Start by marking “Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)

Blaggard's Moon (Trophy Chase 0)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the author of highly praised Trophy Chase Trilogy comes this exciting swashbuckling tale of a pirate sentenced to die for the crime of mutiny.

As he awaits his fate, this pirate (none other than the delightful Smith Delaney from the Trophy Chase Trilogy) ponders his life and the events that have brought him to this fate.

In the process of remembering, and in grappling w
Published March 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Blaggard's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaggard's Moon

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy
100th out of 312 books — 408 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienLallapaloosa by Rags DanielsThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanLiberty or Death by David        Cook
Heroes & Adventures
165th out of 409 books — 185 voters

More lists with this book...

Margaret
Jul 15, 2010 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: TitleTrakk.com
Smith Delaney is a man who is awaiting his demise. This is a novel, of Delaney remembering a story in vivid detail of how things went from one place to another in the world of vast pirating and pillaging where the townsfolk saw no end of terror. Polivka weaves an intriguing tale as a master storyteller that brings images easily to the mind's eye of a reader and keeps one ceaselessly thirsting for more.

Many a book can grab me and pull with the never-ending page turning drama to a finish. This bo
Ron
Wow. Great story. Great storytelling. Polivka gets better and better.

Chronologically, this story occurs before the Firefish trilogy, but if you read this one first you're apt to be disappointed with them. Press on, Polivka gets better.

Having read Firefish, of course, you suspect how this book has to turn out, but Polivka keeps you in suspense until the end. Masterfully weaving several narrative threads, Polivka gives us great insight into the history and struggles of Smith Delaney as he waits ex
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

The story opens with a man named Delaney sitting on a post in the middle of a jungle lake that is infested with piranah and horrible mermonkeys. As Delaney ponders how he came to be in such a predicament, the reader drifts with his memory and into a wonderful adventure. We come to know the story of a girl named Jenta who was low born but brought up as a lady. We learn of a young man named Damrick who stands up to defend the common folk from pirates by forming the Hell’s
Amydeanne
Yo Ho and a bottle of rum.. a pirates life for me… okay maybe not for me, but a book… A pirates tale. Now that’s for me! After all the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies and such that have been about the past few years I thought diving into this book would be an ease! I must admit the first chapter I couldn’t get into it. It gave a W-I-D-E overview and I didn’t see a focus. The second chapter I started to see a bit more form and started to meet a few characters. By the third chapter I was hooked! ...more
Rachel Thomson
There are moments in our lives that change everything.

Forks in the road. Accidents. Love at first sight.

Death.

Yup, that one changes everything. Forever.

A lot of the time we don’t see those moments coming. Especially the last one. But Smith Delaney, the marooned pirate whose post-sitting ruminations open Blaggard’s Moon, can see Death coming, wrinkled and white-eyed and iron-clawed, thanks to the horrific stories told him by tribal chiefs the night before. Delaney has been left on a post in the m
J.L. Mbewe
This book begins at the end and through flashbacks we learn why this pirate, Smith Delaney, is sitting on a post in a pond and awaiting his death by the terrible mermonkeys . Author, George Bryan Polivka, has done a masterful job in his use of the flashbacks. Through the wandering mind of Delaney, we embark on three stories: Damrick Fellows, the pirate hunter; Jenta, a young woman doing her best to play the cards she has been dealt; and of course, Delaney, a pirate contemplating his life and the ...more
Lynn's
Some books are about the plot, the twist and turns of the mystery. Others are about the feelings and emotions of each character as the heart is revealed chapter by chapter; but Blaggard's Moon has the best of both worlds.

The story line itself was superb. A young man coming home from the Navy, ready to fight the worlds evilest men on the high seas (pirates!)...a love that was destined to be, yet, cut short by deaths appointed time...and one man who remembers it all, convinced that death would co
cecilia
The characters are enjoyable, but I had hoped to see more of them and definitely more action. I wanted more cannons, more swords, more gunpowder - more pirate vs good guy! The romance, while present, did not fly off the page for me or seem entirely believable because not that much detail had been put into it. I had hoped to see Jenta become something like Elizabeth Swanson from Pirate Of The Caribbean, but sadly that was not her course in life.

