Start by marking “As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda” as Want to Read:
As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda

As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda

Inspired by the award-winning film of the same name.

If you were told that a murderer was to be released into your neighborhood, how would you feel? But what if it weren’t only one, but thousands?

Could there be a common roadmap to reconciliation? Could there be a shared future after unthinkable evil? If forgiveness is possible after the slaughter of nearly a million in a hu
Published February 10th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about As We Forgive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As We Forgive

Jason
Oct 23, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing
What does forgiveness really look like? How can you forgive someone who seemingly took everything away that made life worth living: family, homes, and trust? What kind of power is it that can look someone who has hurt you in the deepest way, and forgive them? This is what As We Forgive is about, specifically how do Rwandan survivors of the 1994 genocide forgive those who broke into their homes, chased them down in the wild and sought to wipe them out.

The 1994 Rwandan genocide, where Hutu attack
Buddy Eades
Dec 15, 2012 Buddy Eades rated it it was amazing
I'm biased as I have know the author but that doesn't mean I don't know great writing and the scent of Jesus all over this book and story! We need to remember and hear the stories of those who walk together in finding and giving forgiveness. These are the stories that make the gospel shine. Only Jesus can make sense of the slaughter and pain while orchestrating the opportunity for an entire people to find healing and grace. Don't forget this place, these people or this story and pray that you ...more
Jennifer Daniels
This book will invite you to pray. -out of thankfulness, out of horror, out of fear, out of humility that comes from an honest look at those who show mercy in the face of brutal devastation. This is not for the faint of heart. But is for those who want to trust God to forgive them and want to forgive others. Amazing.
Amy Kannel
Sep 24, 2012 Amy Kannel rated it really liked it
Shelves: rwanda, africa, own
This book helped validate why I have had such an interest, for more than four years now, in Rwanda and the 1994 genocide: “With the gift of listening comes the gift of healing, because listening to your brothers or sisters until they have said the last words in their hearts is healing and consoling. Someone has said that is is possible 'to listen a person's soul into existence.' I like that.” --Catherine de Hueck Doherty / “listening is the greatest form of loving. ...In a place where everyone ...more
Mary
Apr 10, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
As We Forgive by Catherine Claire Larson is one of those life-changing books that will linger with you the rest of your life. It's not for the fainthearted. It's not for the hard-hearted or those bent toward stubborn unforgiveness. It's primarily a story of hope.

During 100 days of 1994 800,000 people were brutally murdered in Rwanda--a genocide swifter in execution than Nazi gas chambers. Imagine Denver and Colorado Springs--every man, woman and child--suddenly gone from our population and you'l
Debbie
Apr 12, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This book tells seven personal stories of experiences during the genocide, its aftermath, and how they came to forgiveness. These accounts are intense, vivid, and powerful. The people in these stories came from different areas and had different experiences, giving the reader a good idea of what happened during the genocide and afterward. The book is worth reading for these stories alone.

The narratives effectively show the struggle of how to forgive and gain peace. However, after each story, the
April
Oct 19, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
I'd wanted to read this book ever since I saw a review of it in World magazine last year. A few years back, I was reading Lee Camp's 'Mere Discipleship' for a Bible study. In one chapter, Lee points out that Rwanda was one of the most "Christian" nations in Africa and could have been used as an example of the success of Christian missions...before the genocide. He asks the question, how could people in the one of the most Christian societies in Africa turn on and kill hundreds and thousands of ...more
Shane
Oct 01, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing
I had just finished the mammoth task of wading through Dallaire's book (Shake Hands with the Devil) when I started on this. Where Dallaire's book often felt like it would get a little bogged down in the overwhelming myriad of daily decisions (and their subsequent ramifications), I found the simpler narrative style much easier to bore into!

