Start by marking “Bringing Nothing to The Party: True Confessions of a New Media Whore” as Want to Read:
Bringing Nothing to The Party: True Confessions of a New Media Whore

Bringing Nothing to The Party: True Confessions of a New Media Whore

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Having covered the first dot com boom, and founded a web-to-print publishing business during the second one, Paul counts many of the leading Internet entrepreneurs amongst his closest friends. These friendships mean he doesn't just attend their product launches and press conferences and speak at their events, but also gets invited to their ultra-exclusive networking events ...more
Published 2008 by W&N

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Nothing to The Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Nothing to The Party

Simon Howard
Writing this review feels a little strange, almost like reviewing the work of a friend, despite the fact that I’ve never even met Paul Carr. Shortly after the turn of the century, his email newsletter, The Friday Thing, became the first I ever parted with cash to receive. The subscription was something like £10/year, and it was well worth it.

I remember when Carr branched out into publishing, and I bought some of their early publications, including the book of paramedic Tom Reynolds’s blog. I bou
Sonia
Whenever I need to go to a charity shop for work (yes, I work in the Charity Retail sector), I always feel that I need to buy something. This something usually takes the form of a book.

I’m so glad I picked this one up as it was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read – although part of me wished that I’d read it ages ago!

Paul Carr is a great writer, and this book is his memoir of his desire to be an entrepreneur – mastering the world of dotcom start-ups and becoming rich and famous…instead
Colleen Pence
I really enjoyed Paul Carr's Huffington Post blog series this past spring (he stayed in 33 different Las Vegas Strip hotels for 33 consecutive nights) and I wanted to read more by him. I started with his first book, Bringing Nothing to the Party (his second, Upgrade, isn't out in the U.S. yet). Brining Nothing to the Party is a memoir about his foray into trying (and failing) to become an Internet entrepreneur. A bit self-involved at times (although it IS a memoir, so that's excusable) it's a gr ...more
Derek Baldwin
Wry, self-deprecating account of Paul Carr's experiences as a dotcom 2.0 journo/entrepreneur/hanger-on/ligger(1).

Often very funny, albeit that the style seems a bit derivative and Charlie Brookeresque at times.(2) The author seems to have spent quite a lot of the time being offhandedly rude to someone and then realising later on that the someone could make a big difference to his career. How he describes these incidents is funny and entertaining, just like it is when a pub raconteur starts off
Byron
I was reading up on Paul Carr, of NSFWCORP, and I saw he wrote this book a while back. I figured one day I might have a look. Later, I read that he once gave it away for free on the Internets. I consulted the Google and was able to find a link that still worked. Bonus.

Bringing Nothing to the Party is an early memoir, focusing on his career in various mostly failed online businesses, from way TF back in the late '90s until about '08. He got his start with a sort of amateur city guide that eventua
Pirate
I downloaded the book since I enjoy following Carr on twitter and the sample was engaging enough. His writing style is classically British and terribly funny, and he takes pains to explain the people and events that influenced his story.

I was underwhelmed as the book dragged on - I only finished reading because by the time I got bored I was 60% or more of the way through. The fact that Carr's business would fail is evident from the beginning, which was part of why I grew so bored. His love inter
Alan Fricker
Nice little trip down memory lane from the days of the uk internet bubble
Marius
The writing's witty, the stories of dotcom ridiculousness amusing, but Carr's sad stories of personal dysfunction lose their sparkle after the n-th iteration. The book is worth reading if you have an interest in the behind-the-scenes trading of the entrepeneurs building and cashing in on online services. It won't make you like them much, though.
Sarah Jane
I'm trying to get through my backlog of books that people have sent me to review and then I read one and I'm like, "Oh yeah, THAT'S why I haven't gotten to this yet."

Ugh. THIS GUY. I hate him slightly less because he is British, but this book is only semi-readable and really only skim-worthy. Some bloggers should really stick to blogging.
Jason Bagley
Interesting read for startups. Paul Carr writes about his success and failure at trying his hand at building a web startup in the UK. The web industry in the UK is just as big a circle jerk like it is in SA and I guess everywhere else. Money, parties, success and failure.
Seth Freudenburg
A cautionary memoir from the dot com entrepreneur & journalist Paul Carr. The book is very very witty & heart felt, even if at points it reads like a gossip column. Carr is a difficult guy: witty but arrogant & funny but cruel. Still though, you can't help root for him.
Gus
This guy is special. It was an entertaining read about the life of one who wants to make it as an entrepreneur. It's a pretty honest peek into a life that's clearly not for everyone. While I wasn't a big fan early on, I definitely ended up rooting for him in the end.
Doug
Great fun, and a good antidote to the "heroism always succeeds" point of view implicit in books like Founders at Work and Paul Graham's essays. Felt a bit like reading Hunter S. Thompson at times--love the writing and the style, wonder if I'd like Carr in person.
Mark
This is a fantastic insight into the rise, fall, rise, shuffle, fall, rise and shuffle of the dotcom industry, written by a talented columnist/businessman who can be acerbic as well as informative. Recommended.
Steve Nixon
An excellent take from a first hand perspective on the 2k internet bubble. Well written, spares no punches. Really enjoyed this one. Looking forward to reading "The Upgrade"
Saajid
Brilliant book. Paul Carr tells his story and takes the opportunity to tell the truth about the New Media scene. I love the sarcasm.
Nic Brisbourne
Entertaining read charting the rise and fall of Paul as a London internet entrepreneur. I like it, but then I am in it....
Adeleh
Very good, pretty funny, a dandy read. A first hand view on the Internet and business, Paul Carr shares all.
Richard Johnson
Few books have made me laugh manically on the tube. It helps that I work in a London start-up.
John Dalton
Bringing Nothing To The Party: True Confessions of a New Media Whore by Paul Carr (2009)
Zabetta Camilleri
cringe cringe cringe
i cringed throughout the book - but kept reading it !?!?!!?
Isa K.
Amusing romp through the world of London entrepreneurs.
John
good fun, been to a lot of parties haven't you Paul?
Mike Shoemaker
Always fun to peek into the mind of Paul Carr.
Enrico Iglesias
easy to read. informative. funny
  • Being Digital
  • The Visual Miscellaneum: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • No B.S. Direct Marketing: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Direct Marketing for Non-Direct Marketing Businesses
  • My Name is Charles Saatchi and I am an Artoholic
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Form+Code in Design, Art, and Architecture
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones: And the Less Amazing Adventures of Some Other Real-Life Superheroes
  • Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions (Theory In Practice, #31)
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • Kill All Your Darlings: Pieces 1990-2005
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede
Paul Carr was born in the UK but currently lives in hotels around the world. In addition to books about himself, Carr writes a weekly column for Techcrunch. He has previously written for The Guardian newspaper.
More about Paul Carr...
The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations Sober Is My New Drunk The Black Palmetto The Unofficial Tourists' Guide to Second Life We'll Always Have The Flamingo: 33 Dry Nights Along The Las Vegas Strip