Start by marking “The Complete Brambly Hedge” as Want to Read:
The Complete Brambly Hedge

The Complete Brambly Hedge

4.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Brambly Hedge is my ideal world. The way the mice live is completely natural, which is how I think life ought to be. They appreciate and use everything that grows around them. Theirs is a loving, caring society, but the mice are not just serious and worthy. They have FUN!
The much-loved Brambly Hedge mice first made their entrance in 1980 when four seasonal stories were p
Published November 1st 2004 by Picture Lions (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Brambly Hedge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Brambly Hedge

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Books That Consumed My Childhood
32nd out of 216 books — 26 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
295th out of 381 books — 407 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Okay folks, it's story time.

When I was a kid I used to live in Northern California in this super small town where there really wasn't much to do besides go to the movies and go to the library (or in the summer there was the swimming pool). With these options available to me I guess I'm not really surprised that I have an extreme love for books now. Our library was pretty small but they had quite a large children's section where looking back, I thi
Ruby
Feb 22, 2011 Ruby rated it it was amazing
There is a wonderful community of mice that live in a hedgerow called Brambly Hedge. Here life is peaceful and busy. They spend the spring and summer months collecting nuts, berries, and various fruits and flora for deliciously homemade jams and baked goods. Everything is kept in the Store Stump, an enormous tree stump that has many rooms for everything a mouse might need.

A love of cooking goes hand in hand with the many fun feasts, picnics, and festivals that go on in Brambly Hedge. From birthd
Shala Howell
Nov 18, 2011 Shala Howell rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I learned about these books through Snapdragons, a blog about the domestic adventures of a new mom. The author of the blog had grown up reading these stories and was very excited about the prospect of sharing them with her own child. I'd never heard of them, but as I'm always on the look out for new books to read with The Four-Year-Old, I spent a week or two hunting them down.

Sadly, the books appear to be a UK phenomenon, which means it's hard to find copies of them in the U.S. When I consulted
Joseph II
Dec 29, 2014 Joseph II rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
There are many tragedies in the world of children's literature - one of the most ironic is the failing eyesight of Ms. Jill Barklem. The illustrated intricacies within the World of Brambly Hedge will show (no pun intended) what the world should be mourning. From the tree internals in "The Secret Staircase," to the images of a mouse picking treasured moss in "The High Hills," and the adventuresome images of "Sea Story," the rich tapestry of story is reinforced by the attention to detail within th ...more
Lucinda
Oct 25, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it
Enchanting children’s stories that will live on forever in your heart, in a one-volume seasonal edition.

As a child I read many of Jill Barklem’s stories and also listened to the tales from Brambly hedge on a casette tape, (an older version of the modern CD audio book). I was mesmirised by all the beautiful animals that had so much fun and many exciting adventures, within these captivating stories that delighted me for so many hours. The tales are based around a community of self-sufficient mice
Apr 01, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I recently discovered this book at our local bookstore, and as soon as I saw the illustrations, which are detailed and charming, I knew I had to share it with my daughter. It's a very happy set of delightfully British stories, with complete charming descriptions and details. It's a perfect read aloud--both of my kids listened intently to these stories for most of an afternoon. Just lovely--I wish I had discovered this book sooner!
Hannah DisneyMermaid
Jan 20, 2016 Hannah DisneyMermaid rated it it was amazing
This book will always have a special place in my heart I was bought this book as a child for one of my Christmas presents and I still have it to this day. The pictures and illustration are just beautiful and the stories warm your heart. I would recommenced anyone to read/show this to there children
So much love for this book <3
Helen Elgin
Feb 28, 2014 Helen Elgin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book as a kid. Can't remember how many times I read it. My favourite was always the cross section illustration of the big house as they prepared for the ball and the secret staircase.
F.j.commelin
Nov 09, 2014 F.j.commelin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love these little stories because the illustrations are so beautiful and there is such a lot to see.
Every season i read the appropiete story and enjoy the illustrations.
Scorch
Mar 23, 2014 Scorch rated it it was amazing
This is just adorable, a must-read for anyone who adores the thought of animal kingdoms at the bottom of their garden.
Ma'ncon
Nov 28, 2015 Ma'ncon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Ich wünschte, alle Kinderbücher wären so hübsch illustriert ... Absolut großartig. :)
Samantha Bond
Aug 01, 2014 Samantha Bond rated it it was amazing
Jill Barklem has such amazing attention to detail - I wish I were that detailed in my illustrations! Her stories are endearing and her characters charming. A great book for all ages!
Kristina
Jun 08, 2010 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sigrid
I am fascinated with children's books that have wonderful illustrations. I am so tired of the flat illustrations in modern, especially American, mass-marketed books and films for children. When I see a children's book illustrated by a true artist, I simply can't resist it. This book has stunning illustrations with incredible detail. It will take many many readings just to enjoy all the little details in each picture. I love the community of little mice living mostly just like people, and the qua ...more
Kathryn
Aug 21, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
So I was snooping around my local waterstones yesterday and I saw this gem. I had the stop motion movies of these stories on video when I was younger and I just loved them! (They are now on youtube which is great!) The stories of little mice living in trees and just how they live together as this big and kind extended family is lovely.

