Start by marking “Wackiest White House Pets” as Want to Read:
Wackiest White House Pets

Wackiest White House Pets

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the tradition of the Caldecott-winning book SO YOU WANT TO BE PRESIDENT? Gibbs Davis and David A. Johnson present some of the White House's wackiest residents with hilarious fun.

White House pets come in every size, shape, and species. What are some of the pets that belong to the world's most powerful men and their families? John Quincy Adams' alligator liked to slither
Published October 1st 2004 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Wackiest White House Pets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wackiest White House Pets

Milo
May 24, 2013 Milo rated it liked it
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
I think the picture of the sheep mowing the lawn is really funny. But, right now I am too young to really like to sit and listen to the stories about the animals. Mama makes up different stories to go with the pictures. That makes the story a little bit more fun.
Laura Verret
Wackiest White House Pets tells the stories of the most unusual pets to accrue to the Presidential family from Thomas Jefferson’s two grizzlies to Woodrow Wilson’s ram, Old Ike, to the Roosevelt menagerie.

By treating the presidents through their pets, Wackiest White House Pets presented the Presidents in a highly personable manner, showing their peculiar quirks through the animals they included in their household.

Did you know…

•That Washington had over forty hounds?
•That the king of Siam presente
Shonica
Aug 21, 2012 Shonica rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book about the various animals that have lived in the White House. I was fascinated by the number of creatures our presidents have had. Each of the stories was very short, which is would be fine but there were a couple of times when it felt like the author left out important information. For example, one story mentions that the president had to say goodbye to his alligator but never said what happened to the alligator. ?? Where did it go? Did they give it to a zoo, set it ...more
Carol Krueger
Mar 14, 2016 Carol Krueger rated it liked it
Always fun to learn about history through pets. Our various Presidents have had a wide variety of pets.
Michelle Gray
Jan 01, 2015 Michelle Gray rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
It was okay but the writing was not very smooth and the pets weren't all that wacky.
Jazmin
Nov 20, 2011 Jazmin rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this nonfiction picturebook! It was funny and informational. The pictures were nice and funny. I learned many interesting stuff about our past presidents. For example, that Thomas Jefferson had grizzly bears for pets!This book is informational because for every president listed it starts with a little part of their biography, then it mentions the pets they had. I will definitely have my students read this book ,because I am sure they will enjoy it. After reading this boo ...more
Amanda St
Dec 06, 2012 Amanda St rated it really liked it
This book was so interesting and definitely told a great story about all the president's different animals that lived at the White House. The introduction is really what made me want to check this book out. I will say that on the first couple of pages it mentions the word "jacka**" so i do not think I would use this in my classroom, but if students ever wanted a great book about wacky animals and the stories behind them, then it would be my number one pick.
The Reading Countess
Mar 29, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
This high interest narrative nonfiction will surely captivate my readers. I liked the index at the book of the book detailing each president chronologically with his nickname, a brief sketch about his service in the Oval Office and the animals he kept while in office. A bear, an alligator, goats, cows and even opossums have called 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue home!
Feb 01, 2010 Lauren rated it did not like it
Reading with Students. Kind of long, but they really like seeing the different animals and everything.
Carol
Mar 09, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My daughter brought this home from the school library and I ended up as engrossed in it as she was.
Lisa Hopkins
Lisa Hopkins marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Katarina
Katarina rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Sabina
Sabina rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Julia Margaret
Julia Margaret marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Lynne Marie
Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Chloe Davidson
Chloe Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Gabby Danback
Gabby Danback rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Mrs. Viteri
Mrs. Viteri marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Paul Teodori
Paul Teodori rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Tess
Tess rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013