Start by marking “The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)

The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Who would want to kill Tomaso Rainaldi, an elderly, unassuming violin-maker in the quiet Italian city of Cremona? For his friend and fellow violin-maker Gianni Castiglione, the murder is as mysterious as it is shocking. Rainaldi had few possessions, no enemies and little money. No one - least of all the police - can fathom a motive for murdering him. All he really had was ...more
Published February 21st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published October 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainaldi Quartet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainaldi Quartet

Colin Birge
For me, this is one of the rare instances where the sequel was better than the original. The Rainaldi Quartet is the first book in a mystery series by Paul Adam, designed around the world of classical music and historic violins. Yes, obligatory murders happen, but the real interest of the book is the search for a historically important, perfectly made violin from the late 1700s.

I'd already read the book's sequel, Paganini's Ghost, and I find I prefer the sequel to the original. The Rainaldi Quar
LJ
RE-READ IN MAY 2013:

First Sentence: You expect the momentous moments in your life to provide some kind of warning.

Luther (violin-maker) Giovanni "Gianni" Castiglioni and policeman, Guastafeste, never expect one of their monthly informal string quartet gatherings to turn into a hunt for a murderer. Yet Guastafeste and Gianni find their friend Rainaldi murdered in this studio. His widow tells them he was searching for The Messiah's Sister, the twin to a perfect, unplayed, priceless violin made by
Michelle
The story begins as four men in Italy meet as they have many times before to play music as a string quartet. One is a priest, 2 make violins and one is a detective. When one of the violin makers is murdered in his shop, the detective (Antonio) seeks the aid of the other violin maker (Gianni) to help determine if anything has been stolen from his shop. They discover that the murdered man had been in search of an undiscovered Stradavarius called the "Messiah's Sister". We follow along as they inve ...more
Joyce
This is a nice book. But not a good one.

I think what irritated me is that the Italian characters didn't ring true. They didn't act Italian if that makes sense. My husband is Italian and I lived in Northern Italy for several years and the dialogue and character attitudes did not ring true. Also, the way the story ended, all neat and pat was a. not something you'd find in an Italian mystery and again, too neat and pat for my taste.

The ending was too quick and too expected. If you like really sweet
Linda
The first of two books featuring luthier Gianni Castiglione and Detective Antonio Guastafeste, The Rainaldi Quartet is part murder mystery, part historical fiction mostly set in modern day Cremona, Italy. The quartet of the title includes Gianni, Antonio, Tomaso Rainaldi and Father Arrighi who gather periodically to play for their own enjoyment. Tomaso, also a luthier, is found dead in his workshop after such a musical gathering. Gianni and Antonio soon join forces to solve the murder of their f ...more
Bethany
The Rainaldi Quartet begins with the murder of an elderly violin-maker and progresses throughout Europe as the violin-maker’s friends attempt to discover who did the deed and why. It also revolves around a valuable Stradivarius that has been missing for many years.

This is a very quick read, but fun to the end. I would recommend this for people who are interested in instruments or mysteries, and especially for those who are fascinated by both.
Norma Huss
Can I give this six stars? This historic mystery is so much more!

Gianni, the older man who tells the story, is part of the Rainaldi Quartet---four men who meet to play stringed instruments of an evening. When one member is killed, Gianni, together with the younger member, the chief of police, follow clues and hopes of clues to England and various places within Italy.

That isn't the whole of the story. There's Gianni's reactions to death, the changing vistas of Venice, and meeting a woman after
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The reader is introduced to a pleasant man in his early 60's. This man is Gianni Castiglione, a luthier (violin maker,) living in Cremona, Italy. He is a widow that loves his work and once a week, joining with three others to play quartets of the classics, such as Brahms etc.

Joining him is a Priest, a Policeman, and another Luthier, Tomaso. After an enjoyable evening, the policeman, Guastafeste and Gianni share a glass of whiskey and chat. The telephone rings...it is the wife of fellow luthier,
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Splendid mystery expressing true passions for music and a corrupt passion for the violin, objects of making music. Well rounded, fast paced and so exciting, the pages sing. Capable sleuth, remarkable mystery, wonderful Italian setting and such a good read. Felony & Mayhem's edition is a delight to read with clearly readable type, and a paperback size that fits nicely to hand. Kudos to author and publisher!

