The Cockroach Papers: A Compendium of History and Lore

The Cockroach Papers: A Compendium of History and Lore

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
What has six legs, skulks around late at night, and likes to sniff out the hidden crevices, the dank corners, and the dark recesses? The cockroach, of course. The cockroach is a bug of great design. Most of its contemporaries from the Carboniferous period -- around 300 million B.C. -- are extinct, but cockroaches live on reproducing inside our walls and traveling the world...more
Published November 27th 1999 by Basic Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

Tim Martin
Hold on, I know what you are thinking. Tim, you read a book on roaches. Cockroaches (as if we need to say that to avoid any confusion). For fun. And liked it.

I did! It is a good book! Very well written and yes, tells you more about cockroaches than you ever hoped, dreamed, or dared to know. Since I assume you are still reading this review, here a few tidbits:
- Of the about 5000 species of cockroach worldwide, only about 100 are associated with mankind.
- The ancienbt Romans called them lucifuga...more
Hol
Apr 18, 2009 Hol added it
This was so fascinating I could not put it down. Actually, I put it down only to go make dinner--and naturally had a false roach sighting, an oblong lint ball near the laundry rack--then quickly finished it. The book includes memoir, science, history, and culture, all loosely braided together by the theme of cockroaches. I especially liked learning about the American cockroach in Southern African-American folklore, where it was a Trickster figure (the bug arrived on slave ships and is slyly adap...more
Inc
Sep 10, 2007 Inc rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: most people.
I'm not sure where my copy of this is right now, but I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to buy another just in case. So what else should I say, that's recommendation enough, right?

Ok, it's all about cockroaches so maybe I'm biased. Still, you have to live with them...wouldn't you like to know why? Or what they are? Or how they work?

If you ever saw a white cockroach I think you should read this book.
dejah_thoris
A light read on a serious subject that touches on all the major aspects of cockroaches with famous quotes thrown in. Anatomy, behavior, and extermination are all well covered as are the roach's place in art and society. Personal anecdotes from the author make what could be a dry text highly enjoyable though I still don't recommend reading while eating, especially the part about roaches harboring in ears. *shudder*
Nyna
Everything you could ever want to know about cockroaches. And they are repulsive but fascinating. Most amazing is their biological systems.
Elocin
Elocin marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
TASHA
TASHA marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
Gwern
Gwern marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Powerispower
Powerispower marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2012
Colin Tate
Colin Tate marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2012
Elle
Elle added it
Sep 22, 2011
Manuela M
Manuela M marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2011
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2011
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2011
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
May 02, 2011
Consider The Eel: A Natural And Gastronomic History Hot Peppers: The Story of Cajuns and Capsicum Eel Che's Chevrolet, Fidel's Oldsmobile: On the Road in Cuba Barcelona: Jews, Transvestites, and an Olympic Season