The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting

The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Hard Back Book with laminate type covering.
Published May 1st 2006 by Parragon Publishing (first published 2006)

Shannon
While this book isn’t highly technical, it is helpful. There are some pretty cool projects in here that are worth trying out. I dislike the “cool girl” lingo. It seems to dumb down the book. Use only for the patterns.
Kayla
This is a great book and I plan on finishing my scarf and knitting some flowers to sew on it.
Emily
Needs a good accuracy check (some incorrect instructions), but good photos in the how-to portion. I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner, but not bad for intermediate crocheters or learning new skills after having a solid base. The instructions for making a hat go backward from every other hat pattern I've encountered, but it worked fine.
Jessamine
Nov 14, 2007 Jessamine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning knitters
Shelves: knitting
This was one of the first knitting books I owned and I think it has a nice range of projects for beginners.

The one thing that I find incredibly helpful with this book is its explanation of techniques. Occasionally, when I'm stumped on a knitting pattern, this book has totally bailed me out when SnB could not.
Jessica
I ttied to use this as a guide to learn how to crochet and I just couldn't figure it out. I do consider myself fairly crafty so I'd guess it would be difficult for others as well. However, I did enjoy reading the stories about the origin of crochet, etc. Very interesting.
Angela
OMG, my sister just got me this book for my birthday. Am I actually going to learn to cast off correctly instead of using my made-up version??? WTF?? I really should have read this before I started making socks and fingerless gloves, oh well.
Rebecca
Pictures are hard to follow and descriptions are difficult to understand. This is not the best book for you if you are trying to learn crochet (like me) and if you like clear, concise, detailed instructions!
R
ta da! finished my first scarf and working on second! After all, Christmas is a-coming.
Darlene
great book to start out learning about crochet. cute easy patterns too.
Annette
Fun patterns that are not too difficult. I'm still a beginner!
Carrie
This is a fun little book with some cute patterns.
Megan
Hate the cover and title but it is useful.
Bryn
Clearly, 'cool' is used loosely here.
Megan
Jul 27, 2011 Megan added it
Shelves: needle-crafts
same

Kimbra L.
How to knit duh!!
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Keziah (La Livreuse)
Keziah (La Livreuse) marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Nigel Syin
Nigel Syin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Dawn Bradt
Dawn Bradt marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Tricia Johnson-olmos
Tricia Johnson-olmos is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nicki Trench is one of the leading figures in the revival and promotion of home crafts. As well as teaching, lecturing and feature writing on knitting, crochet, sewing, cake decorating and hen keeping, she is the founder of Laughing Hens, the UK's leading online yarn store, and Rooster Yarns. Her most recent books include Creating Your Garden Farm and 201 Knitting Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Idea...more
More about Nicki Trench...
Cute & Easy Crochet: Learn to Crochet With These 35 Adorable Projects Super-cute Crochet: Make Your Own Amigurumi Family Geek Chic Crochet: 35 Retro Inspired Projects That Are Off the Hook Super Scary Crochet: 35 Gruesome Patterns to Sink Your Hook into Creating Your Backyard Farm: How to Grow Fruit and Vegetables, and Raise Chickens and Bees