Start by marking “The Unconscious Civilization” as Want to Read:
The Unconscious Civilization

The Unconscious Civilization

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  439 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In this intellectual tour de force, Saul argues that the West now toils unconsciously in the grip of a stifling "corporatist" structure that serves the needs of business managers and technocrats as it promotes the segmentation of society into competing interest groups and ethnic blocks.
Published May 1st 1999 by Free Press (first published January 7th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Unconscious Civilization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unconscious Civilization

Tyler
Sep 07, 2009 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Libertarians; Fans of Social Sciences
Recommended to Tyler by: Trevor
The denial of the public good in favor of private interests is a theme which gives this book as much relevance now as when it first came out. In this critique of modern society the author, J. R. Saul, raises the humanist banner of Socrates against the ideological standard of Plato.

Since about 1870, he tells us, Western individualism has given way to “corporatism,” the idea that power involves only group interests. The corporatist world view denies that individuals can be a source of social legit
Trevor
Jul 16, 2007 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-theory
Saul is a beautifully simply writer. His thesis is that we live in a civilization that is fundamentally deluded about the type of society we actually are. We believe we live in a time of remarkable peace, but really there have never been so many wars. We think we are free and that we live in a democracy, but people have never felt so alienated from 'power'. This book is a call to arms over how to make our society more aligned to the myths of our society. Just because things have gotten worse sin ...more
Idleprimate
Nov 29, 2009 Idleprimate rated it it was amazing
i encountered this book just after my daughter was born. It articulated the sense she had given me, about civic responsibility, and my connection, however tenuous to society around me.

it is still the most concise argument available that demonstrates the need for citizenship and the dangers of narcissistic individualism.

it should be in highschool curriculums everywhere.
David
Dec 26, 2014 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: society-politics
The book discusses the phenomena of neo-conservatism, the economy's shift from the expansion of the 1960s, and related changes in society. However, that's not exactly what it's about. The author's view is that the central problems today are people thinking in terms of being part of a group rather than as an individual, people operating according to "ideologies", and people not thinking and questioning everything as Socrates did - and the philosophical perspectives behind these tendencies.

In some
Horus
May 15, 2015 Horus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the written edition of the Massey Lectures John Ralston Saul gave in 1995, and is a densely philosophical treatise on where, in his opinion, society in general is heading. This is neither a happy book, nor is it likely that it has been well understood by many who may have or will read it. His concepts are deeply troubling and as he states a number of times, it is incredibly difficult to remove ourselves from our normal mindset and see our political and societal situations from such ...more
Leftbanker
Dec 10, 2009 Leftbanker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
Sort of a follow-up to Voltaire's Bastards which simply asked a lot of questions. This book begins to offer something in the way of an answer out of the predicament of modern civilization.
Gordon Hilgers
Apr 23, 2013 Gordon Hilgers rated it it was amazing
For those of us who are at odds with the free market mumbo jumbo machine and the endless references to Frederick Hayek and Ludwig von Mises as the godheads of the so-called market, John Ralston Saul will help to unwind the knots of ideology and show where the holes are in not only free market ideology but in America's drift into corporatism. His contention? The most important factor in contemporary civilization--individualism--is being hijacked and re-defined in such a way as to so limit us into ...more
Roz
Aug 19, 2009 Roz rated it it was amazing
I want to highlight most of this book
McKenzie
Nov 08, 2014 McKenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newcomers to political ideas
Shelves: canadian, goverance
"The apple (of knowledge) is the game"

Saul effectively delivers a proactive political message in a clear style, that doesn't require a lot of background knowledge. Although, this was presented to a university level one audience, the keen reader can tackle the topic and still gain a lot from a close reading.

He gives readers the history of the rise in corporatism, gradual weakening of individualism and democracy, how this relationship functions today, and what can be done about it. Saul does this
Jason
Mar 27, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
Recommended to Jason by: Comment on Commondreams.org
Coming from a position that cannot be easily characterized as either Left or Right, Saul critiques technocracy and the anti-democratic culture of management and conformity, the favoring of private profit to public good, which comprise what he calls "corporatism." Regularly citing Adam Smith in opposition to the received truths of contemporary "free market" evangelists, Saul argues that markets do have a proper place in society (a fun game for those with the means to enjoy them!), but that they d ...more
Ben Eldridge
Nov 21, 2013 Ben Eldridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture-politics
A fascinating examination of contemporary society, The Unconscious Civilization argues that modern society is blindly locked in the self-defeating ideology of corporatism wherein self-interest (of groups) overwhelms the public good. As a basic thesis, Saul is almost undoubtedly correct, and whilst I do take issue with some of his assertions (his passing disposal of deconstructionist approaches to language, for instance), the central contention that modernity is characterised by an unwieldy burea ...more
Hugh Chatfield
I bought this and started to read it quite some time ago - but never finished it. I picked it up again and read it cover to cover - perhaps because he was dealing with the notion of corporatism, something I had recently become very aware of. Everything he discussed rang true in my head, perhaps because I got to experience "corporatism" first hand. "Hey don't this this personally - this is business".
Angelmae
Apr 26, 2014 Angelmae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always so disappointed to read such great books only to see them fail to change anything. I read this book so long ago, maybe 15 years ago, and still the dumbness of our culture pervades. It taught me the difference between being a mob thinker or a true thinker. Loved this book. It probably also messed me up for ever achieving success in the corporate world.
Eviatar
Saul provides interesting commentary on the legacies of Socrates versus Plato, the "managerial elite", and the corruption of equating individualism with selfishness.

