Start by marking “P. S. I Love You (Sweet Dreams, #1)” as Want to Read:
P. S. I Love You (Sweet Dreams, #1)

P. S. I Love You (Sweet Dreams #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,163 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
Published January 1st 1981 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about P. S. I Love You, please sign up.

Andrea I'm not sure if this is the same book I had read in high school five years ago because the book had no cover. I just want to ask if this is the one…moreI'm not sure if this is the same book I had read in high school five years ago because the book had no cover. I just want to ask if this is the one where they went to a cave? I've been looking for that Sweet Dreams book but I can't seem to find it. (less)

Izlinda
May 25, 2008 Izlinda rated it it was amazing
I read this book more than a decade ago. It belonged to my cousin and I would raid her bookshelf ever time I went to her house.

I've read several Sweet Dreams series book, but this is the only one whose title I remember. It's a tear-jerker, and even though at 9 years old I was too young to know about boyfriends and girlfriends and those types of relationships, I could still empathize with Mariah's pain.

I wish I had a copy of this book. It's very memorable.
Naomi
Jul 27, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when, I think, I was 14 (that was a very long time ago!)and I still remember it clearly.

I have seen alot of debating going on lately re: fiction targeted towards our young teen women and graphicness and such, that I almost feel that our female authors who write to this demographic go for shock factor rather than a simple,sweet romance, which teach these young women about how to be treated by their significant others. This book is clean, no sex, no foul language, etc. It is a boo
Kay
Nov 01, 2013 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the first romance novels I ever read. I found it at my local library when I was 10 years old which started my love for all things romance. As a 10 year old girl, this book moved me and I remember crying a lot for the characters. I decided to order a used copy from Amazon because I was curious to see how I'd feel about it as an adult.

Well, I finished it quickly and it was quite nostalgic to read it. The writing is simple and not as earth shattering as I remembered it as a 10 y
Erlyn Trinidad
Feb 11, 2009 Erlyn Trinidad rated it liked it
I remember reading this book back when I was still in high school. This is the book that launched Sweet Dreams booming success and enabled Sweet Dreams to capture a larger market share (in the Philippines at that time) compared to Mills and Boons.

If my memory serves me right the book is all about a young girl who went to stay in Palm Springs over the summer and fell in love with Paul Strobe (?). The PS I love you is a sticker that she got which stands for Palm Springs I Love you but the guy gave
Sarai
Feb 24, 2010 Sarai rated it really liked it
Synopsis (taken from http://sweetdreamsseries.com):
When her father left after the divorce, Mariah lost her sense of family. Now she's lost her special summer, too. Instead of fulfilling her dream to become a writer, Mariah has to help her mother with a house-sitting job in very rich, very snobby Palm Springs. People with a lot of money make Mariah uncomfortable. Until she meets Paul Strobe, the rich boy next door. Paul's not a snob and he doesn't act superior. In fact, his sandy sandy hair and p
Corrine
May 07, 2012 Corrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will never forget this book. I was a freshman in high school (i think), when i read this book. #1 book for the SweetDreams collection. I had to hide from my mom so I can cry while reading. Ugh, I can still recall how heartbroken I felt when I was done reading .. a definitely good read for teens!
Diana
Jun 04, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have kept this book since I was 14 years old and still sometimes reread it. :) I have the sequel as well: Falling In Love Again.
Lisa Johnson
Jun 03, 2014 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost 20 years ago and I still remember it! I got it from the library van during the summer holidays. It was my first all nighter aswell as my first teenage romance novel! Although Amy's head is filled with enough romantic, fairy tale nonsense, I will def be passing this one on to her! Ohhh and it made me cry....Paul Strobe, I still love you......
CëRïSë
I read this book for the first time when I was about 11. I won it in the library's summer reading program; I was always winning things that summer. It took me a while to read it, because I didn't think the girl on the cover was very pretty--AND it had been published in 1981, which seemed very old to me. That's how I judged books in 1991: their covers and their publication dates.

