Start by marking “Prey (Institut Scientifique, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prey (Institut Scientifique, #2)

Prey (Institut Scientifique #2)

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Evil Stalks the city that never sleeps...

Vivian Roussel prefers to keep a low profile—she is, after all, a werecat, descendant of an ancient demigoddess, and highly regarded in Manhattan’s nightworld. But when she’s robbed of a priceless icon, she has only one recourse for protection.

Surveillance expert and werecat Pavel Federov never gets personal with his clients.But h
Published September 2nd 2008 by Signet (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prey

Rhianon
No, I didn't finish reading it -- and have no such intentions. I got a couple pages into the first chapter, and the quality of writing was so low I wanted to gag. There are plenty of moderately-to-well-written shapeshifter stories out there, that one doesn't need to waste precious time reading "B-movie" crap like this.

I mean, seriously? Behold, the very first instance of shifting, on page 3:
"With that, both men disappeared, and in their places stood two dark cats the size of panthers, lifting th
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

My, my, my. How to describe “Prey” by Melina Morel? It’s NOT a romance, although there certainly is a smidge of animalistic, scratching, biting sex (well, it’s about shapeshifters!) included. It’s NOT just a mystery. It’s not just urban fantasy. It’s NOT horror. It’s a very interesting mix of all the above. But I would have to say is more of an urban fantasy suspense mystery. How’s that for a new category?

She’s the closest thing to royalty in her
Diana
I don't think I've ever read such dreck in my life. The writing was so bad it was laughable, so I guess it's my bad for actually finishing this.

If you like to read a story by an author that has good command of the english language and tells a story with a witty turn of phrase...this book is not for you.
Barbara ★
Vivian and Marc's business is under attack presumably by the Russians. They hire Pavel's security firm to protect them from further attacks. I liked Vivian and Pavel but they had little passion so the sex scenes felt flat and sexless. Oh they had sex but you had to use your imagination for most of it. If I wanted to use my imagination, I wouldn't have spent $7 for the book.

Pavel ahs the Russians under surveillance (both audio and video) but at a critical point, the security team doesn't hear or
Sandy M
Well, this doesn’t happen to me very often. A book that starts out fine, sounds and feels like it’s going to be good. A book that starts to fall apart in Chapter 2. A book that I just can’t pick up again to finish it. That’s happened to me maybe three or four times in the thirty-five or so years I’ve been reading. That’s how much I like books. And how much I didn’t like this one.

I actually told a friend that I had started this book and I was liking it so far. That was the first chapter. After th
Wendy
Vivian and Marc Roussel are two siblings who import Russian artifacts for their store. And they're also werecats. After a trip to Russia that garnered new artifacts, their merchandise place gets broken into, yet nothing seems to have been stolen. They decide to hire Pavel Federov's security company, Federov's a surveillance expert and also a Russian Blue werecat. Shortly after, there's a kidnapping attempt on both Marc and Vivian. Neither of them knows why someone broke into their storage, or tr ...more
Deanna
You know how the Lord of the Rings Trilogy has lots and lots of boring walking and scenery? Well I love those books because they also have a lot of awesomeness mixed in there...wonderful characters, amazing mythology, etc.

Well, this book has lots of going from place to place, lots of phone calls, lots of planning...and nothing emotionally arresting or even mildly interesting in between. Event the fight scenes are kind of matter-of-fact. The villains aren't even that threatening.

This was shelve
Jane Doe
This story started out very well and interesting, but about 1/3 of the way in it got very slow and the mystery lagged. There is not much romance, a little sex but more PG or like in the older movies they start kissing and then moves to the window, in this case to the next chapter.
World building was interesting but again just didn't go anywhere for me.
So first part of the book solid 4stars but the rest just got boring.

It can be read alone even though it is the second book in this series. I wil
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
I enjoyed Prey. The relationship of Viv and Pavel was good, but again, it was more of a gradual, off the scenes, chemistry and we're not really given a lot of the details. We get the sly glances and the knowledge that these two are going to hook up, but it kind of just happens. I don't really know if I can pinpoint the exact moment where they are together because they just seemed to be. It was good though. The plots were well meshed together and they were definitely interesting enough to keep my ...more
Gay
Good storyline. There were a lot of typos but was pretty well written. The ending left a few things out, such as the leader for Vivian's clan. What was the reaction in Russia to all that happened. There were a lot of details up to that point. Then nothing to spesk of. Overall a good read though.
rebecca j
If this is on your TBR pile, you may want to give it a miss - it is tedious and bland- not at all up to my standards in reading material! I kept hoping it would improve, but it just didn't.
Ryan Snyder
tiffany finally returned this. geez i lent it to her like 2 years ago. lol. :P i havent read it in a few years so i may re read it one of these days.
Kelly
A follow on from Devour. You would do well to read Devour before starting on Prey, though they both stand alone. Still a great read!
Mickey Flagg
I loved the concept of were-cats. Strong characters and a solid story line in this paranormal.
Diann
Nov 03, 2008 Diann added it
I'm going to have to find her first book. got this oe at a book sale.
Kelly
One of the dumbest premises ever with poor execution. Boring.
Ann
Did not finish. Not at all my cup of tea.
D
D marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Glenda
Glenda marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Oct 05, 2014
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Dark Nights, Dark Dreams (Sisterhood of the Sight, #1)
  • Damned (Witch Hunt #3)
  • Grave Sins (Cin Craven, #2)
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Witch in the House
  • Hunting the Hunter (The Hunters, #8)
  • Sea Lord (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • The Demon's Librarian
  • Dragon Storm (Dragon Knights, #6)
  • Last of the Ravens
  • Blood Kin (Blood Lines, #3)
  • Running with the Pack
  • Sex And The Single Witch
  • Dark Truth (Warriors for the Light #2)
  • Highland Knight
  • Shadows in the Starlight (Changeling #2)
  • Zombie Moon
  • Ruthless Russian, Lost Innocence (Harlequin Presents, #2920)
Melina is from New Jersey and spent many years teaching before publishing her first paranormal novel, DEVOUR. She always loved history and enjoys reading it, especially relating to the world’s great empires. She’s a big fan of the History Channel and has always adored costume dramas. Her love of history also led to an appreciation of art and fashion, and in fact, she put this to good use when she ...more
More about Melina Morel...
Devour (Institut Scientifique, #1) Smolder (Institut Scientifique, #3)