--Ashland Mystery

Shomeret
The Rinaldi Quartet by Paul Adam is a book that I suggested for the mystery F2F group that I attend, and they selected it. I was pleased because it sounded unusual. The central character who investigates the case is luthier Gianni Castiligione. Luthiers make stringed instruments.

Although the mystery aspect is about the case of the murdered luthier, Tomasso Rinaldi, it also deals with a quest for a legendary violin.

I really liked the perspective. We get to see into Gianni Castilliogne's mind. W
Megan
I was introduced to this series courtesy of this year's Malice Domestic conference. Set in quiet Cremona, Italy, the story centers around the murder of an aging luthier, Tomaso Rainaldi, and a mysterious violin known as the "Messiah's Sister" rumored to have been missing for centuries, if it even existed in the first place. Two members of Rainaldi's quartet -- a fellow aging luthier named Gianni Castiglione and a police officer name Antonio Guastafeste -- set out to determine who murdered their ...more
KiplingKat
This is a wonderful little mystery that you can read over a Saturday and it does not insult your intelligence. A look into the world of Luthiers (violn makers) and the paths of famous violins and the lives they touch with beauty and with greed. Engaging characters and plot twists that built up ot a shell game at the end. It was very entertaining.
Mike
Oct 15, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I guess that when I logged this book I did not have a chance to write anything about it. Good mystery, good writing, full of arcane and detailed information about violins. (Yes, the musical instruments not a physical manifestation of man's inhumanity to man, as Rosanna Rosanna Danna might misconstrue.)

I actually worked with a gent who was a long-removed descendant/relative of the other, if possible, even more exclusive violin maker. One of the thrills of his life was getting the chance to touch
DROPPING OUT
I found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable mystery. Adams knows his music history well, and constructing a plot around arcane facts pertaining to the craft of making violins in the 17th and 18th century is ingenious. So why four stars? The author is clearly British, so his use of British slang is understandable (for example, a messy apartment is described as a "tip," and one character says to another, "Have a go..."), but I did not "sense" the character were Italian or that he captured any sense ...more
Deb
Although I have horrid memories of violin lessons as a child, this novel set in Cremona, Italy caught my attention early. When a sixty-ish violin maker and repair artist, who also plays in a local chamber music group made up of himself, a priest, the local police chief and a fellow luthier, gets involved in unmasking the murderer of an old friend, he stumbles upon the story of a priceless, centuries old violin called "the Messiah's Sister." The police chief depends upon our hero to explain music ...more
Marcy
This is the 2nd book (though the 1st in it's series)that I've read by Paul Adam and totally enjoyed! The main character in this contemporary mystery/thriller is Gianni Castiglione, a luthier in Cremona, Italy (home to some of the best violin makers in history). One of Gianni's fellow informal quartet members is murdered and the reason seems to involve the quest for a priceless violin made by Stradivari. Gianni and his friend, a police detective want answers. I loved the Italian setting and the h ...more
Susy
The plot revolves around violins and violin music. Near Cremona four friends meet to play in a string quartet: two luthiers, a priest and the youngest, a police office. Rainaldi, one of the luthiers, is murdered and Gianni, the other, helps the policeman in finding the culprit. In looking for clues they discover in Venice a rich collector of valuable violins who is murdered also. We get to know a lot of things about violins and the famous luthiers in Cremona: Stradivari, Amati, and Guarneri. The ...more
Judi Moore
If you enjoy classical music, play a violin (or any of its relatives), respect beautiful things made by hand, or love an historical mystery you will enjoy this 'history and mystery'. I learned much about the world's famous old violins while I was being entertained with a beautifully paced quest for one of them.

