Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  70 reviews
With over 100,000 copies in print, Baby 411 is the country's fast-growing parenting series with legions of fans nationwide. Now, here comes the sequel: Toddler 411! From picky eaters to temper tantrums, Toddler 411 provides practical answers and advice from an award-winning pediatrician and mom who've been there, done that!
Published July 26th 2006 by Windsor Peak Press (first published 2006)

Alicia Shafer
Ok. Some stuff was helpful, other stuff was the kind of stuff that can make you crazy.
Amanda
Written in a pretty humorous way that makes it more approachable. Lots of basic information-- especially medical-- that may come in handy as my son gets older. I was a little dissatisfied with it, however, because it had almost nothing on weaning or sleep issues, which I'm particularly interested in. Seems like they assume that those things are water under the bridge once you're child reaches one. They are also proponents of a very regimented and organized life which might not work for every par...more
Liz
Great reference book. I stumbled upon it at the Library, but now want it for my own book shelf. The concluding chapters on illness and First Aid are something I would like to have at my fingertips when needed.

Many authors of mom-help books try to use humor -- and completely fail. Fields might just be the first one I've seen succeed. Her humor comes at just the right time, and it isn't forced.

If I go through the baby stage again, I'll have a copy of Baby 411 on hand. I'm sure it is just as fabul...more
Jaime Lee
Toddler 411 (much as its predecessor, Baby 411) is a great book to have on hand when you have a question about your child that you don't feel warrants a doctor call, and yet you feel you need a little bit more than your own common sense. It's straight-laced answers are very calming in the wake of some of toddlerhood's scariest scenarios for a parent (illness, etc.). The Q&A form in which it's written makes things easy to find. Once you've read it through once, you can easily revert back to p...more
Sera
Jan 26, 2011 Sera rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Barnes and Noble
This book provides a comprehensive overview of what parents can expect in the toddler years. Mostly a reference tool for quick answers, I'll likely start here, and then read more in depth from my other parenting books that delve into the various subject matter more deeply.

My favorite parts were the developmental milestones and when to take your child to the ER versus to the doctor versus the need for no medical visit at all. This approach is taken in different ways in regard to various topics,...more
chanceofbooks
I've been reading a lot of toddler books lately, and this is one of the best. I love the easy to follow format, and I love the emphasis on practical solutions that are child-centered. I really like how encompasses so many aspects of toddlerhood in one easy reference versus one book for discipline and one for nutrition etc.
Deanna
Out of the numerous books out there, I've loved the 411 series for babies and toddlers. Packed full of great information. This book is as much as primer for dealing with the toddler years as it is a reference. Well written, easy to digest, interesting and most importantly helpful.
Michelle
Nov 18, 2013 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mothers, Fathers,
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather Bodnar
Shelves: parenting
Sassy Summary: This no-nonsense reference guide aims to save its reader a trip to the doctor’s office by providing easy-to-find answers to common questions (How Often Should My Child Pee?) to advice on handling Picky Eaters. Success! The index and glossary are comprehensive. It’s funny. It’s smart. It’s reassuring. My only complaint is that the organic food recommendations gave me anxiety and made me afraid to put anything in my child’s mouth.

Quotable Writing: Follow the “Two Stop” Rule. Gettin...more
Erin
I picked up Toddler 411 because I enjoyed the authors' Baby Bargains book so much. The authors have a matter-of-fact style to parenting and I appreciate their non-judgmental approach to controversial topics. Overall, Toddler 411 was much of what I expected from them.

The book is an encyclopedia of toddler. It covers everything you could imagine: milestones, weird but normal behaviors, potty training, transitioning to a big kid bed, and a whole chapter on poop (if you have a toddler then you know...more
Misty
This is an excellent book that delves into many differet issues you may run into as a parent. The advice is helpful and informative. I think whenever you read books like this you have to be knowledgeable about your child and family, and ultimately make the best decisions for your child regardless of some peoples' opinions; however, this has great information covering everything from sickness, sleep problems, medications, and old wives tales. Some of the stories are humourous, and the book is jus...more
Angelina
It was okay. They had some good information but not as much as I wanted.
Shelley
Feel so much better now.
Kelli Oliver George

