Start by marking “Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)

Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,992 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Sophie Katz has just offered a man $12,000 for his services… Is she desperate or just meshugeneh?

Considering the kind of disasters that usually befall the half-black, half-Jewish mystery writer, probably both. Because the last time Sophie saw sexy P.I. Anatoly Darinsky, he practically danced a jig when she waved goodbyea normal reaction for a man who'd nearly bought the f

Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published March 20th 2007 by Red Dress Ink (first published April 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
211th out of 1,117 books — 388 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichNaked in Death by J.D. RobbWolf by Kelly OliverGlory in Death by J.D. RobbTwo for the Dough by Janet Evanovich
Kick ass female sleuths!
74th out of 342 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie H.
Jun 27, 2009 Julie H. rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, chick-lit
With a title like this, it didn't have to be good! I started this late one night/early one morning after finishing Laura Lippman's What the Dead Know--which was simply too unsettling to send your subconscious off into 5-6 hours of obsessing over--and it was just the trick. Main character Sophie Katz is a mystery writer cum-slightly incompetent but well-intentioned detective (a la Stephanie Plum as bounty hunter in Janet Evanovich's series) whose sister has just learned that her husband is having ...more
Shirley Worley
May 15, 2014 Shirley Worley rated it liked it
This second book in the series brings Sofie and her Russian love interest, Anatoly, closer together as they try to prove her sister Leah is innocent of murdering her womanizing husband. The two sisters seem as different as night and day. Frankly, even for a light-hearted chick-lit, Leah gets on my nerves a bit and her poor parenting skills seem off-kilter for a woman who coveted being a wife and mother and providing her executive husband with all the material appearances of a perfect life. I thi ...more
Tina
Feb 16, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! If was a bright, funny mystery novel featuring half black-half Jewish mystery writer Sophie Katz. Her wanna be Martha Stewart sister, Leah is accused of the murder of her husband Bob.

But Sophie is convinced of Leah's innocence. She hires the handsome Russian PI Anatoly to help investigate Bob's murder. The two of them uncover facts about Bob's double life and the two of them get closer together as well.

Like I said, this book was fun. I loved the characterizations
Valerie Andrews
Sep 09, 2015 Valerie Andrews rated it liked it
Kyra Davis knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat, or at least surprised at the tangled web she weaves.

When Leah, Sophie's sister, finds out her husband is cheating, she cries on Sophie's shoulder. When that same husband turns up dead, Leah is Suspect #1 and again turns to Sophie. Sophie turns to Anatoly, hiring him to do the private investigation that will unearth the real killer.

Nobody will say anything bad about Bob (except Leah), so who would have wanted him dead? His devoted secret
Vicki
Nov 09, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Great follow up to the adventures of Sophie Katz. Once again she gets involved with people she shouldn't have but manages to make it work in the end with help from her handsome Russian crush and her band of friends: hairdresser, make up consultant, and sex toy shop keeper. The book series is fast paced and entertainingly funny.
Dee Dee Walker
Apr 28, 2011 Dee Dee Walker rated it it was ok
This book just didn't have enough substance to keep me interested. I was hoping to find something comparable to Janet Evanivitch but it fell flat. I found the humor was mostly in the form of sarcastic one liners. I can't say that the plot really worked for me either.
Leticia Vega
Feb 23, 2014 Leticia Vega rated it liked it
Ok. So I was rolling my eyes at times, but it was just as fun of a read as the first. Yeah, its predictable. Yeah, it has it's fair share of clichés. Oh, but it was fun. So if you're looking for a light and fun escape, then its definitely worth it. But if you're looking for something smart and intellectually challenging, don't even think about picking this one up.

Though it was just as fun as the first book in the series- I didn't run out and buy the next book in the series. After two books, I g
Amy
Jun 26, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing

Loving Sophie Katz and her situations she is always finding herself in. And Anatoly sounds hot. One to book 3.
Mooncat
Sep 29, 2015 Mooncat rated it liked it
Okay, so I liked this way better than the first of the series, which gives me hope, that if the author could make such a jump, especially as it's the second book that usually is the weakest in a series, then I may come to really enjoy the next one.
Albeit Sophie still acts just plain stupid a lot of times, she did show more sense overall.
As for Anatoly - sigh. I'm sorry, he just doesn't do it for me all that much. He changes his colors way too often. Frankly said, I see more sparks in her intera
Krista
Jun 20, 2016 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, library, 2016
I really like this author's writing, it's funny and interesting and the story keeps me hooked. Once again the characters were great. It was nice seeing characters from the first book have a bigger role in this one, giving them more background. I figured out who done it late in the book but even then I wasn't completely correct so I like that's actually a mystery.
I wanted to read the third book but I'm not sure the library have that one but has the rest in the series so I'm skipping it and going
Holly
Nov 14, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Chibineko
This was one of two Davis books that I read within a twenty four hour period this weekend, with the only reason I didn't finish the third one being that at some point I did have to sleep. These books were that addicting.

