Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Are all the lights on?

Is there a parent in the house?

Are the windows shut and locked? Double-check!

They HAVE to be if you are going to read this book, which is undoubtedly the scariest rendition of one of the greatest ghost stories ever told: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

While you may have heard of Ichabod Crane, Katrina Van Tassel, and the Headless Horseman, you've never S...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Gods of The Nowhere by James TipperDracula by Bram StokerTales From Dark Places by D.C. RogersSorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Gris Grimly
Books to get you in the Halloween Mood
5th out of 261 books — 285 voters
Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareEnglish Fairy Tales by Arthur RackhamThe Sleeping Beauty and Other Fairy Tales by Arthur Quiller-CouchThe Arabian Nights by Anonymous
Dover Calla Editions
22nd out of 35 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
I have made myself a small reading list for Halloween this year and this book happened to be at the top.

I loved it. Washington Irving's prose is (are?) fantastic. His descriptions of the upstate New York countryside in fall and at harvest are crisp and delicious. And his descriptions of Ichabod and his horse Gunpowder are ridicously funny.

For example:
"He [Ichabod] rode with short stirrups, which brought his knees nearly up to the pommel of the saddle; his sharp elbows stuck out like grasshopper...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was done perfectly, Grimly has a sketchy scrawny rough art style that lends itself to this retelling. (I adored how he drew the horse, Gunpowder!) It was also a good reminder of some of the aspects of the original story, like Crane being a ladies man, and spending most of his time scaring himself silly with ghost stories. Irving's writing reflects his time period, but he also has a subtle sense of humor and a way with words that I personally have always admired.
Davonna Juroe
The animated Disney version (with Bing Crosby) stays pretty true to this story. Definitely a fun read.

Interestingly, there is a Sleepy Hollow, New York which supposedly inspired the setting of this ghost story. http://www.sleepyhollowny.gov/index.php?...

And notably, there is a historic cemetery, (The Old Dutch Burying Ground) located near the town. Buried here is Catriena Ecker Van Tessel who, it is thought, was the inspiration for Irving's character Katrina Van Tassel. Interesting. http://www.o...more
Tashan
First of all, i understand that this is a book mostly written for youngsters but i didn't thought it to be that much pointless.
I'm almost angry at this story for being so irrelevant.

I expected a well written tale about a ghost, instead of that I struggled to go through all the description in this focus-less story. What i did get out of this story : description of the main character Ichabod, description of food, description of trees, 2 pages of pursuit by the pumpkin ghost, wobbly ending.
No sc...more
Leaire
The reason I like this book is because,I love books with monsters and ghosts and scary things,Example1.Also,I love the way they drew the pictures for the book,Example2.One challenge was, some words were hard to understand.The reason the book was challenging because,its hard to understand a book when you don't understand some words.1.the person in the story doesn't change.2.the story was told like a legend.3.characters don't talk at all, just act.4. the setting changes every page or 2 pages.5. th...more
Sarai
I had actually never read this story before. I like the format of this book with the words and pictures intermixed. The illustrations are great and fit the story well.

The book is recommended for ages 4-8 and I do wonder about that. For example, from the text: "Thus, in that ingenious way commonly denominated 'by hook and by crook,' the worthy pedagogue got on tolerably enough and was thought, by all who understood nothing of the labor of headwork, to have a wonderfully easy life of it." I'm not...more
Donald Armfield
We all know the tale of sleepy hollow, if you don't then what rock are you under. Gris Grimly takes the original tale by Washington Irving (1783-1859) and adds his artful imagination of illustrations and brings the story to life once again.

The use of color in different shades of orange my favorite color gives it a Halloween look. Gris Grimly is know for many other books, including Wicked Nursery Rhymes series. and Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness.

I read this at work Cracker Barrel
Jaimie
Grimly's illustrations pair perfectly with Irving's prose, as both are just slightly fantastical but carry also a sense of gravitas. A more grusome illustrator could have bent the legend in the direction of horror, but Grimly keeps the tone light with his bumbling (but lovable) rendition of Ichabod Crane and his escapades, which keeps the story clealy in the realm of slightly twisted comedy. The images of the Headless Horseman are scary, but readers know by the end of the story that the real cul...more
Salena Bateman
I liked the shorter retelling for the kids and we all enjoyed the macabre style illustrations.
Katie Watkins
10/12--This was a little harder to read aloud to my younger two kids. It was very wordy and the language was hard for them to understand. I still enjoyed it, but I had to basically interpret almost everything for them so they knew what was going on.

