Start by marking “The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know” as Want to Read:

4.47  ·  Rating Details ·  1,718 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In this perennial bestseller, Seth challenges our assumptions about the nature of reality. He explains how the conscious mind directs unconscious activity and has at its command all the powers of the inner self. Included are excellent exercises for applying these theories to any life situation.
Published May 17th 1994 by Amber-Allen Publ., New World Library (first published December 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Personal Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature of Personal Reality

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleMindfulness  by Amit RayOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayThe Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
Best New Age Books
31st out of 307 books — 200 voters
Being and Time by Martin HeideggerFear and Trembling by Søren KierkegaardKing Solomon's Ring by Konrad LorenzLetters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke
Know Thyself
25th out of 98 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
You know the old question: if you were on an island and could only have one book, which would it be? For me, THE NATURE OF PERSONAL REALITY. I've been studying all manner of faith and religion for years, and this book and the work of Jane Roberts and Seth is the cornerstone of my personal belief system.
Guy
Jan 17, 2010 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multiple-reads
This is (was?) the single most important book in my life because it came to me when I was a teenager and gave me the idea of the possibility of becoming alive. It is filled with odd sounding exercises that, when done, confirm the veracity of the 'far out' ideas presented by Seth. Once read, the ideas here changed forever and for the better, how I perceived, and how I was able to perceive, life.
Mark Fiore
Oct 08, 2012 Mark Fiore rated it it was amazing
I've burned through two copies of this book since the mid-1980's. My second copy - beat up, dog-eared, and missing it's cover - is full of highlighted sections. The earlier versions I've read didn't include the "practical techniques" stuff in the title. Because the information presented in this book was CHANNELED through Jane Roberts, I suppose a lot of people dismissed it as crap. I never had a problem with it because the concepts of how our beliefs create our reality are so thoroughly explaine ...more
Jon Mattingly
Oct 13, 2008 Jon Mattingly rated it it was amazing
One of the most important books of the century... or any other. Trust me.
Kelly Enck
Nov 25, 2014 Kelly Enck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could buy everyone on the planet one book — it would be this one! It is the "how to" create your ideal reality guide. We have the power of gods, but much of what we are contributing to has already been created. Our world is mostly—second hand—physical solid mass. A mass creation stays in place by our attention to it, rather than using our imagination to create. Seth explains all creation —springs up— from within us.

