Wackiest White House Pets

Wackiest White House Pets

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the tradition of the Caldecott-winning book SO YOU WANT TO BE PRESIDENT? Gibbs Davis and David A. Johnson present some of the White House's wackiest residents with hilarious fun.

White House pets come in every size, shape, and species. What are some of the pets that belong to the world's most powerful men and their families? John Quincy Adams' alligator liked to slither...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Wackiest White House Pets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wackiest White House Pets

Milo P.
May 24, 2013 Milo P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
I think the picture of the sheep mowing the lawn is really funny. But, right now I am too young to really like to sit and listen to the stories about the animals. Mama makes up different stories to go with the pictures. That makes the story a little bit more fun.
Wackiest White House Pets tells the stories of the most unusual pets to accrue to the Presidential family from Thomas Jefferson’s two grizzlies to Woodrow Wilson’s ram, Old Ike, to the Roosevelt menagerie.

By treating the presidents through their pets, Wackiest White House Pets presented the Presidents in a highly personable manner, showing their peculiar quirks through the animals they included in their household.

Did you know…

•That Washington had over forty hounds?
•That the king of Siam presente...more
Shonica
This was an interesting book about the various animals that have lived in the White House. I was fascinated by the number of creatures our presidents have had. Each of the stories was very short, which is would be fine but there were a couple of times when it felt like the author left out important information. For example, one story mentions that the president had to say goodbye to his alligator but never said what happened to the alligator. ?? Where did it go? Did they give it to a zoo, set it...more
Jazmin
I really enjoyed reading this nonfiction picturebook! It was funny and informational. The pictures were nice and funny. I learned many interesting stuff about our past presidents. For example, that Thomas Jefferson had grizzly bears for pets!This book is informational because for every president listed it starts with a little part of their biography, then it mentions the pets they had. I will definitely have my students read this book ,because I am sure they will enjoy it. After reading this boo...more
Amanda St
This book was so interesting and definitely told a great story about all the president's different animals that lived at the White House. The introduction is really what made me want to check this book out. I will say that on the first couple of pages it mentions the word "jacka**" so i do not think I would use this in my classroom, but if students ever wanted a great book about wacky animals and the stories behind them, then it would be my number one pick.
The Reading Countess
This high interest narrative nonfiction will surely captivate my readers. I liked the index at the book of the book detailing each president chronologically with his nickname, a brief sketch about his service in the Oval Office and the animals he kept while in office. A bear, an alligator, goats, cows and even opossums have called 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue home!
Lauren
Reading with Students. Kind of long, but they really like seeing the different animals and everything.
Carol
My daughter brought this home from the school library and I ended up as engrossed in it as she was.
Mrs. Viteri
Mrs. Viteri marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Kristina Mcdowell
Kristina Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Crystal Price
Crystal Price marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Fieldstroop
Fieldstroop marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Mr. Ferris and His Wheel Merry Christmas, World! (Full House: Michelle, #23) Maud Flies Solo First Kids Swann Song