(10/10) Such a fun, descriptive story, especially for this time of the year (Halloween/autumn). I've seen the Disney cartoon version of this story, but hadn't ever read the book. I was pleasantly surprised--Irving does such a great job with words--I c...more
Patrick Birmingham
That was one of the greatest works of literature that Washington Irving created in the American era of the postwar. Many people read it as a tradition for every Halloween season. The logic actions, setting, and characters are interesting, including Ichabod Crane who shares his points of reason and science. It was indeed a fun story to learn at the beginning of my junior year in high school though. I also like its superstitions and details that make very comprehensive in literary ways.
Nicole Acheson
I have a book which contains some of the best ghost stories. In that book it has The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I found that this ghost story was a little bit different than what I am used to reading. This book has a lot of description and can be a little bit creepy, especially when the headless horseman shows up. I wish this book was longer, that way there could be more suspense and mystery in the story.
Katie
I was intrigued to know which of the many versions of this tale was the true one. I was surprised that the Disney Legend of Sleepy Hollow movie seemed pretty close to the actual story. I enjoyed this spooky little tale. I found it very humorous as well. I like that much is left to the imagination. You don’t know exactly what happened to Ichabod Crane or if the Headless Horseman really exist.
Susan
I haven't read this book in ages and had forgotten the story, thinking that all the movies, shows and animated versions followed somewhat to the book. Boy was I surprised, I always felt sorry for poor Ichabod, but after reading the story, I discovered how greedy and selfish he was. I never liked Brom Van Brunt in the adaptations, but after reading the book, I was rooting for him. Great reread.
Andrew Ives
A surprisingly-short and atmospheric story that bears little resemblance to the well-known Tim Burton film, this 'headlined' a Washington Irving anthology that included Rip Van Winkle and several other entertaining stories. I stumbled across a tatty paperback of it for 5p at a car boot sale, and thought "it must be worth 5p surely" & true enough, it was the best 5p I ever spent!
Jessie
Jul 27, 2011 Jessie added it
This piece is 90% setup and description, and 10% action, but I don’t mind a whit. Irving’s descriptions of Connecticut in autumn are delicious to read, and his characters are perfectly quirky. The mention of negroes in the story was a bit jarring, as their characterizations revealed the commonly held racism of the day, but even that couldn’t make me enjoy Sleepy Hollow any less.
Gretchen
Grimly's beautiful illustrations, rendered in a autumnal palette of ochre, pumpkin, gold and black, are both ghoulish and comically humorous, and thus perfect complements to Irving's wicked tale of the banishment of superstitious Ichabod Crane from the village of Sleepy Hollow. I much prefer this pairing to that of Grimly with Poe.
Sadie
When I went to check out a copy of Sleepy Hollow on a whim, and I found out it was going to be in the children's section of the library, I knew I was going to need the perfect illustrations and this was it! The art was perfect for this classic tale and this one is definitely something I need to put on my shelves!
♪ Kim
I listened to an audio version (narrated by B.J. Harrison) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Washington Irving was a fabulous storyteller. I appreciated the immediacy of his descriptions - the way he draws you into the story and makes you feel as if you're experiencing it firsthand.
Orrin Grey
If there is something more suited to Halloween reading than Gris Grimly illustrating Edgar Allan Poe stories, it's probably him doing "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." I love the pages with the spooks straight out of vintage Halloween greeting cards!
Summer
The illustrations are wonderful and capture the feel of the story!! I started smiling the minute I started to read it. So far the pictures are hauntingly good. Gris Grimly's media is watercolor. :)

A fun read for this time of year! :)
I loved this! I'd definitely recommend and read again. I was surprised how much the Disney rendition was almost completely like reading the book. I would definitely get others to read this!
Melissa Mcavoy
Great illustrated, abridged version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Gris Grimly brings his humorous and Gothic imagination to this classic tale. Perfect for 4th-7th grade.
Shannon
love the passage about wanting to steal from the world into a private place to dwell on one's own thoughts and daydreams. It's one of my favorites in all of literature.
Jerry Zike
An absolutely beautiful glimpse into early American culture. The prose delivers a rich flavor of the agricultural life of the time before the Revolution.
Patricia
This is a fast read, but a great story, I am wondering did I get the right book? Is there another story of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow with more pages?
Earline
classic! The Gris Grimly illustrations are amazing and a great way to get a new generation and/or reluctant readers interested in this spooky tale.
Miriam
I loved the fanciful descriptions, especially of the food and the country side. This is enjoyable to read and especially in the Autumn.
Tammy
I didn’t care for the style of writing. The story doesn’t get as deeply into it as I would like either. I didn’t love it…
Matt Ambs
OH MAN DO I LOVE WASHINGTON IRVING!!! Such a brilliant writer and talk about establishing an atmosphere!!!!
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon
  • Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave
  • Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account Of The 1938 War Of The Worlds Radio Broadcast
  • The Man Whom the Trees Loved
  • The Music of Erich Zann
  • Cinderella Skeleton
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • Otto's Orange Day
  • How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
  • Goal!
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 3: A Jester's Tale
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
  • One More Sunrise
  • Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers: Magical Tales of Love and Seduction
Gris Grimly is an artist and storyteller who is based in the Los Angeles area best known for his darkly whimsical children's books.
More about Gris Grimly...
Gris Grimly's Frankenstein Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes II Little Jordan Ray's Muddy Spud Where Madness Reigns: The Art of Gris Grimly