Start by marking “Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents and Professionals Should Know About the Pre-Teen and Teenage Years” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Growing up isn't easy, and the trials and tribulations of being a teenager can be particularly confusing for girls with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs). This book covers all the concerns commonly faced by girls with ASDs and their parents, from periods and puberty to worries over friendships and "fitting in".
Taking a good look at these adolescent issues, and many more, w
Published January 15th 2009 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published November 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum

Chris
May 15, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
I skim-read this not as a parent, but as an adult with an ASD looking looking for better understanding. I do think this would be an excellent resource for parents - it's very well-researched and practical.
Elizabeth Desole
Feb 09, 2010 Elizabeth Desole rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who regularly deals with girls on the spectrum. It was incredibly thorough. The resource list was excellent(at the end of every chapter) and the practical suggestions were wonderful as well. I can't praise this book enough
Suzi
May 28, 2015 Suzi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: professionals and adults who deal with girls and young women with any form of autism
I received this book as a Goodreads Firstread book.

I am an adult who is neither a parent, nor a professional who deals with children. However, some medical professionals have suggested that I be evaluated to see if I have some form of high functioning autism. After reading this book, I believe that I do need to be evaluated, because many of the behaviours described in this book fit my early years. My mother had no formal training in how to deal with these behaviours, because in the 1950s and 196
Paula
Oct 29, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
This is book is a necessity for anyone who knows of, loves or in anyway has contact with emerging young women on the spectrum! Great insight, frank topics and easily accessible content make this emotionally reassuring and in some cases a guide for practical application.

Michael Brockley
Feb 21, 2014 Michael Brockley rated it really liked it
This book could serve as a serviceable blueprint for parenting a daughter with an autism spectrum disorder.
Bridgett
Sep 18, 2011 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Good explanations of situations that may come up for autistic girls and ways of handling problems.
Tigress
Mar 26, 2015 Tigress rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
This was a LONG read...more medical than anything else, in terms of who it is addressing. I understood it, but it drudged along. I guess I was looking for something more direct and not as medically in-depth as this was. I highlighted a lot, and it'll be good for referencing. However, I am wanting something that would give me more of a personal perspective of what my daughter is potentially experiencing...how to understand her better, and help her learn ways to adapt and cope with the different c ...more
Preeti0203
Awesome resource for parents (and their daughters with ASD)! Also an awesome resource for professionals working with girls with ASD.
Mar 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
If you work with any female clients, this is a MUST read for professionals.
Melody
Jul 13, 2012 Melody rated it liked it
Really helpful book, but I wished that it had delved a little deeper. Sometimes I feel authors try to hide their ideology. It does no one any good. Still, helped me to grasp what the young women with autism in my life are going through.
Stephanie
Apr 19, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Great information, but this book was depressing and quite scary. I understand the author is trying to give a realistic picture, but I had difficulty sleeping after reading this book. A good informative read, but not an enjoyable one.
Suzanne (suz&mark)
May 16, 2010 Suzanne (suz&mark) rated it liked it
A lot of this doesnt apply right now so I just sort of skimmed it. The stuff I did read was pretty depressing
Cynthia Dufresne
Cynthia Dufresne marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Chey
Chey marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Erika Varga
Erika Varga marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Arto
Arto rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Stephanny Torres
Stephanny Torres marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Jo Buckles
Jo Buckles marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Uda
Uda marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Heather Dausman
Heather Dausman marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Anna Putnam
Anna Putnam rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
ThespianBiblophile
ThespianBiblophile marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Judy Bell
Judy Bell marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa King
Lisa King marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Safety Skills for Asperger Women: How to Save a Perfectly Good Female Life
  • Aquamarine Blue 5: Personal Stories of College Students with Autism
  • Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates
  • I Think I Might Be Autistic: A Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis and Self-Discovery for Adults
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • Loud Hands: Autistic People, Speaking
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Thinking About You Thinking About Me: Philosophy and strategies to further develop perspective taking and communicative abilities for persons with Asperger ... Autism, Hyperlexia, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey into the Community and Culture of High-functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Revised edition)
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
  • Autism and Asperger Syndrome
  • Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism
  • How to Be a Sister: A Love Story with a Twist of Autism
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • The Incredible 5-point Scale: Assisting Children with ASDs in Understanding Social Interactions and Controlling Their Emotional Responses