Start by marking “The Very Bloody History of Britain” as Want to Read:
The Very Bloody History of Britain

The Very Bloody History of Britain

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Warning: This book could change your ideas about history for ever!!

Do you know why the Celts got the best girls? Or who had his portrait painted after he was dead? And have you any idea who planned the first Channel Tunnel? From the dawn of civilization to the end of the Second World War, it's all here in the factually accurate and hilariously funny Very Bloody History of
Published September 1st 1994 by Bodley Head Children's Books (first published October 18th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Bloody History of Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Bloody History of Britain

Déborah
Bought this a few years back in Bath, because I'm fascinated by both everything British, and British humour. I never expected this to be handy for my revisions for my British civilisation classes. Nor that I'd go back to it so often. It's funny, it's informative, and the doodles only make for an even more hilarious book than the summary would suggest, and that's saying something.
I'd recommend this to everybody who likes British humour, laughing, history, puns.
And to all those who hate history an
Sylvia
Hilarious and great fun. A guide on a roundtrip in Great Britain used this book to tell us something about GB's history. I loved the story so much that I bought this volume and its sequel. Even now, after several years it's still funny to read, because the language is so different from the English I'm used to in English and American litterature.
Dot
Gave up on this...not funny enough...better to go back to Sellers and Yeatman who did it all so much better with 1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England
Susan
May 20, 2009 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Deryck Piper
This is the book that changed my opinion about History, like many people I had for the majority of the time been taught History at school in a very dry boring way. This book made me passionate about History and I still am now some sixteen years later.
Daniel Kukwa
Very cute and very pithy. Not exactly what you'd call an exhaustive book (or even as good as it could be), but as an amusing pocket guide to everything you need to know about the British until the end of WW2, I've seen much, MUCH worse.
I
As a collective gift from a pile of friends from the UK, i had to take this as was intended: on the bog or with drink. However, it held up elsewhere as well. A groovy little romp through the rest of history!
Mosh
It's the history of Britain over 2,500 years in 150 pages. Lots of names, dates, and places all pointing out the idea that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Courtney
This book was so great to read. I laughed out loud throughout the book. And it's historically accurate, which makes it even better.
Andy Whittle
If school history lessons were more like this, I would probably managed to stay awake in class.
Helen

Lots of fun fast facts, a great little exciting history book for all ages
Suzanne
Interesting and brief history of England. Cute illustrations.
Ben
An amusing, if silly and jingoistic refresher on British history.
Wallace
Hilarious and fascinating. Wish there were more books like this
John
Slightly interesting, slightly funny.
Julaine
Source: Alhambra Books
Nalle42
A funny book about history.
Jan
Gift from England.
Danica Colnarić
Danica Colnarić marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Nov 01, 2014
Cassie Hawkings
Cassie Hawkings marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Troy Rodgers
Troy Rodgers marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Tanja Popova
Tanja Popova marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Zero no Tsukaima (Vol. 1)
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • Suffragette: The Diary of Dollie Baxter, London, 1909-1913
  • Time After Time
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
John Farman attended Harrow Art School followed by the Royal College of Art. After completing his Masters degree he worked in the advertising industry until his departure to become a full-time writer and illustrator. He is the author of several children's books, including The Very Bloody History of Britain (without the boring bits), The Very Bloody History of London, C.R.A.P. (A Collection of Rott ...more
More about John Farman...
The Short and Bloody History of Knights, Spies, and Pirates The Very Bloody History Of Britain, 2: The Last Bit! The Short and Bloody History of Spies (Short and Bloody Histories) Jesus Teenager The Short and Bloody History of Pirates