I have been to Rwanda: I have spoken with amazing Rwandese men and women, and have been moved to tears first-hand by their stories. This work captures a glimps
Lisa
Mar 09, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I've read other books on the Rwanda and found this one particularly difficult to get through for some reason. The personal stories of tragedy were heart-wrenching, but they were all also stories of eventual forgiveness. Interspersed between these stories were brief chapters on the subject of forgiveness. Reading what happened to these people makes you see that any of them being able to offer forgiveness to the perpetrators of such evil can only be a miracle of God. The author offers guidance on ...more
Patrick
Aug 03, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
"In this way we differ from all animals. It is not our capacity to think that makes us different, but our capacity to repent and to forgive. Only humans can perform that most unnatural act and by doing so only they can develop relationships that transcend the relentless laws of nature" (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn). As We Forgive is an astonishing, painful, heartening book. If you choose to read it, be prepared for tears--of both agony and joy--to flow.
Donniesands
Aug 15, 2014 Donniesands rated it liked it
- great information through the stories of individuals in Rwanda
- has sections of reflection on forgiveness which I found to be very thought provoking
- the stories sometimes feel rushed and the writing is decent but loses its appeal after a few stories
- I was hoping for less anecdotal evidence and some more objective info on forgiveness
- sometimes feels too much like evangelism, when I would hope for a more neutral view
Gina
Jan 06, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
Read on recommendation of Mary Scott F. - Written by a friend of hers. Hard to read without crying as the tales of real life atrocities are told without being over-dramatized, but simply as they happened - devastating turns in the lives of real people. Examples of forgiveness and reconciliation are not over-simplified. Forgiveness is presented as the difficult process that it is. Excellent and heart-breaking and God-glorifying story-telling.
Deborah
Dec 01, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It took me out of my comfort zone talking about the genocide. Made me understand politically what happend but more important it showed me that if the Rwandan people can forgive their neighbours for the brutal acts of war then how silly are we who live in luxury to not feel we can forgive those around us that have hurt us.
Jun 05, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book is the hands down best book I've ever read. Please, if you have ever needed help forgiving someone, this is the book for you. The way she used the Rawandan genocide to show how literally forgive anyone, even someone who killed your whole entire family. Please read this book, it will change uour perspective on everything as it has done mine.
Thomas Trouwborst
Nov 17, 2009 Thomas Trouwborst rated it it was amazing
Powerful and moving. How would you respond to someone asking for forgiveness if they murdered members of your family? Some of the stories were simply jaw-dropping. These accounts of forgiveness after the genocide/attrocities in Rwanda will help anyone to gain perspective and a better understanding of the Gospel and God's call to forgive others.
Nathan Eckman
Oct 25, 2012 Nathan Eckman rated it it was amazing
Could you forgive a people who committed genocide to your people? Could you forgive them for killing your father, raping your mother? The people of Rwanda face these questions, this story is told in an equally compelling documentary under the same title.
Chandra Boulden
Apr 13, 2015 Chandra Boulden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
WOW! If these people who experience many brutal atrocities can learn to forgive, so can I! What a lesson in this book to learn to put aside your hurts and act in good faith in the future. I liked the idea of the elders sitting under a tree for mediation and resolution. Powerful book!
Laurie
Jan 11, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing
A powerful look at the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide. Various not-for-profit organizations and individual pastors encourage both victims and villains to enter into a process of forgiveness, repentance and restitution. Seven survivors' stories are highlighted.
Brenda Swan phinney
Oct 20, 2014 Brenda Swan phinney rated it it was amazing
It has taken me weeks to get through this book when I normally read a book a week. The content is so heart wrenching and simply cannot be skimmed over. I leave for Rwanda in under 2 weeks and read this as part of my preparation for the trip.
Leslie
Nov 28, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Every human being must read this. Remarkable stories of how the nation of Rwanda is healing after the brutal genocide of 1994 that pitted friend against friend and neighbor against neighbor.
Patricia Walker
Sep 04, 2014 Patricia Walker rated it it was amazing
Gripping account of the power of forgiveness under the most horrific of circumstances, chronicles the reconciliation that has taken place for many traumatized by the genocide in Rwanda.
Tammy
I loved reading the chronology of events at the beginning of the book but after that I just couldn't get into the "story" so I did not finish it.
Cynthia
Mar 08, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
This is a tragic and redeeming book about the horrors of the Rwandan genocide and the redemption that is now happening in the country. Read it with a box of kleenex nearby!
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Andrew May
Andrew May rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Jill Owen
Jill Owen rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2012
Annecy
Annecy rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey
  • God Sleeps in Rwanda: A Journey of Transformation
  • The Antelope's Strategy: Living in Rwanda After the Genocide
  • The Last Lincolns: The Rise & Fall of a Great American Family
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Six Minutes to Freedom: How a Band of Heros Defied a Dictator and Helped Free a Nation
  • Conspiracy to Murder: The Rwanda Genocide and the International Community
  • The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty
  • The Bishop of Rwanda: Finding Forgiveness Amidst a Pile of Bones
  • American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto
  • 18 Words: The Most Important Words You Will Ever Know
  • Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Young, Restless, No Longer Reformed: Black Holes, Love, and a Journey in and Out of Calvinism