Start by marking “Germany” as Want to Read:

This high-quality multicultural series introduces young readers to the festivals and traditions of some of the most fascinating countries in the world. The cross section of peoples and lands included in Festivals of the World underscores the uniqueness of each people and the cultural diversity found on our planet. Every volume is written in a lively style with numerous con ...more
Published December 31st 1997 by Gareth Stevens Publishing (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Germany

Matthew Akers
Aug 03, 2012 Matthew Akers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, Lord, this was valuable while living in Germany, and specifically Bavaria.

This book was the beginning of an appreciation for foreign cultures, and why it is important to leave ours to see others.
Mar 27, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book can ruin some peoples desires to travel to Germany, as it make Germany look like a hard place to fit in and live and survive in when it's not.
Jan 13, 2010 Roni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-reference, own
I learned a great deal about German culture, customs, mentality and history. It helped me a lot to understand and respect better of my friends.
Jan 19, 2016 Denise rated it liked it
Festivals held in Germany are St. Martin's Day; Karneval; St. Nikolaus Day and Christmas; Oktoberfest and Walpurgis Night which is on April 30 and similar to Halloween in ways. Germany is surrounded by 11 other countries and located right in the middle of Europe.
May 03, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always read the Culture Shock books before any foreign travel. Though meant for those relocating to a country, they give real insight into life as a foreigner in a new land. Much more valuable than a travel book!
Iang95ify .
Oct 29, 2015 Iang95ify . rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deep insight into German culture - from settling down, to meeting the neighbours and working with people. Germans are thorough people.
Sep 10, 2011 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars ...

Living vicariously through my husband who is traveling to Germany for work... I love these books! (There is a whole Culture Shock series.) While they are meant for expats moving to foreign countries, they also help the savvy traveler become in tune with local culture and customs. It really is like a peek inside a foreign culture.

This book had the added bonus about being about Germany - the land of my forefathers. I was very curious to see which of my personality traits could be bl
Oct 09, 2013 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book leaves nothing out--it looks at every aspect of German culture and explains what to expect if you're planning on living/working in Germany, or just visiting. Unless you're planning on living in Germany, it might be a bit more than you wanted to know. Still, it probably does a pretty good job of identifying differences between the German and American cultures.
Linh Chi
Apr 02, 2014 Linh Chi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
info given in this book is quite helpful
Aug 02, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not read from cover to cover, nor did I read the whole thing. I picked through and read the sections I wanted to read, in random order, some more than once. It’s fun, delightful, interesting, educational and a great read! I’m going to buy it!

Erica Stratton
It's informative, but not really necessary to read unless you're moving to Germany. Although, now I kinda want to move to Germany, it seems my personality would fit in better there than America.
May 12, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to learn a bit about the German culture for work. It served its purpose. I learned some useful tidbits.
Really useful. Know what to expect in Germany.
Need to verify if it is still the case though:)
Dec 11, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: reference-books
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
E rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2016
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Eemei Eow
Eemei Eow rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Harrison Large
Harrison Large marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Raul added it
Jun 08, 2016
Amanda added it
Jun 04, 2016
Leila marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Touhid Kamal
Touhid Kamal marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
ausont added it
May 18, 2016
Thi Phạm
Thi Phạm marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Gary Hall
Gary Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Culture Shock! France
  • Culture Shock: India (Culture Shock! Guides)
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Alamo All-Stars
  • If America Were a Village: A Book about the People of the United States
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion
  • The Day of Ahmed's Secret
  • Culture Shock! Japan: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette
  • Raucous Royals: Test your Royal Wits: Crack Codes, Solve Mysteries, and Deduce Which Royal Rumors are True
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots