared halls of stone
With golden roof and silver floor,
And runes of power upon the door.

When Herodotus traveled around the Black Sea, he encountered descendants of Scythian tribesmen who crawled under blankets, smoked themselves into a stupor, and then cast stones in the air and read them when they fell.
Runes, from the Gothic runa, meaning 'a secret thing, a mystery'. The Rune Masters of the Teutons and Vikings wore startling garb that made them easily
Sara
LOVED this book! It isn't a historical look at Runes but rather a medium for your egoic "self" to converse with your higher "Self" (as Blum puts it) to understand (not predict) a circumstance. If that sentence read as gibberish, then this book is not for you. But if you are looking for a very easy to digest way to explore spirituality, I found this a breath of fresh air. I had no idea about Norse mythology, runes, or using runes as a way of esoteric art- but loved the very non-occult approach Bl ...more
genevieve
Mar 07, 2007 genevieve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I keep my book of runes by my bedside. Each night, I pull one rune from the bag and read about it in the book. I would recommend it to anyone open to trying something new and potentially introspective. You'll be amazed at the connection between the rune you pulled and how it relates to your life at that moment (most importantly to those things plaguing your thoughts at the time you pulled it from the bag).

Without fail, the runes provide you with insight into your actions and thoughts, piece of
Roxie
This book gets regularly blasted in online pagan/heathen communities for being incredibly inaccurate and misleading. Blum admits that he had no idea how to use the runes originally; instead of consulting the various Eddas and other historical sources, he used the I-Ching to come up with basically his own system of rune reading. Which I suppose is fine; learning to read divination systems your own way can lead to new understanding and insight. But from what I understand from my heathen friends, n ...more
David Melbie
Dec 10, 2010 David Melbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody touches my runes but me!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself, directed by Odin. . .
My first encounter with the Viking Runes was in 1985, about two years after this book was first published. I remember feeling the power in the glyphs, the way those little ceramic tiles felt as you sifted through the bag (and yes, a Crown Royal bag is my favorite). I was hooked.

And, because of the bad etching on my rose quartz set which made it hard to use as Viking Runes, I had been promising myself a new set. I think that Micah has my original set.

So, armed with a brand new set of Viking Runes
David
Read enough about the runes and you'll be told this guy has basically invented all of this symbolism. My own studies make believe this is likely true. But if you believe in any form of divination, then you'll likely agree an internally consistent system can work without being connected to some historically accurate formula. That being said, I still found his interpretations fairly useless. But that rune set and drawstring bag is pretty swanky.
Me'urramya Cederstrom
I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I did kind of like the rune casts, because it helped me understand how you can actually use the runes. I also like the addition of The Speech of the High One and I love that illustration of Odinn hanging from Yggdrassil, but I didn't like the interpretations. I don't like how he didn't keep the original order of the runes, and I don't like the "rune play" business. Not so sure the runes were meant to be used as a game. Someone likened this book to tea-leaf readi ...more
Marna
I loved this book! I read it back in the early 80s ... in fact, I did a reading that really perplexed me when things weren't going so well with my then-husband. So I wrote Ralph a letter. He actually called me, and we had a chat about it. Ralph really added a lot of magic to the world with his book.
Jaime
Blum doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even have the Aetts in the right order. He just makes things up as he goes along.
Victoria
Fascinating. I had decided I wanted to learn a new alphabet (in addition to Hebrew and Greek) and was thinking--Russian--when runes kept coming up in various ways. Thus, The Book of Runes. I guess it's just the year of my Viking heritage. Now back to memorizing runes and learning how to use them for self-knowledge, which Blum does an excellent job of explaining.
Liza
I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT RUNES. Bits of this were mindblowing, other bits I struggled with a bit cos they were explained using Christian stuff and I've had bad experiences there, *but* just cos the way of saying it wasn't my bag didn't stop me from getting it, just had to do some reinterpreting really. I can't wait to get started with my runes.
Colleen
so much wisdom. reading it over and over; these lessons last a lifetime. i do notice he paraphrases quotes from kahlil gibran without citing and i'm guessing others --- but still, whatever, take in the wisdom. <3
Niki
I think this is a good start into my introduction to Runes and their workings. With this foundation I would certainly delve into the Old workings. But I do find this a good start.
Paola Paz
Un libro muy fácil de leer pero de analisis. Te explica la historia del autor del cómo se inició en el mundo de las runas y empieza a explicar distintas formas de "leerlas", posteriormente pasa al significado de cada runa.

El libro se puede leer rápido, pero el significado de cada runa, nunca acaba.
Lei en varios sitios de internet que no es una fuente confiable, que la información no es verídica, por lo que me hizo dudar. Recientemente me inicié en el mundo de las runas por lo que no supe saber
N
The blank rune is a joke. It was a Jewish invention of Ralph Blum. Don't bother with it. You generally get the blank rune if you buy Runes from Wicca/New Age shops. Please read the below...

