Start by marking “Brain Child” as Want to Read:

Brain Child

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,184 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Book by Saul, John
Published 1985 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Brain Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Child

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironIt by Stephen KingI Am Legend by Richard MathesonJaws by Peter BenchleyChristine by Stephen King
Horror Heroes
28th out of 75 books — 77 voters
Perfume by Patrick SüskindSacred Hearts by Sarah DunantThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonCat's Eye by Margaret AtwoodHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Best Books Focused On Body Parts
46th out of 104 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Georganne Neely
Nov 29, 2010 Georganne Neely rated it it was amazing
loved it!
Diana
Dec 28, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book was a bit different than what John Saul usually writes. I mean, of course, there are crimes and suspense moments, all wrapped in a shroud of mystery but still... I realised by reading this book that, after all, the soul is what makes us human: the experiences we've been through, the emotions we've learned to express. And if something can interfere with our humanity and our empathy towards others is not knowing to forgive and forget.
Gloria Piper
Alex, a popular high school student, suffers extensive brain damage in a car accident. His parents release what appears to be a brain-dead boy to the care of Dr. Torres, an innovative brain surgeon. Dr. Torres succeeds to the extent that Alex revives, suddenly brilliant but without memory or emotions. Then a seed of evil that stems from an ancient wrong invades Alex's brain, and the question arises: is Dr. Torres a hero or a devil?

The story has a Twilight Zone feel. The viewpoints are many, and
Angel
Mar 29, 2016 Angel rated it liked it
Compré éste libro hace tres años para una clase de ingles. Se suponía que leeríamos un libro y al finalizar el ciclo daríamos una reseña, sin embargo, nunca llegamos a realizar dicho trabajo. Ahora, después de todo éste tiempo, he leído el libro y estoy aquí para escribir esa reseña.

Me gustó. La historia logro interesarme en muchas ocasiones aunque luego daba giros que me parecían malos, pero bueno, estaba bien. La narración era bipolar: algunas veces era bastante descriptiva e intensa, como deb
Patrice Hoffman
This book was a fairly simple read about a teen who'd gotten into a horrible car accident. After a brain-saving operation is performed, the teen survives. On the surface he appears to be the old Alex Lonsdale that everyone wants him to be, minus feelings. The kid has no feelings at all. And if that isn't creepy enough, he's suddenly a super-genius. He's able to store and recall any information he's given like a computer.

The book is a farely easy read and I was able to breeze through it pretty q
Marianneboss
Jul 01, 2014 Marianneboss rated it it was ok
Evil doctor with evil plans and an evil experiment...and you know the rest of the story if you've read a John Saul book before.
Nothing new under the sun.
Also, the author is a cheater, he writes a character giving it some thoughts and treats that drastically change towards the end making it seem it was like that since the beginning but it doesn't make any sense since it's supposed to be an omniscent narrator (view spoiler)
R
May 09, 2013 R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bev
Jul 06, 2012 Bev rated it it was amazing
This was another excellent read by John Saul. I enjoy the way the author constructs this story as it is an older book, the technology aspect of this read was fascinating and incredibly creative. This is the second book I read by this author in a little over 24 hours and, with good reason. Once I startb his books I just can't tear myself away. Another reminder why I began to look foward to his books many moons ago. I will definitely be combing the bookstore for more of his books as even after all ...more
Andrew Armour
Apr 13, 2015 Andrew Armour rated it liked it
A few years after I read the dull plodding horror Nathaniel, it was with mixed feeling as to what to expect here.I don't expect every book to be a classic, just a good story even if it dose retread old ground. And I'm pleased to say that is what I got when I read this offering from John Saul. But the key that keeps you grasping the book in hand, is not so much the horror elements but moreover the personality change or as for our main character a lack of it, which was caused by a car accident. A ...more
Celeste
Jun 26, 2011 Celeste rated it did not like it
This book picked up a little bit after the brain surgery but overall the plot moved too slowly for my liking. None of the characters were likeable or memorable. When characters were killed toward the end of the book, I wondered to myself, "Who was that?"

Without giving too much away, the moral of this story is be careful who you're rude to in high school-- they may grow up to be influential and hold a grudge.

I give this one star.
Benjamin Stahl
Nov 07, 2015 Benjamin Stahl rated it liked it
There isn't that much to be said about John Saul. I mean, I remember coming randomly across him in a second-hand bookstore, (which is how my bullshit personal story to every book I read seems to start), and being mildly captivated by the images on all his books. His titles are pretty lame - (The Unloved!! The Unwanted!! Comes The Blind Fury!! Punish The Sinners!!) - but I couldn't resist the cheesy goosebumps vibe I got from reading the backslaps. No, I said backflaps, you fucking ...

First Saul
Sam
I didn't even finish it. It bored the crap out of me. Very seldom do I not finish a book once I start it but this time I just couldn't finish it. I tried to read the book but I just couldn't do it. It was sooooo bad. Hell the book deserves half a star.

Not really anybody's idea of a good start to the year on reading. No one wants to start their year reading a book that sucks ass...well I did so it can only get better.
Ricci
Mar 18, 2013 Ricci rated it really liked it
I think I just found a new to me favorite author. This was the first John Saul book I have ever read and LOVED it. This book was about a teenager that got into a really bad accident and had a brain surgery that turned him into someone else. Creepy goodness. I didn't want to sleep until this one was finished.
Megan
Jun 02, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Holger  C Andersen
Mar 06, 2012 Holger C Andersen rated it really liked it
I liked the book very much.
A science fiction book can develop in any direction the author might want, and thats whats happening here.
Whats happening in the book is totally unrealistic, but I had some nice hours in the company of the brain child.
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
In ‘Brain Child’, a car accident forever changes the lives of everyone around Alex Lonsdale. The accident left Alex on the brink of death and brain-dead but a highly intelligent doctor’s inexplicable medical miracle saved his life. However, soon it becomes apparent that he’s completely different.

The author’s writing was top-notch as he kept it simple yet delivered adequate details wherever necessary. He particularly excelled when it concerned Alex as there was no doubt at all that Alex was inca
Tracey
Aug 14, 2014 Tracey rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book! It threw you in all directions so you didn't know the outcome until the end. I loved it and highly recommend this book!
Katrin
Mar 31, 2014 Katrin rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting but at the end led me to think again that there could be a sequel.
Aggrey Sambay
Jun 06, 2014 Aggrey Sambay rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it alot. it was like watching a science fiction movie
Dawn Leitheuser
Oct 26, 2014 Dawn Leitheuser rated it really liked it
OMG!! What a nightmare! Engrossing and terrifing
Heather
Apr 14, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Emishor
Anyone who has read John Saul's novels knows he stays true to a formula, but that doesn't mean his book are the same. Some things seem repetitive, like the fact children (mostly teenagers) are involved, a little science and a touch of the supernatural.
"Brainchild" is interesting and has a good pace. The suspense is building up nicely, and the way it is written makes for an easy and enjoyable read. The characters are one dimensional and except for Alex no one goes through any kind of development.
Scott Vandrick
Sep 03, 2014 Scott Vandrick rated it liked it
I picked up "Brainchild" as my summer read 2014 to explore a little John Saul. Ah, now, I see. His writing is clean and frugal with just enough to know what Alex said, why he said it and what he was doing when the words came out. And the story is just scary enough to be thrilling and just silly enough to be fun. I liked it.
Johanne
Feb 16, 2015 Johanne rated it did not like it
Dear Mr. Saul,
You may be a decent writer, I don't know. But I do know that I most certainly do not like you. I find your teenagers and the constant theme of ancient mysticism vs. technology incredibly played out and just trite.
Your particular brand of horror/sci-fi leaves me nothing but annoyed.
Rebecca McNutt
May 21, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
Interesting, but nothing special, and much of it just dragged on to the point where it became perpetually dull and boring. I liked the vibrant writing style of the intro, but otherwise a lot of this book was just filler.
Bob
Aug 16, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
‘Brain Child’ was another good one by John Saul and more than just imaginative science fiction and thriller, for the time that it was written it was quite interesting in its use of scientific and medical application of the power of computers and microprocessors to bridge the gap between man and machines.
Lena C.
Aug 28, 2014 Lena C. rated it liked it
Good book. I like a book that keeps me guessing. And this book definitely did that. That ending though...
Miguel Rodriguez
Empieza bien, pero luego te provoca un sueño indescriptible noi me gusto en lo personal.
Missie
Mar 30, 2014 Missie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Interesting story. Easy read. Makes you think about the future and A.I.
Quincey Lascheid
Oct 26, 2015 Quincey Lascheid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay and I felt the ending was forced and left on a cliff hanger that will never be resolved.
  • Brain
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Silent Treatment
  • Savage
  • Darkfall
  • Breathe
  • The Hellfire Club
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Haunted (David Ash, #1)
  • Implant
  • Emerald Germs of Ireland
  • Dragonfly
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he