Start by marking “Disraeli” as Want to Read:
Disraeli

Disraeli

Benjamin Disraeli, perhaps the best known & certainly the most colorful of Queen Victoria's Prime Ministers, has long merited a full-scale biography. This is it, the 1st since the official & monumental study by Monypenny & Buckle which appeared deecades ago. Blake deals with Disraeli's political style & above all with the legend that he was moved by a consi ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Disraeli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disraeli

Mackenzie
Jan 28, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Blake is not too much in love with his subject, as David Cecil was with Melbourne; not too nasty/snarky, either, as Lytton Strachey was with Queen Victoria. Robert Blake's book is spectacular read, the kind of book that left me as interested in the author as in the subject.
Mark
Mar 27, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few prime ministers in British history have been as memorable as Benjamin Disraeli. The son of a prominent literary scholar, he enjoyed success as a novelist before turning to a career in politics, Though elected to the House of Commons at a relatively late age, the split in the Conservative Party over the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846 (a split resulting in part from Disraeli’s active campaigning against the measure) catapulted him to the front rank of the party. After several brief periods in ...more
Andrew Davis
Oct 30, 2015 Andrew Davis rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best biographies ever written. The awesome scale of Lord Blake's work, as well as the meticulous research that informs it, is nothing short of intimidating. I finished this book with the feeling that I will probably never accomplish anything as...thorough (or maybe the word I'm looking for is "rigorous" or "significant") as Blake's Disraeli. It wasn't a sad feeling, although I was disappointed the ride was over.

Lord Blake approaches his subject with an impartial fasci
Steven Critelli
Feb 01, 2013 Steven Critelli rated it it was amazing
If you want to understand how great prose is written, read Robert Blake.
Richard Thomas
The seminal biography of Disraeli. I read it on publication in parallel with Moneypenny and Buckle as part of my first degree work on politics in the Age of Gladstone and I was most impressed then by Blake's scholarship and judgement of an exotic figure in British political life in the 19th century. I don't think it has been supplanted by any subsequent biographies which need to be read in conjunction with Blake's book.
Hock Tjoa
Feb 14, 2011 Hock Tjoa rated it really liked it
Robert Blake's biography of the brilliant Conservative prime minister (several times, in competition with Gladstone) has remained the best one (hefty) volume of that master politician. Before the U.S. had Reagan or FDR, the U.K. had Disraeli. One can learn a great deal about Victorian politics and also about writing from this marvelous book.
Roy
Jul 25, 2011 Roy added it
I bought this book around 1970 and never hsd thr time to read it but now that i am retired and only working as a casual I have read it . It is a heavy book to hold up when you have OA in your C. Spine but I did it . Did you know that it weights 3 lbs ? I may put it up for sale if the price is right .
William
Oct 17, 2008 William rated it really liked it
Primarily a political biography. Sets out to answer the question "Was Disraeli just a chancer?", but never comes to a firm conclusion.
Bill
Oct 31, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Brilliant but personally troubled man very interesting and pivotal in English history
Wgrissom
Dec 01, 2008 Wgrissom rated it really liked it
I remember reading this in high school, and really enjoying it.
WeiChien Kuo
WeiChien Kuo rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Ray Massey
Ray Massey is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
King' Ori
King' Ori marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Michael Howe
Michael Howe marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Shashikanth Bhat
Shashikanth Bhat marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Greg Hannam
Greg Hannam marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Penny Kettlewell
Penny Kettlewell marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Josiah
Josiah is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Kibera Kelvin
Kibera Kelvin is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Jack Graham
Jack Graham rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Mark Adkins
Mark Adkins marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Derrick
Derrick is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Vincent Lombardo
Vincent Lombardo marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Sofia
Sofia added it
Aug 14, 2016
Ben
Ben added it
Aug 13, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Conor Sheehan
Conor Sheehan marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Aneece
Aneece marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Enlightened Ghost
Enlightened Ghost marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
  • Wellington, Volume I: The Years of the Sword
  • The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery
  • The Unbound Prometheus: Technological Change and Industrial Development in Western Europe from 1750 to the Present
  • A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822
  • The Age of Napoleon
  • The Lion and the Unicorn: Gladstone vs. Disraeli
  • Edward I
  • Bismarck and the German Empire
  • Commando: A Boer Journal Of The Boer War
  • The Queen's Conjurer: The Science and Magic of Dr. John Dee, Advisor to Queen Elizabeth I
  • Tecumseh: A Life
  • The Franco-Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-1871
  • Cromwell
Robert Norman William Blake, Baron Blake was an English historian. He is best known for his 1966 biography of Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield, and for The Conservative Party from Peel to Churchill, which grew out of his 1968 Ford lectures. He was created a life peer as Baron Blake, of Braydeston in the County of Norfolk.
More about Robert Blake...