Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  902 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This volume is the authoritative presentation of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Linehan's comprehensive, integrated approach to treating individuals with borderline personality disorder. DBT--which has since been adapted for other difficult-to-treat disorders involving emotion dysregulation--combines cognitive and behavioral strategies with elements of psychodynamic,...more
Published May 14th 1993 by The Guilford Press (first published January 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

Wendy Reiersen
This book is not an easy read, but is well worth the effort. Dr. Linehan understands people with Borderline Personality Disorder, and how they got that way. If more of us understood emotional invalidation, and knew how to validate our children, ourselves, and each other, most mental illnesses as we know them would not exist.
stephanie
this is a little bit of a misleading title, as this is THE book that founded DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy).

dbt was initially created for BPD clients, but happily, it's being spread to different populations.

it is a cognitive treatment, but it's more behaviorally based than on cognition. it's a blend of western and eastern thought, and i think it's the most successful therapy on the market for addictive behaviors (from self-injury to gambling to eating disorders) and even depression and a
Lily Pilly
Marsha Linehan's theory is very helpful when working with people who are self-harming, has a vey low tolerance to distress and struggle to maintain healthier relationships...I guess, I am more comfortable with ACT model for various reasons but saying that I still felt the need to study the DBT model too, as I find myself working more and more with people who have BPD as their main diagnosis.
Julie
Sep 17, 2011 Julie is currently reading it
Just started reading this book. However, it's interesting to note that Dr. Marsha Linehan developed this style of therapy because she herself suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder. (BPD)

Her style of therapy is both Cognitive and Dialectical. ( CBT and DBT) DBT is based on a model suggesting that both the cause and the maintenance of BPD is rooted in biological disorder combined with environmental disorder.

The fundamental biological disorder is in the emotion regulation system and may be...more
Angela
Apr 15, 2010 Angela added it
How can I begin to describe the importance of this book
and it's workbook of the same title?
It's nothing less than revolutionary.

Clearly Dr. Linehan is making a life of the seminal Buddhist prayer
"May all sentient beings be freed from suffering"

And this is the key to the cage.

"I've been where you're hanging
I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy
your loneliness says that you've sinned"

Blessings to St. Marsha, Sister of Mercy,
She can bring you back from hell, thro...more
Julia
This book was fine, and DBT is obviously an enourmously effective therapy. I just wish that Linehan had put "manual" somewhere in the title, so I wouldn't have held out hope for so long that it would suddenly turn more fascinating than instructive (I probably unfairly judge fascination level by amount of clinical examples). She does, however, excel at writing clearly and without jargon.
Marilee
I just ordered this from Amazon. I'm hoping it will give me some insite on a person I know who I'm convinced has borderline personality disorder. This book was recommended to my by a professional psychologist.
Matthew Leroy
It almost took me ten months to finish this book. It is fairly dry and tedious, although the points that Linehan makes are excellent. Throughout the book you can feel the empathy and compassion she has for some of the most troubled people in the world. I think she does a nice job of taking some dry behavioral research (operant conditioning, classical conditioning) and explaining how to apply it to humans.

Throughout the book, you get the sense that DBT in itself is really a synthesis between the...more
Devon
More than just a book about treating Borderline Personality Disorder, this is the book about Dialectical-Behavioural Treatment (DBT). I didn’t realize that when I started to read, but it wasn’t an unpleasant surprise by any means.

This is an academic text and is heavy, ponderous, and dry in many places. I’m not a stranger to texts like these, and so was not bothered by it, though it did make for slower going. Other readers might find it hard to get through because of this alone. The second half...more
Melanie
I read this book and the manual of the same title because I enrolled in the comprehensive DBT program through UNR with Dr. Alan Fruzzetti. The text in this title is dry and probably only a good read for other professionals, unless you enjoy theory and repetitive information. Folks trying to help themselves or someone they know may prefer the workbook format. DBT is a highly specialized treatment and to be done properly it must be done with the help of a qualified therapist. DBT uses a series of...more
Angela Dawn
Mar 11, 2008 Angela Dawn added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has experienced psychological suffering of any kind
Recommended to Angela Dawn by: The Universe
Shelves: psychology, yoga, law
How can I begin to describe the importance of this book
and it's workbook of the same title?
It's nothing less than revolutionary.