The flashbacks became a little confusing at times an
Fred Warren
What is it about pirates? They’re low-down, blackhearted, sadistic, murderous, lying, cheating, thieving, drunken reprobates with lousy personal hygiene, but we root for them anyway. We make movies about them, we design amusement park rides around them, we name fast food restaurants after them, and we even dedicate a day on the international calendar to talk like them.

Maybe, as the advertisement goes, there’s a little pirate in all of us. He represents a lot of things we wish we could be…carefre
Kait
I really thoguht that this book wouldn't be very good, only because I didn't enjoy Firefish all that much. However, the narrator of this book is a different person, so Polivka was able to give it a very different voice.

I enjoyed it a fair amount. I didn't find it as captivating as it could be, but it was interesting enough to keep reading (even if I only read it in small chunks over several months).

I enjoyed Jenta's storyline the most, and kind of glossed over other parts.

I'd recommend this b
Meadow
Delany is awaiting a hideous death, to avert his mind from the things to come, he dwells on stories of the past. Murder, Pirates, Love, and Betrayal are the stories back bone.

This was a little confusing at first, the first 2 chapters I was a little confused. The writing was slightly confusing at times. But the overall story was gripping. I wasn't to excited about the mermonkeys being demons or something. I loved the name for Jenta, never though of that name before.

It was like the Isle of Swords
Gina
I was excited when I found this book. Yay! Pirates!

While there were indeed pirates, they were rather one dimensional as with all the other characters in the book. Each character had approximately one trait that was then used repeatedly and with every chapter I read it just became more frustrating. Jenta existed only to be saved and provide a romantic interest and Delaney was tormented by guilt and so on...

In the end I couldn't finish it, I got to the last chapter and gave up.
Jami
I have never read a pirate book before this one and I was impressed with the way the story was written. I never really thought of pirates as highly intelligent, ruthless yes, blood thirsty yes but not especially cunning. The pirate captains in this story were some of the evilest men I've encountered in literature and they were balanced by the good in one man and the grace of God that can save us no matter the situation. I was hooked and plan to read more of this author.
Jean-Jacq
This book had so much going for it. I was actually contemplating whether or not it would make my "favourite" list while I was reading it. However, the book lacked it's original....brilliance....toward the end.

So yes, it was a bit disappointing, but don't let that stop you reading it, cause I really enjoyed it, it just didn't turn out as I'd hoped.
Dion
Original, if a bit fuzzy
Anna Tielmann
Anna Tielmann marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Alaina
Alaina marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Brittnie Blodgett
Brittnie Blodgett marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Evelina
Evelina marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Chibs
Chibs marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Georgie Wolf
Georgie Wolf marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Chesca Niemand
Chesca Niemand is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2014
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • The Restorer (Sword of Lyric Series #1)
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • Daughter of Light (Follower of the Word #1)
  • The Resurrection
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Shadow at Evening (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1)
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • The Vanishing Sculptor (Valley of the Dragons, #1)
  • Giver of Roses (Guardians of Gadiel, #1)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Isle of Swords (Isle of Swords, #1)
George Bryan Polivka was raised in the Chicago area, attended Bible college in Alabama, and ventured on to Europe where he studied under Francis Schaeffer at L’Abri Fellowship in Switzerland. He then returned to Alabama where he enrolled at Birmingham-Southern College as an English major.

In 1986, Bryan won an Emmy for writing his documentary, “A Hard Road to Glory,” which detailed the difficult p
More about George Bryan Polivka...
The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy) The Hand That Bears the Sword The Battle for Vast Dominion (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #3)

“When you love, dear girl, you give another the power to hurt you. If you love deeply enough, you give another the power to destroy you.” 14 likes
“It was like... it was like women were made to do that to men. Like men were made with a big soft spot, and no matter how tough they got they couldn't protect themselves there. Like maybe, when God took that rib from the man to make the woman, the way the priests told it from their Scripture books, He left a hole in the man. One that she could always slide into. And the man couldn't stop her doing it, either. ” 2 likes