Start by marking “Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More” as Want to Read:
Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More

Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More

The Marabou Mule. The Chanel toe. Jackie O's pump. Marilyn's stiletto. And lotus shoes and fetish shoes, shoes made for coronations and inaugurations, Cinderella's slipper, shoes of tulle, brocade, rhinestone, python, fish scales, and feathers, and much, much, more, including the two-foot-high wooden chopines of the 16th century and their resurgence as the platform shoes o ...more
Published January 12th 1996 by Workman Publishing Company

Stephanie
Jan 10, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The perfect picture book for leafing through if you want to combine drooling over gorgeous shoes with gaping at bizaare (and beautifully illustrated) historical tidbits (like the 16th-century Venetian "chopines", with platforms up to 30 inches high, which required a servant on each side to steady their wearer)!
Shari
Dec 24, 2012 Shari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not really into shoes. If they are presentable and sensible then they are fine by me. But coming across this fascinating encyclopedia of shoes while browsing at a library, I realized, once again, how the small things we take for granted can collectively say a lot about us as a species. This book gives a bird's eye view of how shoes have been quiet keepers of our history. It is one long parade of wonderful photos of shoes from different eras: from Persia to Egypt, Renaissance to 18th century ...more
Marloes Baren
When you're a shoe lover and would like something light with lots of pictures to browse through, the concept of this fun, colourful little book is perfect.
But even though it contains quite a bit of information on some of the most influential designers and historical background to designs, it may feel like it's lacking a bit in that regard. That said, providing a detailed historical overview is not the goal of this book.

As often with fashion-related subjects, some of the descriptions seem a bit '
Jade
Aug 11, 2012 Jade rated it really liked it
Shelves: fashion
This tiny encyclopaedia of 507 pages stays true to its title, and reads indeed very much like a celebration of shoes. It contains tons of different types of shoes, all beautifully photographed, and also includes some background on each shoe, including its designer and time period. Though very complete in this, the book does seem to focus most on high-heeled shoes, which somewhat narrows its scope.

Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More contains nine chapters, all focusing in
JulieLaLa
Aug 22, 2012 JulieLaLa rated it it was amazing
How can any sane woman not love "Shoes"? It's brimming with beautiful photographs of exquisite (and exquisitely torturous) shoes, lovely historical facts, and SHOES!!! Read it once, to look at the shoes. Read it twice to learn the history of shoes/shoe-making. Read it a third time and pretend it's a catalogue and choose the shoes you would love to own and wear! Sigh... shoes.
Pam
Jan 17, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun and interesting book for shoe lovers! People tend to give me a funny look at first when I mention how fascinated I am with the history of shoes. But I tell you, they are secretly interested too! I find myself sharing some of these little tidbits about shoes during everyday conversations =)
Bj Travis Thomas
Sep 09, 2016 Bj Travis Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
not an extreme amount of reading but I loved this book because it was a real lesson in the history of shoes. I was amazed by how much the styling comes back arou d in later generations with just a little variance. It hit nicely on the designers too.

I love shoes a LOT and liked this book a LOT too!
Helena
Tämä oli mielenkiintoinen katseluteos sellaisellekin ihmiselle, joka ei julistaudu erityiseksi kenkäfriikiksi. Kuvien ohella toki paljon tietoutta kenkien historiasta ja kenkäsuunnittelijoista. Opinpa tästä senkin, että tällä hetkellä muodissa olevat Converset on alun perin suunniteltu jo vuonna 1919.
Deb
Oct 22, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
This is a little stocking-stuffer book I got last Christmas. It truly is a fascinating look at the history of shoes. The pictures alone are worth getting this book. I'm no fashionista and I know I can't wear most of the featured footwear, but it was still an enjoyable read.
Cortney
Apr 27, 2010 Cortney rated it really liked it
I read this over the weekend and if your a shoe lover like me this is a cute book with fun facts and history about shoes. I also liked how it covered biographies on some of the famous designers!! Interesting book and fun to look at pictures!
Libbi Toscano
Nov 19, 2007 Libbi Toscano rated it it was amazing
This is a book for a shoe fanatic ... and I am one. It proves that shoes have been an addiction throughout the ages and I've nothing to be ashamed of. A true art form celebrated by this collectable book. I also own it in French.
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The pictures of shoes were exquisite. It was fascinating to see how similar shoes are today to shoes from a hundred years ago or more. Many of the older shoes pictured are ones I would wear.
Corvinus Maximilus
Sep 14, 2010 Corvinus Maximilus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coffee-table
Lovely book, beautiful pictures of shoes all through the ages. Interesting facts about shoe makers, shoe history. One stop shop on all interesting and beautiful things we love about shoes.
Mary
Sep 13, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: done-reading
Not a bad little book! It's a quick read, but it's packed full of information about shoes that even I found interesting - and I'm not really into shoes, :-).
Lori
Nov 23, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lori by: Rob
Holy Moly what a fabulous little book.. jam packed with amazing photos. Excellent reference as well.
Sherri
Jun 22, 2010 Sherri rated it liked it
Shelves: coffee-table
Tiny book that packs a punch. Wonderful photography and neat snippets on the history of shoes.
Irina
Jun 07, 2014 Irina rated it it was amazing
Reading is a strong word. Instant, bitesize if calorie-free, comfort snacking.
Claudette
Jun 29, 2013 Claudette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
It was an interesting book to see how shoes have changed throughout the ages.
Janice I
Janice I rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Jordan
Jordan added it
Sep 11, 2016
Luamy
Luamy marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Otome
Otome marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
❀angela
❀angela marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Ana Grau
Ana Grau marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Holly Quinn
Holly Quinn rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Mae McDonnell
Mae McDonnell rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
  • Spraycan Art
  • Passionate Journey
  • Bauhaus
  • The Quilts of Gee's Bend: Masterpieces from a Lost Place
  • The Dada Painters and Poets: An Anthology (Paperbacks in Art History)
  • Come Over, Come Over
  • The Story of Modern Art
  • Duchamp
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret & Extraordinary Lives
  • Bomb the Suburbs: Graffiti, Race, Freight-Hopping and the Search for Hip Hop's Moral Center
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • Art of Dress
  • 20th Century Fashion: 100 Years of Style by Decade and Designer, in Association with Vogue.