Anyway, at the time, I loved it; I remember thinking it was very well-written. I thought about it again when my parents
Ays
Apr 09, 2012 Ays rated it really liked it
The first book i read that made me cry! In the very late 80's,i was about to go into my teenage years,and i realized then that this whole relationship thing wasn't always a fairy tale.i was so passionate about this book that i told my classmates to read it,they all cried too.
Twinkle Toes  (Hannah Elise)
Oct 02, 2014 Twinkle Toes (Hannah Elise) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a sweet, dreamy, romance novel ;)
Recommended to Twinkle Toes by: Aunt and Mum, lol
Firstly I am thanking my aunt who a while ago gave me boxes full of these Sweet Dreams Novels that her and my mum use to read as teenagers. I think, wait no I know I loved this book! It was such a sweet read. It was funny, insightful, joyful and sad. The end of the book was inevitable and although I saw it coming from a mile away I still cried. So all in all it was a great read and I've already started reading the second book in the Sweet Dreams Series and considering I have up to about book #21 ...more
Alys Marchand
May 15, 2013 Alys Marchand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book isn't what wold be considered high literature, as other reviews here back up, for its target audience - the teen crowd - it is quite the book. Not many books for this age group deal with the fear of death on top of the fear of losing all else. I recall crying, truly crying, at the end. I learned, thanks to this book, to cherish the time I have with my friends because you never know when they can be taken away. Sadly this is a lesson I've had to put to use more than once.

For today
Rebecca McNutt
May 24, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it liked it
It's not as bad as it sounds, though incredibly melodramatic and corny at times. It also brings in more mature themes than just teen crushes and fleeting summer romances, so it has some originality, though not much.
colorwalk
Apr 29, 2011 colorwalk rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgia
One of the early Sweet Dreams books I read and probably the first "sad" book I remember reading. The story is vastly different from most others I read in those years, in that it felt much more real and wasn't all "happily ever after" like the majority of teen books back then (or even now). In that sense, it was probably one of the romance books that impacted me as a young teen - or perhaps I should say pre-teen as I think I read it back in 5th or 6th grade (took it from my older sister's shelf). ...more
Sandy
May 06, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was around 13, perhaps slightly younger and I still remember it now nearly 30 years later. It was a teen romance but not a happily-ever-after and that shocked me. I remember wondering how they were going to turn it around so they had a happy ending, and then they didn't!

I cannot say how well written it was, as the details are too hazy, but for it to last in my mind for all these years (and the minds of many others if you look at the reviews) it must have been pretty good!
Michelle Johnson
Jan 24, 2014 Michelle Johnson rated it it was amazing
This is the only teen romance book that I remember the title of from way back when. I also remember the heartache, and the very real tears I shed for these characters. I even remembered Paul Strobe's name.

And so I am not rating this as an adult who went back and read a book that she loved from her youth, but rather as the child whose heart was shredded by this book, who still remembers it and always will.
Emily Bauman
Jun 24, 2009 Emily Bauman rated it really liked it
I read this book so long ago, but I remember it was the first book to ever make me cry. And it really is what got me hooked on reading and realizing how words could bring you into an amazing different world and could stir up so many emotions.
Jeananna
Nov 09, 2010 Jeananna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book as a teenager. It spoke to me at the time in a way most books did not! I have recently purchased it again and look forward to sitting down and reading it again.
Jeda Emperado
Aug 06, 2014 Jeda Emperado rated it it was amazing
I read this book more than 10years ago. Whenever i hear this phrase 'p.s i love you' I would always associate it with Paul Strobe. Such a wonderful story.
Samantha
Feb 10, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it
Man was this a tear-jerker for me when I was under the age of 10 ... I'd like to read it again at 30 and see how much my opinion would change (or not).
Junno
Aug 10, 2011 Junno added it
Loved it! The very first book that made me cry. I read it a long time ago, probably 18 or 19 yrs ago? Wow!!!... Paul Strobe I love you.
Andrea
Jul 28, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens or anyone who still read teen romances
I read this book back in the 80's and how funny that I found it listed here when I was just telling my husband about it earlier. It's been so long since I've read it that I can't give a detailed review, but I do remember reading it more than once. It's a very sweet love story that centers around a girl meeting a boy while in Palm Springs. All of these "Sweet Dreams" romances are wonderful and some have stuck with me more than others. This is one I still remember more than 30 years later. I highl ...more
Jacqui Calaranan
May 04, 2015 Jacqui Calaranan rated it it was amazing
It was summer vacation when I was in senior high school that I read this book. Teary- eyed on this one when Paul Strobe passed away, he is a boy next door type of guy, a rich kid but their richness could not cure his illness. When they went to Palm Spring, a certain tourist spot I think, Paul gave her a sticker PS I Love You, but this sticker as well gave Mariah a new meaning, it wasn't Palm Spring rather Paul Strobe I love you.

