Start by marking “The Complete Roman Drama: All the Extant Comedies of Plautus and Terence, and the Tragedies of Seneca, in a Variety of Translations” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Roman Dra...

George E. Duckworth

Hardcover, Two Volume Set
Published 1942 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Roman Drama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Roman Drama

Bruce
Feb 17, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it
The title before the colon is a misnomer. This is really many of the plays written by Plautus, Terence, and Seneca, including a few extensive fragments, all in English. I know this not because I am some kind of scholar of Roman drama, but because the text itself references other excerpted works not included here.

I must confess that I read most, but not all of the plays in these two phone book volumes. I didn't read the Seneca, in part because I am already well-acquainted with him as cribbed by v
John
Jul 20, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I only read three plays by Plautus: Amphitryon, The Twin Menaechmi, and Pseudolus. These were the three plays that were the most highly rated and the only ones I was interested in. So I didn't read the entire two-volume set, or even close to half of it. Goodreads doesn't seem to have a way to deal with situations like this - books containing multiple individual literary works. I feel a little funny rating it as 'read' but wasn't sure what else to do.
James Violand
Jul 10, 2014 James Violand rated it liked it
Recommends it for: students of ancient Rome
Shelves: own
The Romans pale in comparison to the Greeks. Their plays are poor imitations. Their comedies are crude and predictable. Their dramas demonstrate little compassion, pathos and humanity.
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Mahmoud Refaie
Mahmoud Refaie marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Alex Kartelias
Alex Kartelias rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Narmadha
Narmadha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Biswanath Bhattacharjee
Biswanath Bhattacharjee marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Justin Erickson
Justin Erickson marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2011
Professor
Professor marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2010
Bill Tucker
Bill Tucker marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2009