BUY THIS BOOK

Hands down, this book combined with Toddler 411 are the parenting books I would own if I could only have two. They have absolutely everything you need for your child up to about kindergarten in 2 concise volumes that are easy to read, entertaining (you'll laugh out loud) and most importantly, are conveniently organized as a reference tool. The overall tone of these two books is that of a "Hey, you'll be okay Grasshopper." one that is comforting and reassuring.
Rachel
I picked this up in the new book section at the library, and since I have a very rambunctious 17 month old, I needed some help. I had questions about illness, bodily functions, behavior problems, and eating habits. Honestly, I just wanted to makes sure the way he was acting was normal, as he is my first child and I'm still pretty new at this parenting gig. This book answered my questions and assuaged my fears. I recommend it to parents, 4 stars.
Silvia Chenault
Aug 28, 2007 Silvia Chenault rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: paranoid mommies and daddies, newbies
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great source of info. It kept me from freaking out many times. Covers just everything important and points you in the right direction for further reading if necessary. Joshua has had croupe a few times now and each time I think he is having an asthma attack. I never learn. The book has always dispelled my paranoia. It has been great for many other areas as well, nutrition, behavior, learning, games, etc...
Maggie Hall
This book was somewhat helpful and slightly humorous. But at least the second half was about scary problems or diseases your kid could develop- and seeing as the book is written by doctors, that shouldn't surprise me.
All in all, don't freak out when you read it. It does have some handy charts and cheat sheets in it (like rashes/medication/etc.) but all in all, a bit alarmist at times.
Vanessa
I'll be frank, this book is very boring. It's got loads of information but I can't retain much because you're either being overwhelmed by all the medical jargon or you're distracted by the author's attempt to present info in layman's terms and by sprinkling in lame jokes. It took me so long to finish this but I'm glad I did and can finally move on to something more interesting.

Leanna
Extremely well-organized for easy reference use, helpful non-judgey advice, and humor. After reading Baby 411, I didn't even bother to buy any other toddler books, but went straight to this - and was completely pleased. Gah, I am such a fan girl for these books!
Melia
Since I have a very active toddler, I don't have time to sit down and search through myriads of info in an attempt to find answers a specific problem. Toddler 411 has a very detailed index that allows me to find the specific topic I'm looking for as well as offering practical solutions without making me overly paranoid the way other books tend to do.
Alison
My boyfriend Logan is turning three, and has been having lots of temper tantrums lately, so I wanted to see if the experts could recommend any strategies for coping. It turns out I am already helping him the way the author suggests, guess all that child-rearing experience is coming in handy, but it was nice to know that I'm on the right track.
Sunee
The one book I turn to when I need guidance for medical issues and random toddler stuff like making the leap from crib to big kid bed. Whenever I have raised a question during a pediatric visit, it seems as though the Dr or NP's response is exactly what I have read in this book. So much better than all the other toddler advice guides out there.
Gingeraltoids
A great follow-on to Baby 411. I have read this book over and over and refer to it often. It does repeat some of the info from Baby 411 that is still relevant, but adds a lot of new info as well. It seems that every time something changes with my son or a new issue crops up, I find another relevant gem in the book.
This book is a killer! I have already laughed about things my kid is already doing. It gives me great reassurance too that even though Chance despises milk I can keep feeding him cheese, yogurt & even ice cream to counter the balance without feeling bad. Proving to be a must have on my home reference shelf!!!
Tara
helpful advice at a time when I felt I was failing as a mother. It reassured me that it is the rare toddler that doesn't throw food, eats all the nutritious food put before him, and indicates his wants/needs verbally! It would be a nice reference book, but definitely not a book to read cover to cover.
Julie Turner
I was looking for an owners manual for my 2 1/2 year old and this book does offer good practical advice. I want to read more on this topic so I am looking for other good reads. The book did have a lot of information about diseases and issues that really didn't apply but was good to learn about.
Lea
It didn't have as much on the behavior modification and parenting of a toddler as I would have liked. What I did read was interesting and informative but I need more. I read Baby 411 and there was a bunch of pediatric medical information that was repeated in this book.
Krista
we've picked this book up more times than I can count. Covers (in brief) almost every toddler issue under the sun. Love the practical, no-nonesense approach. We've kept track of most of Ariana's milestones in this & the 1st book Baby 411.
Erin
Oct 06, 2009 Erin added it Recommends it for: moms
This book has tons of useful information. I like the fact that one of the authors is from Texas. I also like how they have up to date information with websites provided for additional reference. This is one I'll keep on hand for sure!
Sherree
I'm still referencing this book frequently, but I've made it through most of the information. I don't find it quite as helpful as Baby 411, but it could be I need it less, having gained a minute amount of experience with this Mom thing.
Beth
I use this book regularly - there is so much I've already forgotten from when my first one was a toddler. Great for looking something up quickly, the organization and format are well thought out. Very practical and funny too.
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed)
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • The Toddlers Busy Book
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to stimulate your baby's mental development and help him turn his 10 predictable, great, fussy phases into magical leaps forward
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers
Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More! Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, strollers, maternity wear and much, much more! Baby and Toddler 411 Gift Set