Clearly Dr. Linehan is making a life of the buddhist prayer
"May all sentient beings be freed from suffering"

And this is the key to the cage.

"I've been where you're hanging
I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy
your loneliness says that you've sinned"

Blessings to St. Marsha, Sister of Mercy,
She can bring you back from hell, through purgatory,
and...more
Ianto
Fantastic guide, but now I really want more!
Was an intense introduction to DBT skills training, though I wish it was either more accessible OR more thorough.
Jason
Pretty much the manual for doing DBT
Gloria
Jul 12, 2008 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn more
A good opening guide to using DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) in therapy. While it was created for use with patients with BPD, it can be used a number of populations and some of the skills are good for everyone's lives. I'm not a huge fan of Marsha Linehan because of her insistence of complete adherence with no substitutions and no flexibility. But that has little to do with the book. You won't be an instant DBT expert after reading this, because I feel you will only gain expertise with exp...more
Jonathan Ridenour
May 12, 2007 Jonathan Ridenour rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mental health professionals
Shelves: psychology
This has become a classic on BPD. The dialectical piece of this model is not a behavioral strategy. It is an attempt to move someone from a psychotic level (black/white thinking) of functioning to a neurotic level (holding things in tension, seeing other ways of knowing). Also the acceptance part of this model is very helpful for seeing anxiety/tension as a postive in growth. I also like the idea of the "wise mind" which is actually trying to get in touch with the superego, in dynamic terms.
Alex
I wish there were a book this authoritative aimed at patients/clients. As it is, the first third of this text will be hugely helpful to BPD sufferers, or at least it has been to this one. Note: this is an academic text and as such may be daunting to those without that type of reading experience. Still, she does a good job explaining terminologies, etc., and it's clear she subscribes to the BS-free school of writing style.
Debmcnish
Victim-blaming, boot-strapping, hyper-Protestant moralizing. Avoid.
Duncan
Mar 16, 2008 Duncan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Korina
I'm still reading this book, but it's clearly the landmark book for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder clients. And for good reason: it addresses the symptoms of these extremely tormented people in a therapeutic modality that has a better chance of making changes than other methods. Just add compassion, stir, and pour consistently into a therapeutic container with firm boundaries.
Lisa
Marsha M. Linehan is simply the best on this topic. She makes understanding the complexities and often torturous experiences of what individuals who suffer from this disoder easy to grasp (despite the seriousness of the issue). I found this book incredibly interesting and useful. Another keeper!
Johna Grim
Marsha Linehan has articulated a very extraordinary mental disorder and the ways to overcome it in this ground breaking book. If one is unable to find trained mental health professionals for this particular problem, this book will help guide the untrained practitioner.
Brandon
Linehan's text became a "must have" very quickly in this area and I think her contributions are very importrant. While many books in the field focus on "WHY did this disorder develop" ... Linehan takes us closer to "HOW does change happen."
Julie Hersh
Great information, but the book was longer than need be, often repeating information. Much of what is contained in this book would be valuable not only to Borderline Personality Disorder, but any type of psychological disorder.
Carrie
This book was difficult to understand. I only got part way through the second chapter until I couldn't take it anymore. My eyes kept glazing over and my mind was wandering because the author rambles in textbook speak.
Erika
Excellent book for skills on BPD. Probably the most useful book I have encountered in my work setting.
Taysha Diaz
very good read for those either suffering from borderline, and for those interested in studying the illness.
Angela Williams
Awesome therapeutic tool especially when dealing with patients with BPD and chemical dependency.
Terri
This is my textbook, and always present guide! What a brilliant woman....
Hannah Levy
Marsha Linehan is awesome. That's all I have I say.
Lucy Clower
Another life changer. Everyone should read this book.
Nancy Serling
Excellent treatment model for skill based learning methods
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
  • On Being a Therapist (Jossey Bass Social and Behavioral Science Series)
  • Why People Die by Suicide
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating
  • Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence
  • Freud And Beyond: A History Of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought
Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder: The Dialectical Approach Treating Borderline Personality Disorder: The Dialectical Approach This One Moment: Skills for Everyday Mindfulness From Suffering to Freedom: Practicing Reality Acceptance

“The great thing about treating borderline patients is that it is like having a supervisor always in the room.” 2 likes