This book picks up where the last left off, with Sophie trying to help her sister Leah while also attempting to win back the affections of Anatoly, the guy she mistook for a homicidal murderer in book one. (Hey, a girl can make a mistake, right?) I'm going to be somewhat spoiler
Kathleen Hagen
Sex, Passion and Killer Highlights, by Kyra Davis. B.
Produced by audible.com in partnership with the publisher, Harlequin.
This is the second book in a series published by harlequin in partnership with Audible.com. Sophie and Leah Katz are Jewish on their mother’s side of the family and African-American on their father’s side of the family. Sophie, the protagonist, is a crime fiction writer. Leah calls Sophie in tears because her husband has just informed her that he wants a divorce to marry a yo
Kara
Jul 05, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began this book on audio immediately after finishing the first (which literally got me hooked to this series). I loved the first one SO much that I may have had really really high expectations. Having said that, this book was good, but didn't pick up in my opinion till the last third. Also for some reason, Sophie's compulsive lying and inability to almost never have a serious moment really began to ware on me. Though they are her main traits (which I found funny in the first book)I think it wa ...more
Johnsergeant
Entertaining - in the style of Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum stories. The main characters are jewish/black american, so an interesting twist. The narrator did a good job.

Narrated by Gabra Zackman

9 hrs and 42 mins

Publisher's Summary

Sophie Katz has just offered a man $12,000 for his services. Is she desperate or just meshugeneh?
Francesca
Apr 27, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it
I'm so glad that Sophie and Anatoly finally got past what happened in the first book. This book has some hilarious moments, sad moments, surprising moments and sweet moments.

I kind of missed the supporting characters from the first book, they were there but they weren't. But, this was a more family leaning book. Leah, Sophie sister, is accused of murder and it really goes downhill from there for a while before it goes back uphill.

In all, I liked this book
Yang G
Mar 08, 2015 Yang G rated it liked it
Like all the series of this kind (does this genra have a name, like chick mysteries novel or something?), the first book is cute and fresh and promises more romance and adventure, but the subsequent books only reveal the annoying qualities of all the characters in the book and how their stupidity make the stories as long as they end up being. I did not like any of the characters in this book, and I don't think I will read any more of this series.
RJ
May 30, 2015 RJ rated it liked it
The book says it can stand alone but I disagree. In order to get the characters you need to have read the first book.
I liked that the 'together' sister, Leah, allows her faults to be known.
Sophie ' s attitude does wear on me though. If you are that sarcastic then take a moment to examine why you need to bash everyone.
Overall, an interesting mystery and the romance made me want to read the next in the series.
Laurie
May 03, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Second book of a romance murder mystery series always seems better in character wise, you seem to have more of a love for the romance better by then and then I hooked and just keep reading the next books to see what's going to happen to the two in the future. The murder part of this one was good, very drawn out but good. It needed a side story or something to help push it along.
Melissa Ward
Feb 08, 2011 Melissa Ward rated it really liked it
Kyra Davis - Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights
Red Dress Inc, 2006.

Following Davis' fiery debut novel to the Sophie Katz series, Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights comes as a bit of a let down. The suspense is surely lacking for the first portion of the story. Sophie encounters a new type of terror, one that threatens her slightly annoying, but still blood, sister. Despite the potential this story has, the plot fails to ever thicken enough to stand up to its predecessor. The supposed "
Kym
Dec 10, 2014 Kym rated it really liked it
This was a fun listen. There were some good, laugh-out-loud moments, a couple of slow bits, and there really are mystery & suspense involved. I can usually figure out who committed the crime relatively early in a book, but not so much these. Kyra Davis has recurring and peripheral characters, and maybe if she fleshed out the peripheral ones a little more, it could serve to heighten the mystery, though conversely, it may make it too easy to figure out.
There are generally 3 things I want fro
Urs
Apr 14, 2013 Urs rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense and chicklit lovers
This is the second book in the series, and it is the second one that I have read. In this book, mystery writer Sophie is up to her usual clumsy and fun sleuthing skills when she has to help her sister. Sophie's sister, Leah is a murder suspect this time, and Sophie enlists her favorite PI to help them find the real killer.