On the other hand, the book suffers from numerous unstated assumptions, which David's review outlines very nicely. I'll just add that I think the most problematic is the assumption that there exists a holistic "public good", which Saul constantly invokes. Ideology is to avoided, he says, because ideology always involves the invention
Andrew
Feb 11, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
A classic I have recently re-read after almost twenty years. Prescient and still has a lot to say about our current condition.
Darryl
Apr 25, 2014 Darryl added it
What did I think? I thought it was seminal to my understanding of how capitalism works. I still think that.
xhxhx
Feb 06, 2015 xhxhx rated it did not like it
Terrible.
Sabrina Ali
Aug 21, 2012 Sabrina Ali rated it did not like it
The author makes no sense. He will propose a premise, but the following sentences tend not to address that specific premise and give no rationale for the conclusion he draws. I agreed with many of his conclusions, but it was sheer frustration to read, knowing that I could find more logical, reasoned arguments from an inmate of the local asylum.
Zainab Ramahi
Jun 18, 2015 Zainab Ramahi rated it liked it
The acceptance of psychic discomfort is the acceptance of consciousness.

Really excellent and frightening/sad that it's 20 years old but sounds mostly completely like today.
Egang
Jan 05, 2008 Egang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author lays out a compelling argument for the promotion of humanism and critiques the current state of our civilization and the traditional ideologies we are so accustomed to hearing from our political figures.
Mitch
Jun 20, 2008 Mitch rated it did not like it
this is a groovy little text until it comes to speaking to the heart of the unconscious civilization ... of freudian and jungian theory. john ralston saul gets the notion of the unconscious all wrong.
Guy
Sep 14, 2010 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent criticism of the economic ideologies with which we have deluded ourselves, and which are being foisted upon us like religious gospels. Magnificent effort.
Jan 03, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Made it halfway through. Very dry and hard to tell what is relevant to current events. Vaguely interesting but not a good casual read.
Shishir
Mar 01, 2014 Shishir rated it it was ok
A rather scenic historic perspective on echelons of power in hands of Corporations manipulating Govt Media and the unconscious public!
H Wesselius
Jul 26, 2011 H Wesselius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the most succinct summary of his ideas and criticisms of modern society. Only Voltaire's Bastards is better.
Tom
Oct 18, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best philosophical explanations of why democracy matters both in theory and practice.
Christopher
May 25, 2012 Christopher rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Pretentious - hated it. At least Volitare's bastards had something to it.
Scott Collingwood
  • The Treason of the Intellectuals
  • A Short History of Progress
  • The Permanent Revolution, Results and Prospects
  • Problems of Knowledge and Freedom: The Russell Lectures
  • Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • The Poverty of Theory
  • Dark Age Ahead
  • The Anatomy of Fascism
  • All Consuming Images: The Politics Of Style In Contemporary Culture
  • The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market Society and Redefine Democracy
John Ralston Saul is a Canadian author, essayist, and President of International PEN. As an essayist, Saul is particularly known for his commentaries on the nature of individualism, citizenship and the public good; the failures of manager-, or more precisely technocrat-, led societies; the confusion between leadership and managerialism; military strategy, in particular irregular warfare; the role ...more
More about John Ralston Saul...

“Whenever governments adopt a moral tone - as opposed to an ethical one - you know something is wrong.” 31 likes
“Now listen to the first three aims of the corporatist movement in Germany, Italy and France during the 1920s. These were developed by the people who went on to become part of the Fascist experience:
(1) shift power directly to economic and social interest groups;
(2) push entrepreneurial initiative in areas normally reserved for public bodies;
(3) obliterate the boundaries between public and private interest -- that is, challenge the idea of the public interest.
This sounds like the official program of most contemporary Western governments.”
17 likes