As far as I remember, around 20 times that I have read this book. My
Suzana Thompson
Jul 18, 2015 Suzana Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found a copy of this beloved book from my youth at a used book store years ago, but I have yet to get around to reading it again. So I'm writing this review based on my reaction to it when I first read it as a teen. I remember crying my eyes out, and so did all the other girls who read it.

It was one of those books that got passed around from friend to friend until everybody had read it. All of us had very emotional responses to it. I don't remember much of what happened in the book, but the e
EJ
Aug 13, 2015 EJ added it
This is one of the first books that i had read ever and got me hooked up to the Sweet Dreams collection. I was in 5th grade when i started and that's when i realized i love reading. Even when i ran out of Sweet Dreams books to borrow from my cousin, i would turn to my Reading books in school or even History books just to have something to read. I would borrow my brother's books from their school because they have so much better stories in theirs than ours. That's the time i labeled myself a book ...more
Kim
Apr 29, 2015 Kim added it
Updated review: I re-read this book some 30+ years after I bought it. My copy is worn from reading it so often back in the day that it's barely held together. The cover is taped together, but it's no longer connected to the book binding.

Anyway, my taste in books and writing styles have obviously changed in the last three decades. The writing style was a tad simplistic for me now, but it's totally appropriate for a teenage romance. I cried at the end - as always. Maybe not quite as much as I use
Francesca Mariazeta
Mar 16, 2014 Francesca Mariazeta rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in high school and I've been in love with this book since then. I had a copy and was able to read it only once but I won't forget how the story made me cry. I gave my copy to my first bf to share it with him but he never read it and much worst he lost it. I've been trying to get another copy but I can't find it anywhere.
Lydia
Jun 18, 2014 Lydia rated it liked it
Since I last read this book as an impressionable tween who wasn't yet so cynical about life or fiction, for that matter, I can't speak critically to its quality. I can only say that I remember where I was and how this book made me feel; that is, I sobbed my eyes out when I finished this book. A little over a decade later, I struggle to find books that make me feel that much, so I can say that this book accomplishes something.
Carol Westcamp
Jul 06, 2014 Carol Westcamp rated it really liked it
I read this romance long ago and still today I remember the book. It was one of the first romances to have an impact on me. I remember crying at the end of the novel, I was so connected to the characters. It was/is a great romance for a teen.
Jotam Magraccia
Aug 03, 2014 Jotam Magraccia rated it it was amazing
the author used simple but soulful words of love, young romance, the key that unlocked my understanding about California, Florida, Palm Springs and getting through the culture of Americans. astig ng love story na to. :))
Changing in your life 1 1 Nov 12, 2015 01:31PM
  • The Popularity Plan (Sweet Dreams, #2)
  • Love Match (Sweet Dreams, #10)
  • Little Sister (Sweet Dreams, #5)
  • Laurie's Song (Sweet Dreams, #3)
  • Kiss Me, Creep (Sweet Dreams, #63)
  • Night of the Prom (Sweet Dreams, #12)
  • Wrong-Way Romance (Sweet Dreams, #176)
  • All's Fair in Love (Sweet Dreams, #21)
  • The Wakefields of Sweet Valley (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #1)
  • Sooner or Later
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Veronica (Sunfire, #18)
  • The Grounding of Group 6

Sweet Dreams (1 - 10 of 233 books)
  • The Popularity Plan (Sweet Dreams, #2)
  • Laurie's Song (Sweet Dreams, #3)
  • Princess Amy (Sweet Dreams,#4)
  • Little Sister (Sweet Dreams, #5)
  • California Girl (Sweet Dreams, #6)
  • Green Eyes (Sweet Dreams, #7)
  • The Thoroughbred (Sweet Dreams, #8)
  • Cover Girl (Sweet Dreams, #9)
  • Love Match (Sweet Dreams, #10)
  • The Problem with Love (Sweet Dreams, #11)

“When I fall in love, it will be for always. Nothing will change that. No one will walk out. We will stay together forever, and when death finally separates us we will have the memories that we shared. He will be that kind of person. I will know him instantly when I finally meet him. And he will love me forever.” 14 likes
“Mom, why couldn't my story, my real life story have a happy ending - like in the books?"

"No true love story has a happy ending; one always must die and leave the other. So there's never a totally happy ending.”
4 likes