Start by marking “Plastic Angel” as Want to Read:
Plastic Angel

Plastic Angel

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A moving, funny first novel by an acclaimed singer-songwriter about friendship, music, and being true to who you are--even if it means disappointing your parents and everyone around you.

That was then: Angela has been a child model all her life, the baby on the cake mix box, the cutie pie in the toy commercial. She was mom's pride and joy, the celebri-toast of her tiny town
Published June 1st 2005 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Plastic Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic Angel

Ken
May 15, 2009 Ken rated it liked it
It has been a long time since I have read a book that has teen and tween girls as its target audience, but Plastic Angel is such a book. I first heard the music of Nerissa and Katryna Neilds about 3 1/2 years ago through an internet radio station. The album This Town Is Wrong, which has several songs that have become favorites, is essentially a soundtrack for Plastic Angel, and that is what led me to venture into the Young Adult section of the library to pick it up.

Plastic Angel tells the story
Kristine
Filled with laughter and tears, Plastic Angel is a wonderful story of two girls wanting to become more than what they are. Angela has been brought up as a child model her whole life. Her mom praises her endlessly, but now Angela is getting tired of it. She wants to do what she wants. She wants to have a normal life. Her friend Gellie wants what Angela has. She wants to be famous and known. The two girls miraculous have stayed friends since childhood. The only thing that seems to help their wants ...more
Angeli
Jan 12, 2016 Angeli rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
It took me a while to finish this because I put it down and read other things. I read most of it tonight, while waiting for and riding the train on my home. I continuously read. By the time I got out of the train, I was almost done. I officially reached the last page when I got home. That mostly says something about my country's transportation system but this book, if you are into it, you can have fun reading it in one day.

The first two chapters weren't that intriguing (reason wht I stopped read
Dana
Sep 04, 2011 Dana rated it liked it
This book is about two girls who are different from everybody else who happen to be best friends. They hang out and figure out that they both can play music. The only problem is one of their mothers. She wants Gellie to be famous and rich and a professional model/actress. Anyway, they decide to form a band, but they fight a lot because of the modeling, but of course, they totally make it in the end with a gig for their band and everything. The characters were definitely not Mary-Sues, which is s ...more
D.J.
Mar 24, 2010 D.J. rated it liked it
Really kind of noncomittal as far as this book goes -- it wasn't bad, but it didn't really have anything new / interesting to offer. Admittedly, I'm not the target audience, but I felt like there could have been a lot more depth and originality in the story.

I had trouble believing the main character, too -- a lot of the little touches that would usually provide insight into who she is felt false. For instance, the quotes that are mentioned as taped up on her wall; these seemed more designed by
Celia Gault
Nov 16, 2015 Celia Gault rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book who have friends that fit in, but you don't. And your friend keeps on trying to push you into doing popular things with them and their popular friends.
Lucia
Oct 22, 2012 Lucia rated it liked it
When I read this book for the first time, I thought it was a bit okay and kept reading further. As much courage to say it, I didn't like the cliquishness in the book too much but I liked the concept of two girls being raised in different situations like Angela was born to look beautiful and does what her mother says.

It's a true friendship story with girls breaking apart from the world of fantasy and from each other, but when the ending arrives, it might make you breathless. It's like a reality c
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I don't care for the "Description" of this book at all: not really accurate.

I really enjoyed this book. Some good fodder for teen and tween girls about being yourself, embracing creativity, and finding your own way separate from your parents. My 11 yr old daughter is reading it now and seems to be enjoying it.

I did not realize until I FINISHED the book that this was written by Nerissa Nields, who is part of one of my favorite indie girl bands, The Nields. I had to spend a few minutes just sittin
Michael
Nov 04, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
I don't read a lot of YA fiction, but was curious enough since Nerissa Nields of the folk-rock band/duo The Nields has been doing readings from this book forever (since long before it was published) and because it's tied to the themes of several of their recent albums. It's pretty good, I think, although I'm not really capable of gauging by the standards of the genre. There are two girls in their early teens, close friends, tugged by families with competing ideals about life goals. The love of m ...more
Kyuwon
Aug 26, 2010 Kyuwon rated it liked it
Plastic Angel, by Nerissa Nields, was one of the best books about friendship I've read over this summer. This books shows a life of two girls, who has totally different lives. What will you do if your mom tries to control your life? You're just a puppet of your mom, doing what your mom wants you to do. Will you take a rist of facing your mom and trying to get your own life, doing what you want to do?
Mar 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Includes Plastic Angel CD with 2 songs. Thirteen-year-old Randi, an aspiring singer-songwriter, spends the summer forming a band called Plastic Angel with her friend Gellie, and together they also make some decisions about the kind of people they want to be.
Kathryn
Dec 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone who belives that anything is possible. It about two girls who are besties. Gellie is a model and atress. Her mom will not let her be in a band with her friend. So Gellie and her friend fights to be in a band Plastic Angel.
LouAnne
The author of this book, Nerissa Nields is a song writer/singer and she actually has recorded the songs that the main characters Randie and Angela write and play in the book!
Check out one at--
Elise
Aug 28, 2010 Elise rated it it was ok
Eh. It was ok picked it up at the library if you have nothing to read its fine but dont expect anything from this mainly dry book.
Julie Bernstein
Jul 22, 2013 Julie Bernstein rated it liked it
Fun to discover that your tween daughter checked a book out of the library written by one of your favorite folk musicians. :-)
Lauren
Apr 04, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic coming-of-age novel that teaches you how to be your own person. I would recommend it to any young adult.
Miranda
Jun 30, 2012 Miranda added it
Shelves: fiction
This book was amazing it had family,friend, and personal problems incorporated into it. it compared to different worlds.
CLM
Jul 27, 2007 CLM rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This was cute but Nerissa should keep on singing... I gave it to my Yaley sister for Christmas.
Amanda
May 15, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Cute story, but there were some issues with keeping the tense the same through out. Worth the read.
jen
Jan 28, 2008 jen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
I am eagerly anticipating The Big Idea and also How to Be a Grownup.
Kendall
This book was pretty slow in the beginning as well, but got waaaaaaay better.
Emily
Mar 08, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amy
pretty nice story. names of characters were all distracting.
Megan  Garner
Jan 23, 2009 Megan Garner rated it it was amazing
i really liked this book!
Mitsu
Mitsu rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Tori Jane
Tori Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Sarah added it
Mar 10, 2016
Ava Grace
Ava Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
  • Better Off Famous?
  • Money Shot
  • Tempo Change
  • Jimi & Me
  • Dandelion Cottage (Dandelion Cottage, #1)
  • Blueprint Crochet