Start by marking “The Guv'nor” as Want to Read:
The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A bare - knuckle fighter turned moviestar, Lenny McLean had powerful friends and terrible enemies. In this biography, he tells stories about his life, including how he knocked out the Mafia's greatest boxer in three minutes, and how he fought to prove his innocence when accused of murder.
Paperback
Published April 14th 2003 by Blake Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Guv'nor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guv'nor

Mike Green
The most phenomenal book I have ever read ! If Lenny's life journey doesn't have you captivated from the first few pages then you're a beige bastard with no sense of excitement. This remains the quickest book I have ever read, and without a doubt the most jaw-dropping. How they never finished making a film about him remains a mystery, but then again who could pull off the great man with such conviction. READ IT !!!!
Digit
decent read but falls into the usual cliche that only bad guys got hurt. His story and the violence was very honest and worth reading in between books
Garion Bracken
If you've seen the movie Lock Stock and Two smoking barrels by Guy Richie you'll have seen the character Barry the Baptist. A big formidable character who was an enforcer for Hatchet Harry. A huge intimidating character who oozed menace with his voice, appearance and reputation. Well that character was played by Lenny McLean who was no less menacing in real life. Though according to his autobiography 'The Guvnor' he never killed anyone. He was a boxer, a 'minder' and an actor at times. He was al ...more
Library
Good and solid read , if you like hard men this is for you :)
Big Vern
If you like hardmen books then this is for you.
It's a top read.
Stephen Toth
Wonderful tribute to a tortured hard man. Loved it.
Michael
Katie
I've read a lot of 'Hardmen' autobiographies, but none seem as interesting, intelligent and kind natured as the dearly departed McLean.

This book had me right to it's sad ending and beyond, it's great that such a downtrodded individual could make a stand and a name for himself, both on the cobbles and in peoples hearts. The man is a legend and will no doubt live on in history. A fantastic book by a fantastic man. The Guv'nor is dead, long live the Guv'nor!
Borys
Well, that an interesting experience to consider the crime life from the other side, from the villain's side. And to find there logic, and, well, I'll call that integrity or something akin to it, love, and heaps of fighting spirit.
That's another question of judgement: don't be too quick to judge others, chances are you do not understand them and their lives at all.
Charlotte Laver
Considering I read a lot of Martina Cole, I love that this book contained so much of what she writes about. Some sad moments but a great one to share.
Nathan
Although Lenny Mclean lived his life earning a living from unlicensed boxing and petty criminality you can't help think that this guy was a decent bloke with lots of morals. He had a hard life losing both his parents at a young age and suffering abuse as a child, though to the touching epilogue whereby he gets diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Richard
Great book that brought Lenny to life and showed his softer side and the tough life he had, a family man with a GSOH brilliant book and ill never forget reading the last few pages where he talk about his biggest fight to date and one he would come to lose RIP Lenny
Jordan Grothe
stand up guy. great read
Stevi3

Excellent read highly recommend to anyone interested in this type of book. Lenny seemed like a sound man and one I would have liked to have known.

Check out his interviews and some fights on YouTube.
John
Interesting. Title says it all. Hard Bastard.

Dead now. Not sure he was missed too much by the thousands of blokes he smashed in the face
over his lifetime.
Jak
Typical true life crime story. McLean was a fear and violent bare nuckle boxer and mussle for hire and therefore has many interesting stories ro recount.
Tom Webster Webster
Having met Lenny a few times when I was younger I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this and was not disappointed.

Very enjoyable
Hardev Gill
' I look what I am a hard bastard ' says it all on the front cover.
Lenny was a hard bastard and this is a great autobiography.
Michal H
Fantastic book, he was a big hard bastard but a giant with a heart and cared for his family and friends. This book is great.
Nick Lebbon
Good story of the big man, enjoyable and an eye opener at times. Look at his fights on YouTube before you read the book !
Gordon
Mar 22, 2007 Gordon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graeme
He was a gentleman.... he never had to get 'is 'ead dahn at the Arches with Minty neither.
Mistress
Few books bring me to tears, this had me sobbing at parts. Wonderful book.
Che Larkin
Very good book but 'Pretty Boy', Roy Shaw's story (book) is much better.
Elviey
I loved this theres only one Guv`nor " Lenny Mclean" cover says it all
Craig Wilson
Horrible, nasty, frightening piece of trash...... Brilliant.
Boulda10
Apr 21, 2008 Boulda10 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Recommended to Boulda10 by: Hankinson
A very hard man with some brilliant stories!
Andreas

• Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of L. Ron Hubbard
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
  • You Got Nothing Coming: Notes From a Prison Fish
  • Atlas
  • Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan
  • I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H.P. Lovecraft
  • Panzram: A Journal of Murder
  • Before Watchmen: Rorschach #3 (Before Watchmen: Rorschach, #3)
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • The Franklin Cover-Up: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska
  • Poisoning the Press: Richard Nixon, Jack Anderson, and the Rise of Washington's Scandal Culture
  • Broken Markets: How High Frequency Trading and Predatory Practices on Wall Street Are Destroying Investor Confidence and Your Portfolio
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • Vaticano S.p.A.
  • Treat Your Own Neck
  • Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
  • Bringing the War Home: The Weather Underground, the Red Army Faction, and Revolutionary Violence in the Sixties and Seventies
The Guv'nor: Special Edition The Guv'nor Tapes