One of the tips given by Seth was to built a "mental city" orbiting outside
Brian
Jan 30, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Hard to discuss this book without being perceived as a loon. Suffice it to say that this book, along with Seth Speaks, really changed my worldview on...everything. It's a difficult read but one I highly recommend for those with an open mind and a desire to understand the true reality of physical reality. 'nuff said!
Randy
Aug 12, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
This was fundamental in my philosophical development. Whether you believe the spiritual aspects or not, there were some good fundamental practices ensconced in it's pages.
Little Miss Esoteric
Feb 16, 2015 Little Miss Esoteric rated it did not like it
Used to be a favourite, now I think it's a load of purposely confusing, channeled crap. I have nothing against Jane Roberts, I think she was sincere, but Seth is another matter altogether. Before you read this try The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts: A Riveting Investigation Into Channeling and Spirit Guides by Joe Fisher. Now that's an enlightening read.
Anji
Jan 06, 2011 Anji rated it it was amazing
Ok, I think I may have said this about another book, but if you were to read just one book, this is it! lol. I loved it. It was so rich and enlightening with so much depth on the nature of personal reality, I wouldn't even know where to start describing it. It is hard to believe that it was all written in its final draft. It was really "meaty" with lots to chew on which made it hard for me to get through. There was just so much to think about. I highly recommend it if you can handle "chewing" yo ...more
Michael
Aug 18, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book informed my thinking a lot recently, particular the chapters on creating new beliefs. I started seeing things around me through the lens of Seth’s teachings, for example, how others’ beliefs in the difficulty of something in life are actually inviting and reinforcing that difficulty’s reality, and how in other cases deficient self-worth could manifest as health trouble. I spent time doing the visioning practices to create new fundamental beliefs for myself, which seems to have worked w ...more
Ivan Voras
Dec 31, 2015 Ivan Voras rated it it was amazing
Remove the new-agey spiritual mumbo-jumbo ("Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." --Antoine de Saint-Exupery) and this is an extraordinary helpful book! It deals with several themes close to NLP ideas of managing beliefs and states, and touches even on submodalities.
Steven Walker
Nov 04, 2008 Steven Walker rated it really liked it
This is another interesting book of the Seth series which gets quite deep in describing aspects of our consciousness. It is not a light read and is in fact a book I can only read in small doses, but it is pretty incredible nonetheless. This is the type of book that you can flip to any page and find something profound.
Shane
Oct 15, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing
Reading this book sharpened my isolated view of reality to the point where I've begun to question the meaning of small objects in the periphery of daily life. Not as comprehensive as Seth Speaks, but definitely a necessary read. Buy it. Read it (pencil in hand).
Christine
Jul 29, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
I read this book twenty- five years ago and I am rereading it. It was and is a marvelous piece of writing. The author seems to move aside and let the entity Seath speak through her and the voice is clear.
Julie Haydon
May 28, 2013 Julie Haydon rated it it was amazing
This book made me think about life differently. I found it uplifting and inspiring. I couldn't read it quickly; I had to stop often to think about what I was reading and how I felt about it.
Debby
Oct 02, 2013 Debby rated it it was amazing
I've had to read this over and over again to GET it.I think it will be a book that I will have to continue to read as I mature and will get more out of it as I grow in my spirit.
Lisa
Oct 25, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
You can't come up with a better description of this book than the subtitle: "Specific, practical techniques for solving everyday problems and enriching the life you know."
Leigh
Apr 11, 2012 Leigh rated it it was amazing
This was the book that made the world make sense for me. When I was first introduced to the spiritual journey this was the first book I was given and it changed everything.
F.T.
Oct 13, 2011 F.T. rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was in my 20s, and it blew me away. It changed the way I looked at everything.
Elaine
Aug 18, 2010 Elaine rated it it was amazing
The wisdom imparted in this book is definitely a keeper ~ and not just in this lifetime.
Seneca
Oct 21, 2008 Seneca rated it it was amazing
Another great Seth book. Really good for information on the nature of reality.
Mike T
Feb 25, 2010 Mike T rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read...The exercises work!
Plr252
Jun 26, 2008 Plr252 rated it it was amazing
Techniques to create the reality I want and desire.
Damion Paul Hart
Feb 09, 2013 Damion Paul Hart rated it it was amazing
This book has been a lifelong companion.
Vixieanna
Feb 11, 2011 Vixieanna rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Seth books!
Stargazer
One of the best Seth books
Angie
Aug 23, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been on-and-off obsessed with the Seth Books for about 15 years, but this is one I own and just can't finish. Or, at least I can't read it cover to cover. It's, like, way over my head, dude. Anyway, I'll continue to do what I've been doing since I bought it 10 years ago - pick it up and take in a few pages to ponder at a time. Totally, utterly fascinating stuff.
Taylor Ellwood
Apr 30, 2015 Taylor Ellwood rated it liked it
Shelves: magic, psychology
This book is thought-provoking in terms of how the material on space/time and working with the cells of the body is presented. There are lots of ideas in this book, which can be worked with if the reader is open to exploring them. What is overtly lacking are concrete exercises to explore these ideas, but if you have some experience, you can likely derive your own. Another issue I have with the book is that at times the message is very law of attraction oriented. While its important to recognize ...more
Jordan
May 15, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it
I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the much of the content.

It is a weird book, so I'd find it hard to recommend. Although the whole premise might turn a lot of skeptics off, there's a surprising depth of insight—around our personhood being in constant transformation (a rare find in 'self-help' books, which generally focus more on a creating a defined 'self'), and around 'affirmations' being more about fully being with who and what you are in any given moment, while inquiring deep
Jennifer Lisa
Interesting information about simultaneous realities, alternate and probable selves.
Understanding Life 6 22 Nov 20, 2014 11:05PM
  • Opening to Channel: How to Connect with Your Guide
  • Edgar Cayce on Atlantis
  • Emmanuel's Book: A Manual for Living Comfortably in the Cosmos
  • Journeys Out of the Body
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • The Starseed Transmissions
  • The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships
  • Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life
  • Frequency: The Power of Personal Vibration
  • The Prophet's Way: A Guide to Living in the Now
  • The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe
  • The Disappearance of the Universe

Roberts was born in Saratoga Springs, New York. After attending public schools, she attended Skidmore College. She wrote in a variety of genres: poetry, short stories, children’s literature, and novels. When she was in her 30s, she and her husband began to record what she said were messages from a personality na
More about Jane Roberts...

“You were born into a state of grace. It is impossible for you to leave it. You will die in a state of grace whether or not special words are spoken for you, or water or oil is poured upon your head. You share this blessing with the animals and all other living things. You cannot fall out of grace, nor can it be taken from you. You can ignore it. You can hold beliefs that blind you to its existence. You will still be graced but unable to perceive you own uniqueness and integrity, and blind also to other attributes with which you are automatically gifted.” 47 likes
“The private experience that you perceive forms your world, period. But which world do you inhabit? For if you altered your private sensations of reality, then that world, seemingly the only one, would also change. You do go through transformations of beliefs all the time, and your perception of the world is different. You seem to be, no longer, the person you that you were. You are quite correct — you are not the person that you were, and your world has changed, and not just symbolically.” 21 likes