May 22, 2012

For more on how bad this book is, read the 1 star reviews. Reviews of anything more than 1 star must be by people that are Wiccans/New Agers or people that have absolutely no knowledge of Runes, and reading this book an
Kiirsten
This needs a ZERO rating! What bull!
Sarah Fairbairn
Interesting - Now to have a play.
William
Feb 21, 2012 William rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Monumentally inaccurate.

A majority of the authors' definitions and interpretations of the runes is based on personal meditation and guess work with little to no historical research what so ever.

The Rune rows are incorrectly arranged. the individual runes are based in part on J.R.R. Tolkien's "Dwarf Runes" which are, for the most part, fictitious.

The ONLY beneficial side is that this book usually includes a set of clay runes.
Chad
This is simply a modern translation of how to interpret runes. It is not historical, but for those that need help with self introspection, this method might help.
April
This was interesting but a disappointment. I was hoping for a book more about the sociocultural and historical perspectives on runes and how they were used, why they fell out of favor, etc. I think I was also hoping for more anthropological analysis - where they were used, why (e.g. placement on objects, etc). It had some gems of wisdom in it but not what I was hoping for.
Janice
Daily Word from the Runes

"I no longer try to change outer things. They are simply a reflection. I change my inner perception and the outer reveals the beauty so long obscured by my own attitude. I concentrate on my inner vision and find my outer view transformed. I find myself attuned to the grandeur of life and in unison with the perfect order of the universe".
Aaron Meyer
Pretty much junk. This book came out before common folk were taking a hard historical look at the runes and the religion of the Ases had truly gotten off the ground. Everybody back in the day I am sure had bought it lol but with knowledge and better historical books that are out there now, we all can throw this on the trash heap of history and continue on.
Alana
Fairly informative and nicely written prose and poems thrown in but I am not entirely sure that some of the information within is correct, it also has a very christian view point which would differ greatly from perhaps what pagans of all types saw in the runes. Still, I have learnt a bit and the meanings seem not far off from the little I already know.
Kathy
Yeah, I've had and used this book and the pretty bag o-runes for a number of years. With intuitive helps like runes, tarot, I Ching, etc...some suit one's mind and some just don't, really. Runes, for me, are in the "doesn't quite make it for me" category. That said, Blum's rendition is easy to follow and pretty lucid.
Robert Nielson
Great on history of the runes but I am not too fond of the interpretations of the individual runes. I feel relying on only one source for your interpretation of rune castings is severely limiting, so I have used this book supplemented with other information to acquire a broader base of knowledge.
Fancee
Aug 15, 2008 Fancee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who believes in this type of thing.
Recommended to Fancee by: My mom. She gave it to me as a gift.
And thus, a pegan was born . . .

I got my first copy of this book when I was very young (5th grade maybe), and it changed everything. I don't think that it had ever occurred to me that I could plug into the universe, and be completely in the know. For me, runes were the beginning.
Evelyn
Not sure which shelves this one should go on. Research for fantasy oracular systems; some good advice. Advocating self-rule and submission to a higher will - not sure what I think about the latter yet. But providence I am willing to admit exists.
Ilana Waters
This was my first introduction to the runes, read when I was fifteen. I love the author's gentle, informative tone, and the way he personalizes how to use runes on your spiritual journey. Also love the font of the 1993 edition!
Jacqueline Cioffa
The Book of Runes never lie. Self-discovery at its highest form. You may not get the answer you were looking for, but you get the one that is necessary. Willingness and openness are highly recommended when purchasing this book.
  • A Practical Guide to the Runes: Their Uses in Divination and Magic
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • Tarot Made Easy
  • Celtic Magic
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives - Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends and Emotions Under the Moon
  • Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark
  • The Real Witches' Year: Spells, rituals and meditations for every day of the year
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • Futhark: Handbook of Rune Magic
  • Modern Sex Magick: Secrets of Erotic Spirituality
  • The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants
  • Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior
  • Parker's Astrology: The Definitive Guide to Using Astrology in Every Aspect of Your Life (New Edition)
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Celtic Women's Spirituality: Accessing the Cauldron of Life
Ralph Blum (5/1932-) is a writer and cultural anthropologist who has been working with the Runes as a tool for self-counselling since 1977.

One of three children born to silent film star, Carmel Myers, during her second marriage to husband Ralph Henriques Blum, Sr. (1893-1950) (Her first marriage was to Isidore Kornblum, which ended in divorce in 1923). Ralph Blum (Jr.), was also the nephew of Holl
More about Ralph H. Blum...
The Healing Runes - Loose Book: Tools for the Recovery of Body, Mind, Heart, & Soul The Book of Rune Cards: Sacred Play for Self-Discovery (Companion Vol to the Book of Runes) Beyond Earth: Man's Contact with UFO's The Simultaneous Man Rune Play