Start by marking “Winter Story” as Want to Read:
Winter Story

Winter Story (Brambly Hedge)

It was the middle of winter and very, very cold. The mice of Brambly Hedge forecasted snow. And they were right. In the morning they awoke to find their doors and windows hidden behind deep drifts. There hadn't been snow like this for years.

"There's enough for a Snow Ball!" cried the mice with glee, and they set to work in the time-honoured way to make an Ice Hall for the
Published October 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Story

Shala Howell
Nov 18, 2011 Shala Howell rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
For the story, think Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit stories with mice and without the sometimes surprising lapses into violence that forcibly remind you that Potter wrote in a different cultural context. In Potter's world, Mr. MacGregor has a distressing habit of stalking through the pages taking potshots at the cast with his shotgun. That sort of thing doesn't happen in the Brambly Hedge.

So a charming story, but it was the illustrations with their incredibly rich detail that won my heart. Small
Logan
More fun than the Autumn story, where a little mouse gets lost and is scared. In this story, snow comes and the mice decide to have a Snow Ball. They carve out a beautiful hall of ice and snow under a drift and party till dawn. As always, lovely and detailed illustrations. Really, they're more of a draw than the story. I must say I thought the brothers in this story were pretty irritating. They do nothing but harrass their sisters and get in trouble. I do get tired of reading my son such negativ ...more
Christian McKay
Aug 28, 2011 Christian McKay rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
The title is very misleading. There's actually no story here. Unless you count 'Once upon a time it was winter and bunch of mice ate some winter-themed food and danced in the snow until they were tired. The end.' I thought the funniest part was the dust jacket, which proclaimed that Miss Barklem did five years of natural research before she began writing the Brambly Hedge series. What did she learn? That mice prefer acorn coffee? The art is beautiful though.
Faith Hough
I want my kitchen to be a full-size version of the mouse kitchen. Would my house look so charming if I hung laundry to dry above the stove? I should look into this. :)
Karen
May 03, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie, mom
This book was ok but we prefer the writings of Beatrix Potter...krb 5/9/16
Sandra
E acaba assim uma pequena delícia de livros :(

Tão lindos e perfeitinhos
Douglas Cootey
Jan 20, 2017 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Brambly Hedge stories that I've ever read. In truth, there is not much of a story here. It's very old fashioned, even for the 80s when it was first published. However, even the old fashioned stories had plot and conflict. This book was very short on conflict. There are mice. There was snow. The mice became very excited about the snow. They prepared for a ball. The boys were naughty. They held the ball. Everyone danced until they were tired. The end.

That all being said, t
Christabelle
Jan 10, 2017 Christabelle rated it it was amazing
I had no idea how much I'd like this cute little mouse tale. I love the charming world of little creatures and how they respond to an abnormal winter snow. They seem to have so much fun preparing for the cold-weather season and the two little mice are such cute, naughty things! It makes me want to peel back another story to spy on these little ones once again.
Min
Jul 01, 2014 Min rated it it was amazing
The wonder of Winter bringing with it heavy snow and the coming together of the community for the Snow Ball! A time for music, dancing, food and laughter. The lush feast, always a delightful feature of the Brambly Hedge set, to celebrate the season. The illustrations, as ever, giving a glimpse into the lives of the creatures that populate this wood. We are now able to see the lights lit inside from the small windows within the trees. More clearly, the kitchen bounties are seen with drying fruit, ...more
Kate
Dec 24, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
How did I miss the Brambly Hedge series?!!! Just finished Winter Story. Beautiful prose, gorgeous illustrations. A classic children's book.

"Is that you, dear?" called Mrs. Apple as he let himself in through the front door. Delicious smells wafted down from the kitchen. Mrs. Apple had spent the afternoon baking pies, cakes and puddings for the cold days to come. She drew two armchairs up to the fire and brought in their supper on a tray."

I've heard this book is difficult to purchase due to limit
Annie
Aug 27, 2008 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I think I read these when I was a kid and reading them again took me back. The series has one for each season (Summer Story, Spring Story, etc.) The pictures of the little mice living in a tree stump are so charming they make me wish I could visit them. These are a must for my kids' shelves!
Tracy
Jan 14, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
My children are desperate for snow this winter! At least we can enjoy some lovely illustrations and transport ourselves to Brambly Hedge...
Rebecca
May 28, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Has anyone ever read anything of Jill Barklem's? Once again, I have her name written down, but I don't remember why.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Πανεμορφη ιστοριούλα και ακόμη ωραιότερη εικονογράφηση.

Στα ελληνικά από τον Καστανιώτη το 1997.
Karen
Oct 13, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
This is such a lovely, lovely book with lovely, lovely illustrations --BUT don't look for a story, Winter or otherwise.

Vatha
Vatha rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Sus
Sus rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Holly Irving
Holly Irving rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Angélique
Angélique rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
Anna Redding
Anna Redding rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Maquoketa
Maquoketa rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
'Stacey
'Stacey rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Heeky
Heeky rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Eleni
Eleni rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Piggins
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
72033
After an accident when she was thirteen, Jill was unable to take part in PE or games at school and instead developed her talent for drawing and art. On leaving school, she studied illustration at St Martin's in London. Jill is now a full-time illustrator, working on the expanding series of books about the mice of Brambly Hedge. She spent five years on research before she started to write her first ...more
More about Jill Barklem...

Brambly Hedge (8 books)