This was another quick, fun read from Kyra Davis. I was glad to see the return of Anatoly and more development of his relationship with Sophie. I was not sure if he would retur
Jun 09, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, audio-books
I absolutely loved the first book in this series, and unfortunately was let down a little bit by this book. I knew within the first few chapters the few paths this book could take. I didn't feel there was the element of surprise or suspense I felt when I read Sex, Murder and a Double Latte.

That being said, this was still a great read and I read it in roughly a 24 hour period. I'm 100% on Team Anatoly - so I was very happy with his presence in the book. This is a great book that combines chick li
Karen Rowe
No One Messes with My Sister

Leah is the kind of sister that makes you wonder if they you have the same parents. Sophie shows what lengths she will go through and how much money she will spend to protect her sister.

I love Sophie and her friends, Dena, Mary Ann, and Marcus.
Marisa
Jul 16, 2012 Marisa rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent sequel for me. While I did feel like the story played out very closely to the end of the last book and was therefore a tad unrealistic, I loved how this author does not feel the need to introduce several new characters of varying levels of neuroses to keep the prose exciting. This mystery was a slightly harder to crack in my opinion because of the layers of crime and indiscretions going on with the victims in the book, but at the same time it was a good read because it ...more
Kimberly
Jul 04, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
More like 3.5.

This was just what I was looking for - a fun, light escape. I enjoyed this one more than the first in the series. The books are definitely more chick lit than mystery - and that's a good thing when you're looking for something to just sit and enjoy.
Penney
Dec 20, 2011 Penney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery, chick-lit
This series makes me laugh, a lot. The eclectic cast is great, the mysteries are interesting and overall it's an entertaining read. My only problem, and the one thing that keeps this from being a four star read, is that the main character makes stupid mistake, after stupid mistake, after stupid mistake and never seems to learn from them. Or maybe she just doesn't care, that actually would be more in character for her. It's just annoying to read a book while constantly thinking, "Why is she doing ...more
Kath
Jan 13, 2010 Kath rated it really liked it
I somehow managed to transpose books 2 and 3 in this series, but I was easy to figure out the gaps. A great story that will really keep you guessing who did it and why. Like the others, it's filled with comedy, suspense and a little romance.

I am not a fan of Sophie's sister, who's accused of murder in this one, but she does lighten up a bit in this one and we get to see more from Sophie's very Jewish mother, who's a real hoot. And not to forget Anatoly, their relationship picks up in this book.
Tammi Thacker-Coleman
Feb 28, 2013 Tammi Thacker-Coleman rated it it was amazing
I was looking on iTunes for a good audio book to keep me busy while at the lake with my four teens & their friends. I found "Sex,Murder and a Double Latte" by: Kyra Davis and couldn't stop listening!

Now I've listened to or read all the books in The Sophie Katz series and can't wait for more!!

No matter how hard Sophie tries she just can't seem to stop getting involved in solving murder mysteries.

Sophie and her friends keep you drawn into every story right up until the last word.

Sophie's relat
Pat
Apr 06, 2016 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Cute book. Sophie's sister needs help so Sophie hires her "boyfriend" Anatoly to help.
Then she investigates herself.
Good dynamics between characters.
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Empowered, Volume 3 (Empowered, #3)
  • 3 Men and a Body (Body Movers, #3)
  • Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5)
  • "A" is for Apple (Sophie Green Mystery, #3)
  • Killer in High Heels (High Heels, #2)
  • Honey Badger Don't Care: Randall's Guide to Crazy, Nastyass Animals
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 11
  • Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Change of Heart (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #6)
  • Love You to Death
New York Times bestselling author of JUST ONE NIGHT, DECEPTIVE INNOCENCE, the Sophie Katz mysteries, SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPY ENDING and the upcoming DANGEROUS ALLIANCE, JUST ONCE MORE and JUST ONE LIE (July 28th, 2015).
More about Kyra Davis...

Sophie Katz Murder Mystery (6 books)
  • Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
  • Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #6)