Start by marking “Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder” as Want to Read:
Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,583 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
For the average clinician, individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD) often represent the most challenging, seemingly insoluble cases. This volume is the authoritative presentation of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), Marsha M. Linehan's comprehensive, integrated approach to treating individuals with BPD. DBT was the first psychotherapy shown in controlled tr ...more
Published May 14th 1993 by The Guilford Press (first published January 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

Wendy Reiersen
Apr 11, 2009 Wendy Reiersen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This book is not an easy read, but is well worth the effort. Dr. Linehan understands people with Borderline Personality Disorder, and how they got that way. If more of us understood emotional invalidation, and knew how to validate our children, ourselves, and each other, most mental illnesses as we know them would not exist.
stephanie
this is a little bit of a misleading title, as this is THE book that founded DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy).

dbt was initially created for BPD clients, but happily, it's being spread to different populations.

it is a cognitive treatment, but it's more behaviorally based than on cognition. it's a blend of western and eastern thought, and i think it's the most successful therapy on the market for addictive behaviors (from self-injury to gambling to eating disorders) and even depression and a
Matthew Leroy
Mar 21, 2014 Matthew Leroy rated it really liked it
It almost took me ten months to finish this book. It is fairly dry and tedious, although the points that Linehan makes are excellent. Throughout the book you can feel the empathy and compassion she has for some of the most troubled people in the world. I think she does a nice job of taking some dry behavioral research (operant conditioning, classical conditioning) and explaining how to apply it to humans.

Throughout the book, you get the sense that DBT in itself is really a synthesis between the
Devon
Dec 21, 2013 Devon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-ebooks
More than just a book about treating Borderline Personality Disorder, this is the book about Dialectical-Behavioural Treatment (DBT). I didn’t realize that when I started to read, but it wasn’t an unpleasant surprise by any means.

This is an academic text and is heavy, ponderous, and dry in many places. I’m not a stranger to texts like these, and so was not bothered by it, though it did make for slower going. Other readers might find it hard to get through because of this alone. The second half
Julie
Sep 17, 2011 Julie is currently reading it
Just started reading this book. However, it's interesting to note that Dr. Marsha Linehan developed this style of therapy because she herself suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder. (BPD)

Her style of therapy is both Cognitive and Dialectical. ( CBT and DBT) DBT is based on a model suggesting that both the cause and the maintenance of BPD is rooted in biological disorder combined with environmental disorder.

The fundamental biological disorder is in the emotion regulation system and may be
Julia
Dec 18, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: clinical-work
This book was fine, and DBT is obviously an enourmously effective therapy. I just wish that Linehan had put "manual" somewhere in the title, so I wouldn't have held out hope for so long that it would suddenly turn more fascinating than instructive (I probably unfairly judge fascination level by amount of clinical examples). She does, however, excel at writing clearly and without jargon.
Marilee
Jan 27, 2011 Marilee rated it did not like it
I just ordered this from Amazon. I'm hoping it will give me some insite on a person I know who I'm convinced has borderline personality disorder. This book was recommended to my by a professional psychologist.
Melanie
Apr 21, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
I read this book and the manual of the same title because I enrolled in the comprehensive DBT program through UNR with Dr. Alan Fruzzetti. The text in this title is dry and probably only a good read for other professionals, unless you enjoy theory and repetitive information. Folks trying to help themselves or someone they know may prefer the workbook format. DBT is a highly specialized treatment and to be done properly it must be done with the help of a qualified therapist. DBT uses a series of ...more
Angela
Apr 15, 2010 Angela added it
How can I begin to describe the importance of this book
and it's workbook of the same title?
It's nothing less than revolutionary.

Clearly Dr. Linehan is making a life of the seminal Buddhist prayer
"May all sentient beings be freed from suffering"

And this is the key to the cage.

"I've been where you're hanging
I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy
your loneliness says that you've sinned"

Blessings to St. Marsha, Sister of Mercy,
She can bring you back from hell, thro
Angela Dawn
Mar 11, 2008 Angela Dawn added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has experienced psychological suffering of any kind
Recommended to Angela Dawn by: The Universe
Shelves: psychology, yoga, law
How can I begin to describe the importance of this book
and it's workbook of the same title?
It's nothing less than revolutionary.

Clearly Dr. Linehan is making a life of the buddhist prayer
"May all sentient beings be freed from suffering"

And this is the key to the cage.

"I've been where you're hanging
I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy
your loneliness says that you've sinned"

Blessings to St. Marsha, Sister of Mercy,
She can bring you back from hell, through purgatory,
and
Nicole Spotts
Nov 21, 2015 Nicole Spotts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cover to cover

