Winter Story

Winter Story (Brambly Hedge)

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It was the middle of winter and very, very cold. The mice of Brambly Hedge forecasted snow. And they were right. In the morning they awoke to find their doors and windows hidden behind deep drifts. There hadn't been snow like this for years.

"There's enough for a Snow Ball!" cried the mice with glee, and they set to work in the time-honoured way to make an Ice Hall for the...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Story

Shala Howell
For the story, think Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit stories with mice and without the sometimes surprising lapses into violence that forcibly remind you that Potter wrote in a different cultural context. In Potter's world, Mr. MacGregor has a distressing habit of stalking through the pages taking potshots at the cast with his shotgun. That sort of thing doesn't happen in the Brambly Hedge.

So a charming story, but it was the illustrations with their incredibly rich detail that won my heart. Small...more
Sandra
E acaba assim uma pequena delícia de livros :(

Tão lindos e perfeitinhos
Logan
More fun than the Autumn story, where a little mouse gets lost and is scared. In this story, snow comes and the mice decide to have a Snow Ball. They carve out a beautiful hall of ice and snow under a drift and party till dawn. As always, lovely and detailed illustrations. Really, they're more of a draw than the story. I must say I thought the brothers in this story were pretty irritating. They do nothing but harrass their sisters and get in trouble. I do get tired of reading my son such negativ...more
Shivering William
The title is very misleading. There's actually no story here. Unless you count 'Once upon a time it was winter and bunch of mice ate some winter-themed food and danced in the snow until they were tired. The end.' I thought the funniest part was the dust jacket, which proclaimed that Miss Barklem did five years of natural research before she began writing the Brambly Hedge series. What did she learn? That mice prefer acorn coffee? The art is beautiful though.
Cheryl in CC NV
Really? So sexist, and old-fashioned but not historically relevant. I don't understand the appeal. If one has good eyesight and likes the cozy look of the illustrations I suppose it's not a horrible book, but it's certainly not necessary.
Min
The wonder of Winter bringing with it heavy snow and the coming together of the community for the Snow Ball! A time for music, dancing, food and laughter. The lush feast, always a delightful feature of the Brambly Hedge set, to celebrate the season. The illustrations, as ever, giving a glimpse into the lives of the creatures that populate this wood. We are now able to see the lights lit inside from the small windows within the trees. More clearly, the kitchen bounties are seen with drying fruit,...more
Annie
I think I read these when I was a kid and reading them again took me back. The series has one for each season (Summer Story, Spring Story, etc.) The pictures of the little mice living in a tree stump are so charming they make me wish I could visit them. These are a must for my kids' shelves!
Tracy
My children are desperate for snow this winter! At least we can enjoy some lovely illustrations and transport ourselves to Brambly Hedge...
Becky
May 28, 2010 Becky marked it as to-read
Has anyone ever read anything of Jill Barklem's? Once again, I have her name written down, but I don't remember why.
Feodora
A nice "refreshing" Story on a summer evening. I admire the picture as well as the sory itself
Kathryn
A wonderful little book.
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 05, 2014
Ayashe
Ayashe marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Priscila
Priscila marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Tomten and the Fox
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • Ooh-la-la: Max in Love
  • Old Bear
  • The Icky Bug Alphabet Book
72033
After an accident when she was thirteen, Jill was unable to take part in PE or games at school and instead developed her talent for drawing and art. On leaving school, she studied illustration at St Martin's in London. Jill is now a full-time illustrator, working on the expanding series of books about the mice of Brambly Hedge. She spent five years on research before she started to write her first...more
More about Jill Barklem...
Spring Story Autumn Story The Complete Brambly Hedge The Secret Staircase Summer Story