The artwork is lovely and detailed and remind me of the kind of nature paintings you're grandmother would have hanging on the wall. Such cute little mice.
Fran
Jul 06, 2013 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my niece's birthday present, but I'm going to get myself a copy too. I have the seasonal stories in little hardbacks, but I'd never read the other four before. I simply adore Jill Barklem's artwork. It's stunning. I can spend many happy minutes studying the drawings, my favourite ones are the cross sections. It's amazing work and really benefits from being in a nice, large, hardback.

The stories are sweet and charming. The whole thing is a delight from front to back cover.
Simon
Mar 28, 2014 Simon rated it it was amazing
This book is pure whimsy. The pictures are beautiful. For what it is, it is delightful.
Molly Westerman
This is just a gorgeous book. The illustrations are intricate. They create a pleasingly tiny world in a way that reminds me of the visual richness of the film The Secret World of Arrietty. So, my six-year-old loves poring over them.

The words and stories, too, are excellent. Sweet little explorations, utterly nonthreatening, simple, and lovely for bedtime reading.
SwissMaedel
Apr 08, 2013 SwissMaedel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I've been reading this book to my 7, 4, & 2yods. They love it, and I do too. I have a thing for beautiful picture books, and this is a treasure. It is a collection of short stories, all involving the same characters. They are little mice that live in nature. The pictures and stories will turn any rainy day story time into an enchanted memory for you and your children.
Aase Marit
Nov 07, 2010 Aase Marit rated it it was amazing
So many good childhood memories from my mother reading these stories to me. I also remember that it was one of the first books I read all by myself, which for me opened the world to the mice in Brambly Hedge even further. The illustrations in the books are magnificent, and I could sit and stare at them for hours just to soak up every detail! I bet I still can!
Christine
Well, it isn't entirely true that I'm reading the Complete Brambly Hedge, but I did order (and have since received) almost the complete set of books (I'm missing Poppy's Babies, which I will get eventually). I have had lots of admiring the illustrations and am reading the little books now and then when I've got time.
Manu
May 11, 2009 Manu rated it it was amazing
I blame "summer story" for my anglophile attitude. I was 5, my mum was obliged (by yours truly here) to read it over and over...25 years later I discovered there was MORE than one story...there are 8 in total!!!! I could not believe my luck. it's the most precious book on my shelf!
Diane Strait
Look for the entire Brambley Hedge series at your local library. These small sized picture books about the mice of Brambley Hedge are a treasure for readers and listeners alike. These stories will remind you of the delightful Beatrix Potter stories.
Elizabeth
Dec 11, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Still my old time favorite children's books. I love all the Brambly Hedge stories, particularly The Secret Staircase. On cold winter evenings I can't help but pick up my copy and read it in front of the fire, remembering happy childhood reading time with mum.
Margaret
Dec 27, 2014 Margaret marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelweiss Catalog
On Sale: March 3rd, 2015

Informational post scheduled. Hopefully will update with review if I receive a review copy. Definitely on my wishlist. Scheduled link: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Rachel
Apr 12, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Sweet, idealic little stories with beautifully detailed illustrations--reminiscent of the Peter Rabbit nostalgia, but without any of the danger or violent repercussions. A pretty book that has my little girls entranced.
Liz
Jun 10, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Excellent stories. Great for expanding imagination and the illustrations are just as wonderful as the story. Even as an adult I like to stare at the pictures. Similar to the enchantment of Beatrix Potter books. :)
Samira
Aug 24, 2014 Samira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a dear, sweet little collection of stories about a village of mice. Very cute, but a bit short. I want the stories to be a bit longer and more in depth. Still, it was fun to read.
Christina
Jan 11, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing
Received this one for Christmas. Delightful little adventures, detailed illustrations; especially love the cutaways of all the mouse dwellings in tree stumps, sand dunes, and hillsides.
Jess
Growing up, I borrowed this from the library so many times it became my absolute favourite. Definitely something to treasure and reread over and over!!! :D
Cecily Williams
So sweet and imaginative. I love every detail in each intricate illustration. Worth buying online since it's so hard to find in stores.
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • The Adventures of Milly-Molly-Mandy
  • Flower Fairies of the Winter
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Clown
  • The Tomten
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • The Gigantic Turnip
  • Nature Anatomy
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • I'm a Manatee
72033
After an accident when she was thirteen, Jill was unable to take part in PE or games at school and instead developed her talent for drawing and art. On leaving school, she studied illustration at St Martin's in London. Jill is now a full-time illustrator, working on the expanding series of books about the mice of Brambly Hedge. She spent five years on research before she started to write her first ...more
More about Jill Barklem...