Start by marking “The Very Bloody History of Britain” as Want to Read:
The Very Bloody History of Britain

The Very Bloody History of Britain

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Warning: This book could change your ideas about history for ever!!

Do you know why the Celts got the best girls? Or who had his portrait painted after he was dead? And have you any idea who planned the first Channel Tunnel? From the dawn of civilization to the end of the Second World War, it's all here in the factually accurate and hilariously funny Very Bloody History of
Published September 1st 1994 by Bodley Head Children's Books (first published October 18th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Bloody History of Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Bloody History of Britain

Not impressed with this book, Horrible Histories do it much much better. This book is full of poor jokes, at time mildly racist, Irish = potatoes, French = frogs and the Germans just can't be trusted, those are a few of the things I learnt from this book. Also the book was far from bloody, it felt more like a recap. I did learn a few things so it gets 2 stars for that.
Doug Luberts
Exactly what it says. Most descriptive title ever.
Bought this a few years back in Bath, because I'm fascinated by both everything British, and British humour. I never expected this to be handy for my revisions for my British civilisation classes. Nor that I'd go back to it so often. It's funny, it's informative, and the doodles only make for an even more hilarious book than the summary would suggest, and that's saying something.
I'd recommend this to everybody who likes British humour, laughing, history, puns.
And to all those who hate history an
Hilarious and great fun. A guide on a roundtrip in Great Britain used this book to tell us something about GB's history. I loved the story so much that I bought this volume and its sequel. Even now, after several years it's still funny to read, because the language is so different from the English I'm used to in English and American litterature.
Gave up on this...not funny enough...better to go back to Sellers and Yeatman who did it all so much better with 1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England
May 20, 2009 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Deryck Piper
This is the book that changed my opinion about History, like many people I had for the majority of the time been taught History at school in a very dry boring way. This book made me passionate about History and I still am now some sixteen years later.
Daniel Kukwa
Very cute and very pithy. Not exactly what you'd call an exhaustive book (or even as good as it could be), but as an amusing pocket guide to everything you need to know about the British until the end of WW2, I've seen much, MUCH worse.
As a collective gift from a pile of friends from the UK, i had to take this as was intended: on the bog or with drink. However, it held up elsewhere as well. A groovy little romp through the rest of history!
It's the history of Britain over 2,500 years in 150 pages. Lots of names, dates, and places all pointing out the idea that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
This book was so great to read. I laughed out loud throughout the book. And it's historically accurate, which makes it even better.
Andy Whittle
If school history lessons were more like this, I would probably managed to stay awake in class.

Lots of fun fast facts, a great little exciting history book for all ages
Interesting, but still prefer Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary.
Interesting and brief history of England. Cute illustrations.
An amusing, if silly and jingoistic refresher on British history.
Hilarious and fascinating. Wish there were more books like this
Slightly interesting, slightly funny.
Source: Alhambra Books
A funny book about history.
Gift from England.
saeedeh marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Vania added it
Nov 16, 2015
Menna marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Munch marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Nithin Krishna
Nithin Krishna marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
  • Angry Aztecs
  • Zero no Tsukaima 2
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • Suffragette: The Diary of Dollie Baxter, London, 1909-1913
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
John Farman attended Harrow Art School followed by the Royal College of Art. After completing his Masters degree he worked in the advertising industry until his departure to become a full-time writer and illustrator. He is the author of several children's books, including The Very Bloody History of Britain (without the boring bits), The Very Bloody History of London, C.R.A.P. (A Collection of Rott ...more
More about John Farman...