I finally read it cover to cover and not piecemeal! What many don't realize is how compassionate this treatment is, even though it is a structured protocol.
Ianto
Aug 06, 2014 Ianto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: resources
Fantastic guide, but now I really want more!
Was an intense introduction to DBT skills training, though I wish it was either more accessible OR more thorough.
Jason
Jun 19, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
Pretty much the manual for doing DBT
Gloria
Jul 12, 2008 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to learn more
A good opening guide to using DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) in therapy. While it was created for use with patients with BPD, it can be used a number of populations and some of the skills are good for everyone's lives. I'm not a huge fan of Marsha Linehan because of her insistence of complete adherence with no substitutions and no flexibility. But that has little to do with the book. You won't be an instant DBT expert after reading this, because I feel you will only gain expertise with exp ...more
Jonathan Ridenour
May 12, 2007 Jonathan Ridenour rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mental health professionals
Shelves: psychology
This has become a classic on BPD. The dialectical piece of this model is not a behavioral strategy. It is an attempt to move someone from a psychotic level (black/white thinking) of functioning to a neurotic level (holding things in tension, seeing other ways of knowing). Also the acceptance part of this model is very helpful for seeing anxiety/tension as a postive in growth. I also like the idea of the "wise mind" which is actually trying to get in touch with the superego, in dynamic terms.
Alex
Jan 05, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it
I wish there were a book this authoritative aimed at patients/clients. As it is, the first third of this text will be hugely helpful to BPD sufferers, or at least it has been to this one. Note: this is an academic text and as such may be daunting to those without that type of reading experience. Still, she does a good job explaining terminologies, etc., and it's clear she subscribes to the BS-free school of writing style.
Duncan
Mar 16, 2008 Duncan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Korina
I'm still reading this book, but it's clearly the landmark book for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder clients. And for good reason: it addresses the symptoms of these extremely tormented people in a therapeutic modality that has a better chance of making changes than other methods. Just add compassion, stir, and pour consistently into a therapeutic container with firm boundaries.
Lisa
Sep 11, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Marsha M. Linehan is simply the best on this topic. She makes understanding the complexities and often torturous experiences of what individuals who suffer from this disoder easy to grasp (despite the seriousness of the issue). I found this book incredibly interesting and useful. Another keeper!
Johna
Jan 06, 2016 Johna rated it really liked it
Marsha Linehan has articulated a very extraordinary mental disorder and the ways to overcome it in this ground breaking book. If one is unable to find trained mental health professionals for this particular problem, this book will help guide the untrained practitioner.
Brandon
May 12, 2007 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Linehan's text became a "must have" very quickly in this area and I think her contributions are very importrant. While many books in the field focus on "WHY did this disorder develop" ... Linehan takes us closer to "HOW does change happen."
Julie Hersh
Aug 06, 2011 Julie Hersh rated it really liked it
Great information, but the book was longer than need be, often repeating information. Much of what is contained in this book would be valuable not only to Borderline Personality Disorder, but any type of psychological disorder.
Carrie
Jun 17, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: counseling
This book was difficult to understand. I only got part way through the second chapter until I couldn't take it anymore. My eyes kept glazing over and my mind was wandering because the author rambles in textbook speak.
Erika
Aug 04, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for skills on BPD. Probably the most useful book I have encountered in my work setting.
Taysha
Jul 05, 2013 Taysha added it
very good read for those either suffering from borderline, and for those interested in studying the illness.
Angela Williams
Dec 08, 2012 Angela Williams rated it really liked it
Awesome therapeutic tool especially when dealing with patients with BPD and chemical dependency.
Terri
Jun 02, 2013 Terri rated it it was amazing
This is my textbook, and always present guide! What a brilliant woman....
Hannah Levy
Feb 19, 2013 Hannah Levy rated it really liked it
Marsha Linehan is awesome. That's all I have I say.
Lucy Clower
Another life changer. Everyone should read this book.
Nancy Serling
May 29, 2013 Nancy Serling rated it really liked it
Excellent treatment model for skill based learning methods
Amy
May 27, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
A really, really dry read from a very skilled professional.
  • Mindfulness and Acceptance: Expanding the Cognitive-Behavioral Tradition
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • Learning ACT: An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Skills-Training Manual for Therapists
  • ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
  • On Being a Therapist
  • Families and Family Therapy
  • Why People Die by Suicide
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy

“The great thing about treating borderline patients is that it is like having a supervisor always in the room.” 9 likes
“The Dialectical Dilemma for the Patient The borderline individual is faced with an apparently irreconcilable dilemma. On the one hand, she has tremendous difficulties with self-regulation of affect and subsequent behavioral competence. She frequently but somewhat unpredictably needs a great deal of assistance, often feels helpless and hopeless, and is afraid of being left alone to fend for herself in a world where she has failed over and over again. Without the ability to predict and control her own well-being, she depends on her social environment to regulate her affect and behavior. On the other hand, she experiences intense shame at behaving dependently in a society that cannot tolerate dependency, and has learned to inhibit expressions of negative affect and helplessness whenever the affect is within controllable limits. Indeed, when in a positive mood, she may be exceptionally competent across a variety of situations. However, in the positive mood state she has difficulty predicting her own behavioral capabilities in a different mood, and thus communicates to others an ability to cope beyond her capabilities. Thus, the borderline individual, even though at times desperate for help, has great difficulty asking for help appropriately or communicating her needs. The inability to integrate or synthesize the notions of helplessness and competence, of noncontrol and control, and of needing and not needing help can lead to further emotional distress and dysfunctional behaviors. Believing that she is competent to “succeed,” the person may experience intense guilt about her presumed lack of motivation when she falls short of objectives. At other times, she experiences extreme anger at others for their lack of understanding and unrealistic expectations. Both the intense guilt and the intense anger can lead to dysfunctional behaviors, including suicide and parasuicide, aimed at reducing the painful emotional states. For the apparently competent person, suicidal behavior is sometimes the only means of communicating to others that she really can’t cope and needs help; that is, suicidal behavior is a cry for help. The behavior may also function as a means to get others to alter their unrealistic expectations—to “prove” to the world that she really cannot do what is expected.” 1 likes