I know only too well how hard it is to convey music and musical instruments in words (I review regularly for a local music club); Paul Adam does it as well as it can be done. The only way
Suzanne
Fascinating glimpse into the world of violin making and violin collecting. Wonderfully atmospheric, with intriguing and unusual characters and detailed, evocative descriptions of the various settings. I can't say that I came away with a love of violins, but I begin to understand their appeal to others. In terms of the mystery, it was obvious from the moment he was introduced who the villain in the piece would be. The real mystery was the location -- or even existence -- of the violin. Frankly, I ...more
Mary
I read this after reading the second in the series. It was wonderful! It fills in the backstory I was missing from the second book; more about the relationship between the luthier and his policeman friend, and how Gianni met his lady friend. Again, much about the history of the violin woven into a wonderful mystery (actually a mystery within a mystery-there is a search for a violin and a search for a murderer at the same time). Very satisfying! I look forward to more of these.
Blaire
A competently written mystery with an interesting side angle. The history of violins, particularly those made in the 18th century by the luthiers of Cremona, provides the context for the mystery. A miscellaneous note: Scene changes take place regularly without any chapter break or even any additional spacing on the page, even though the book does have chapters. The effect is jarring. I put this down to the publisher of my edition, Felony & Mayhem, rather than to the author.
Carla
As a young woman, every week I would check out books going straight down the library shelves starting with "A". I've decided to do that again, and this was the first on the mystery shelf. I'm glad I did. The book really piqued my interest in violin making.Two of my criteria for a good read are - 1) was the story interesting and well-written and 2) did it create a curiosity and motivate interest outside the story line. This book worked for me.
Brace1737
Worthwhile mystery set in Northern Italy and England. You will learn a lot about violins
Michael
Really a treat. A very fine novel, particularly if you are interested in Violins and Classical Music. Some truly superb historical material.
Denice
This is, by far, one of the best mystery books I have ever read. If you have an appreciation for fine music, classical music and/or the violin, you will LOVE this book. Mr. Adams' description of a certain violin playing very nearly had me in tears, his description was so beautiful. It is a great, 'where-did-it-go' mystery, full of misdirection and intrigue. If you enjoyed the movie, The Red Violin, you will enjoy this book.
Greer Andjanetta
An aptly named book. Picked up off a library side shelf, unknown (to me) author, this book turned out to be a delightful murder mystery involving luthiers (violin makers) A softly told story with interesting characters. Whenever one can learn something from a book, as is the case here, in addition to enjoying a pleasant read, the experience is doubly worthwhile. This book should certainly be read by anyone who plays the violin.
chris
read this one first, then paganini's ghost. they take place in cremona, italy, home of stradivari & guarneri. the protagonist is a local luthier who ends up helping out the police solve murders, which revolve around a strad & a gueneri. lots of history. i had to google earth cremona. it looks lovely. there's lots of music too, which i searched on youtube. it's like i just took a virtual vacation!
Marita
If you love classical music, you too may be charmed by this novel about rare violins. It is a novel about music, musical instruments and the love of music. In addition there is mystery, murder, friendship and a hint of possible romance. It is not difficult to spot who is villain or hero in this book - no surprises there - but the story is nevertheless entertaining.
Carolyn Crocker
A double mystery in which the intrigue associated with the possession of fine violins and their creators is twinned with the murder of Gianni's fellow violinist, luthier and friend. This launches Castiglione as a sleuth. The atmosphere, food, and culture of music-loving Italy, some remarkable characters, and a hint of romance lend texture to the whodunits.
Susan
Feb 12, 2012 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: italy
This was a very interesting glimpse into the world of violin-making, and the collecting of rare violins. The Italian settings in Cremona and Venice were also a good backdrop to the plot. The characters were, perhaps, not as true-to-life as some of the other Italian mysteries, I've been reading, but it was still a quite enjoyable novel of the world of music.
  • Double Negative
  • Interrupted Aria (Tito Amato, #1)
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • King and Joker
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • The Headhunter's Daughter: A Mystery
  • The Ground Is Burning
  • The Bookwoman's Last Fling (Cliff Janeway, #5)
  • Carnevale
  • Classical Music for Dummies
  • Danse Macabre: A Daniel Jacobus Mystery
  • Le perfezioni provvisorie
  • River of Shadows
  • The Empty Mirror
  • April Blood: Florence and the Plot Against the Medici
  • The Life of Cesare Borgia
  • Prayer of the Dragon (Inspector Shan, #5)
Librarian's Note: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads database.

Paul Adam has written eleven critically-acclaimed thrillers for adults. His books have sold widely around the world and have been translated into several foreign languages.

He is also the author of the Max Cassidy Series of thrillers for children.

Paul Adam has also written television and film scripts. He lives in
More about Paul Adam...

Castiglione and Guastafeste (2 books)
  • Paganini's Ghost (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #2)
Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1) Paganini's Ghost (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #2) Jaws of Death (Max Cassidy, #2) The Unholy Trinity Oracle Lake